iPhone 6 And 6 plus warping the while in pocket

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
If it's a "non-issue" then why is apple going to issue replacements... and no it's not because they realize it is a flaw, they just want the bad PR to go away. It is an issue, whether you want to believe it or not. And yes the video of the guy putting a ton of force on it should not be the standard, but still shouldn't be bending in peoples pockets.
iPhone 6 Plus Bendgate: free replacements and warranty details | BGR
It's called "PR", PUBLIC RELATIONS.

Sent from my ancient but trustworthy iPhone 5

HankAZ

Banned
Jul 26, 2012
Visit site
Let's look at the Consumer Report test video carefully. IMO, the testing is flawed because the contact point of the bending with the machine is right in the middle bottom of the device. Most of the reported damages come from the volume button area, which is not the middle. Apparently, that area of the device has less structural support, so bending is easier than the middle and other parts of the device. Besides, these tests, including that of the Youtube video guy are different from the real bents. The 9 reports claim the bent or warp come from placing the device in pockets, and within a certain amount of time, the bent, big or small around the volume area is visible. I think the pocket damage would not likely be in the middle with the way the device is settled in the pockets and the shape of our legs and behind. No one in the own right mind would like to simply test out the bending like Consumer Report or the YouTube guy with their precious new device, so the awareness would motivate people like me to buy a case. I don't see how this is trashing Apple or warrant being called a troll.

And to my point earlier, since some posters claim that aluminum tend to bend anyway, then why not be surprised that only 9 consumers complained? Shouldn't there be more? That argument can't go both ways.

Why only 9 complaints? Maybe most people tend to take care of their tech toys. Not every 400 pounder with a 5.5" smart phone is dumb enough to sit on it.

Like with all issues, vote with your wallet. If you think it’s a flawed device, then don’t buy it. I have one. I love it. I am not concerned about it bending.

#Lies #DamnLies #Statistics

Sammuel1973

Nov 23, 2013
Visit site
Why only 9 complaints? Maybe most people tend to take care of their tech toys. Not every 400 pounder with a 5.5" smart phone is dumb enough to sit on it.

Like with all issues, vote with your wallet. If you think it?s a flawed device, then don?t buy it. I have one. I love it. I am not concerned about it bending.

But are you saying that people putting their new IPhones in their pockets, front or back, are not taking care of them? If a 400 pounder is dumb enough to sit on it, what about a 200 pounder? ;) Can you show us out of the 9 complainers, which of them was a 400 pounder who sat on their new iPhone?

Personally, I hope that Apple would make their next generation of IPhones thicker with a bigger battery, and perhaps the bending issue would be nonexistent.

IMO, to expect consumers not to pocket their phones is unfair.

calebt

Sep 28, 2013
Visit site

Like with all issues, vote with your wallet. If you think it’s a flawed device, then don’t buy it. I have one. I love it. I am not concerned about it bending.

I little harsh, but to the point.

calebt

Sep 28, 2013
Visit site
But are you saying that people putting their new IPhones in their pockets, front or back, are not taking care of them? If a 400 pounder is dumb enough to sit on it, what about a 200 pounder? ;) Can you show us out of the 9 complainers, which of them was a 400 pounder who sat on their new iPhone?

Personally, I hope that Apple would make their next generation of IPhones thicker with a bigger battery, and perhaps the bending issue would be nonexistent.

IMO, to expect consumers not to pocket their phones is unfair.

I don’t care what phone you put in your pocket front or back, if you sit on it the wrong way it will break, if the phone is in the wrong position in your front pocket, when you sit or bend it will break. I don’t think Apple expects consumers not to pocket their phones, but the consumers have to be responsible for where they place their phones.

Sammuel1973

Nov 23, 2013
Visit site
I don?t care what phone you put in your pocket front or back, if you sit on it the wrong way it will break, if the phone is in the wrong position in your front pocket, when you sit or bend it will break. I don?t think Apple expects consumers not to pocket their phones, but the consumers have to be responsible for where they place their phones.
That's the thing though, no one purposely sits on it the wrong way, if anyone has already. To be overly careful on how to sit, how to pocket place, what clothing should be worn, how much weight you need to lose, etc all to protect an alleged fragile phone is absurd. I have owned a Note 2 and Note 3, and these things never crossed my mind.

Anyway, if we need to take these precautions, aren't we admitting that these IPhones are indeed more prone to bending than previous generations? If they are not, then I don't understand what the fuss is about. If they are, imo, Apple needs to pre-warn consumers or provide free cases.

jdhooghe

Aug 25, 2013
Visit site
I find it interesting that the YouTube video is no longer valid for these people. That suddenly bending in the middle is not valid anymore and the consumer reports study is not valid. Now who is making excuses? Making excuses for an obese man to put pressure on his phone. Seriously? And no one expects that there are no more than 9 idiots in the world; there will be more. In fact it sounds like people are expecting computers to be as indestructible as abacuses and phones to be as indestructible as old school Nokias. The fact that people expect malleable aluminum phones to be as sturdy as polycarbonate is seriously moronic. That people don't need to be held accountable for properly caring for their product is also moronic.

The fact of the matter is that people don't care that the iPhone users phones bends, they are too busy rejoicing in the top god falling. Why isn't there a burn-gate for Samsung products catching on fire? Tell me. This isn't about caring about quality control this is about people conducting a smear campaign. If people actually cared they would they treat their chosen platform with the same illogical and childish behavior as they to Apple? No. They would say **** happens or let's look and see if more than 2 people on the INTERNET are experiencing it. From now on, I want you all to believe everything on the Internet and throw away all science. If you are all saying we are all ignorant for not accepting your view, I fully expect you all to, once again, to believe everything on the Internet and reject scientific testing. GG. 'Murica

Sammuel1973

Nov 23, 2013
Visit site
I don't think calling the 9 complainers as idiots is helpful and fair. Did they know their phones would bend when placed in their pockets, not talking about sitting on them? What have they done that was so stupid and wrong? If anyone who is moronic is Apple. They designed a phone that is much thinner, taller, and made of aluminum, so why be surprised that it may be more proned to bend than previous generations? Perhaps they are willing to gamble on beautiful design over build quality this time around?

As for the Youtube video guy and Consumer Report, both offered extreme cases, not real life normal usage. Like I said earlier, the volume button area seems to be the weakest point, and I suspect in due time if the phone is caseless, there will be varying degree of warp. So yes, going naked with it can be seen as moronic going forward.

Last edited:

HAWK

Oct 24, 2013
Visit site
Every year apple has a "thing" that people complain about. But the same people who complain weirdly end up with an iPhone in the end

Laughinghyena

Sep 21, 2013
Visit site
I don't think calling the 9 complainers as idiots is helpful and fair. Did they know their phones would bend when placed in their pockets, not talking about sitting on them? What have they done that was so stupid and wrong? If anyone who is moronic is Apple. They designed a phone that is much thinner, taller, and made of aluminum, so why be surprised that it may be more proned to bend than previous generations? Perhaps they are willing to gamble on beautiful design over build quality this time around?

As for the Youtube video guy and Consumer Report, both offered extreme cases, not real life normal usage. Like I said earlier, the volume button area seems to be the weakest point, and I suspect in due time if the phone is caseless, there will be varying degree of warp. So yes, going naked with it can be seen as moronic going forward.

speak for yourself. I pocket my naked 6 in my skinny jeans without thinking twice. It's a solid device.

Sent from my gold iPhone 6

Sammuel1973

Nov 23, 2013
Visit site
Every year apple has a "thing" that people complain about. But the same people who complain weirdly end up with an iPhone in the end
Well for me, because of the bend issue, I will wait for another 3 months to reconsider the new IPhones, preferably the Plus, will give some time for the next batch. Or, wait for the IPhone S6 or IPhone 7.

HankAZ

Banned
Jul 26, 2012
Visit site
Well for me, because of the bend issue, I will wait for another 3 months to reconsider the new IPhones, preferably the Plus, will give some time for the next batch. Or, wait for the IPhone S6 or IPhone 7.

Or you could just crawl back into your android cave and be done with it.

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site

Wait 3 years...3 decades...I'm not sure what your expecting to happen. Time doesn't change people's poor decision making when handling their phones.

reeneebob

Jun 10, 2011
Visit site
That's the thing though, no one purposely sits on it the wrong way, if anyone has already. To be overly careful on how to sit, how to pocket place, what clothing should be worn, how much weight you need to lose, etc all to protect an alleged fragile phone is absurd. I have owned a Note 2 and Note 3, and these things never crossed my mind.

Anyway, if we need to take these precautions, aren't we admitting that these IPhones are indeed more prone to bending than previous generations? If they are not, then I don't understand what the fuss is about. If they are, imo, Apple needs to pre-warn consumers or provide free cases.

I own a 6 Plus and it's never crossed my mind either. It's in my pocket, caseless, every damn day.

Craig

Jan 17, 2011
Visit site
You know.. when that 16 y/o girl ran the stop sign and hit the side of my car the metal caved in and the tire bent. Should I get another one of those cars or wait until a car is made that can still be hit by a tank and not have a ding. Maybe car 7s.

f26.jpg

reeneebob

Jun 10, 2011
Visit site
So now it's the 9 complainers' fault that their new IPhones bent, UNKNOWINGLY how fragile their phones are?

The way you are whining and carrying on, they are paper.

So you tell me, smart guy, all knowing one, when my iPhone 6 plus will bend? I've had it over a week and it lives in my front and back pocket. I don't carry it any differently than any other phone over ever owned. I don't use a case. The way you are moaning it should look like a damn taco shell and yet...stick straight. Hell it was in my front pocket at work yesterday for 4 HOURS while I did paperwork SITTING. CUE THE SCREAMING AND PANIC.

What do you recommend I do to bend my phone? Frankly I'm disappointed it hasn't bent yet when it happens so easily (according to you). I mean, I'm not 400 pounds but I'm a size 16 female, so it DEFINITELY should be a rooooooooooned by now, right?

Please. EDUCATE ME.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Thomas Woods