iPhone 6 And 6 plus warping the while in pocket

cardfan

Oct 26, 2004
Visit site
People will always look for something to tear down Apple. Just the way it is. It gets attention. It justifies their own choice for some other device.

I've seen users of all platforms who barely know how to operate their devices. I've seen people too poor to really afford any device but they foolishly do it anyways. And so it really matters to them that they go out of their way to rationalize their choice.

So yeah I heard my 25 year old niece about the bending as she held up her Samsung bloatware special she got for 99 cents. I smiled and said no problems here though. And then thought sadly she'll always be stuck making min wage. How does she even afford her 99 cent piece of garbage? Truth is she can't.

She has no savings. Lives paycheck to paycheck. No desire to gain skills. And lives with parents. At least there's no kids yet.

But for a moment she was able to have some joy teasing me about bending iPhones. I'm glad she got some joy out of it all things considered.

HAWK

Oct 24, 2013
Visit site
People will always look for something to tear down Apple. Just the way it is. It gets attention. It justifies their own choice for some other device.

I've seen users of all platforms who barely know how to operate their devices. I've seen people too poor to really afford any device but they foolishly do it anyways. And so it really matters to them that they go out of their way to rationalize their choice.

So yeah I heard my 25 year old niece about the bending as she held up her Samsung bloatware special she got for 99 cents. I smiled and said no problems here though. And then thought sadly she'll always be stuck making min wage. How does she even afford her 99 cent piece of garbage? Truth is she can't.

She has no savings. Lives paycheck to paycheck. No desire to gain skills. And lives with parents. At least there's no kids yet.

But for a moment she was able to have some joy teasing me about bending iPhones. I'm glad she got some joy out of it all things considered.

Very well said.......

HankAZ

Banned
Jul 26, 2012
Visit site
Let’s be honest here. First of all, every one of us has a favorite device. To some extent, we all want to think that we made the best choice. We all defend our position when challenged - some are more capable of this than others, but we all try. After all, our choices define us. Maybe not in the same way for each of us, but they do define us. They often cause us to be realistic about what we have chosen and, more importantly, why we chose what we did. Is it best for us? Is it a status symbol? Does it scream "look at me, I’m cool because I have [this phone] or [that one]?

There are and will always be flaws of some magnitude with whatever tech tool/toy we buy. Some are truly nits. Others are major flaws. What happens next is typical and predictable. Because we need to feel like we made the best choice in phone platform and device choice, we are forced to defend that choice. At the same time, those of other persuasions feel the need to point out the flaws - beating the drums loudly regardless of how major or minor, or how isolated or widespread the flaws actually turn out to be.

Call it insecurity. Call it jealousy. It doesn’t matter. But when these platform-specific proselytizers appear, they will take whatever means necessary to disparage the choices of others and tell how the device of their choosing is better. They feel the need to completely trash other platforms and to cast a positive light on the platform/device of their choice.

The flaws in various devices pointed out above by jdhooghe are perfect examples. Are these instances true? Absolutely. Are they widespread occurrences? Perhaps. Are they lightning rods for the haters of those platforms? Often, yes. But most of the time, all we see are the surface reports that make the headlines. We don’t get the full backstory about events leading up to the flaming Samsung or the bent Lumina or the bent iPhone 6 Plus.

And let’s be honest. There are those users of each platform who blindly drink the Kool-Aid of their particular brand. Fortunately, the truth is somewhere in the middle. Stuff happens. But rarely, does that actually rise to the level of the cries that "the sky is falling".

As far as I am concerned, I use iPhone. It works for me. I take reasonable care of my phone, and so far, it just works. Does that mean that Apple is perfect? Nope. Neither are their devices. Apple seems to be in the midst of a series of PR nightmares. Some of it is real. Most of it is self-inflicted. And this, too, shall pass.

I’m done here.

iMark

Jun 15, 2009
Visit site
Had it for two days. Only pocket it was in was nice, loose, shirt pocket. Never in pants. There's a slight warp to it. Not an issue....except......when it's laying flat on my desk and I'm tapping the keyborad, it makes a banging sound.

HankAZ

Banned
Jul 26, 2012
Visit site
Had it for two days. Only pocket it was in was nice, loose, shirt pocket. Never in pants. There's a slight warp to it. Not an issue....except......when it's laying flat on my desk and I'm tapping the keyborad, it makes a banging sound.

Um, how big are your boobs, dude? You’re trying to tell us that you kept it in a loose shirt pocket and bent it? B.S.

And are you sure it’s "bent"? Or is that wobble because of the slightly protruding camera lens?

I really am done here. This whole subject getting ridiculuous.

iMark

Jun 15, 2009
Visit site
Upon closer observation, I am an i.d.i.o.t. - never looked at the camera lens that closely. I spent too much time walking around and puting it on every flay surface I could find.

Thanks for pointing that out without stooping to insults.

Last edited:

Nogitsune Micah

May 25, 2013
Visit site
First of all, I am posting and visiting MORE on imore these days...since I don't even use my Lumia Presently, I use my 6.

When the Lumia 920 came out and people were whining about the phone being thick/heavier than the iphone 5(I think that's the model that was out November 2012) and whatever crappy android phones were popular...I could understand people mocking or calling BS.

However when the HTC 8x Came out, Many owners and non-8x owners but windows phone users weren't sitting around trying to blame the customer. The Blame went towards HTC and rightfully so.

Nobody SHOULD be gloating over this(Samsung was the same company who the GPS didn't work on their original Galaxy Phones and they actually never fixed it or if they did, it took ages...and like you said a Samsung caught fire.) But no I don't really see this level of arrogance on WPC where people act like they are BETTER than others by using this particular device.

This mentality that anyone who speaks ill of apple is exactly the reason Apple users have the stereotype they have(Of course, I've been here a little while so i know not everyone is like that but comments in this thread from various people definitely put more weight on it).

We won't ignore the update debacle this week and how many people were trying to make excuses for that(and the fact apple pushed out a less than 100 percent IOS 8 instead of delaying it and likely preventing said debacle from happening).

And you don't see "arrogance" at WPCentral? Really? REALLY? If someone is going to be stupid, I'm going to call them out on it. If people think that 2 INTERNET(One of them obese) people are a sufficient sample size to conclude that the iPhone 6+ is defective, I'm going to call them out on it. I'm going to call anyone who takes that as sufficient evidence as being one of the most ignorant people on this planet. That is not how science is done. If you did a school project and you cited 2 internet people as evidence for the iPhone as being structurally unsound you would fail so why is it ok here? That is NOT sufficient evidence. If 2 people showed on the internet that their HTC 8X backing was dirty, would you think it was a defect? Or did you, like everyone else, wait and see other reports? Did you gloat over it when it finally came out that it was a defect or were you supportive? If I listen to a Samsung person gloat over this then I'm going to shove the Samsung phone catching on fire in his face and call him out on his hypocrisy. If a Lumia owner is going to gloat over the bending iPhone, I'm going to shove the bending Lumia 925 in his face and call him a hypocrite. Can you honestly say with what you observe at WPCentral is not arrogance? Every other post on there is a bash against Apple or any other manufacturer. Go to CrackBerry and AndroidCentral while you're at it and then come back here and read the posts. Quit thinking yourself superior dude; It will do you and WPCentral a world of good.

Sammuel1973

Nov 23, 2013
Visit site
iPhone 6 And 6 Plus Bend Test - Consumer Reports News

WAY overblown by Apple-hating tech bloggers pimping their intellectual ordure.
The consumer report bend tests miss the point. I am confused why some folks here continue to look the other way. IMO, the bend issue is a legit concern and the awareness of it is warranted.

ETA: no one here is hating on Apple or saying that the new IPhones suck. When you make millions of devices, there will be a certain number of them not in the best quality as the rest, and if you are one of those unlucky ones who have them, just take extra precaution.

Last edited:

Les74

May 30, 2011
Visit site
The consumer report bend tests miss the point. I am confused why some folks here continue to look the other way. IMO, the bend issue is a legit concern and the awareness of it is warranted.

Yeah, it's concerning.....to all NINE people it affected.

Sammuel1973

Nov 23, 2013
Visit site
Yeah, it's concerning.....to all NINE people it affected.
9 documented users, could be a lot more, especially in due time. We don't know yet, so best to have a case. I see the same posters claiming physics in their argument that aluminum does bend, so wouldn't it makes sense that those posters should be surprised of only 9 complaints? Those folks can't have it both ways.

Nogitsune Micah

May 25, 2013
Visit site
I think it's laughably sad more so than the issue itself being made bigger than it is, is the fact people are genuinely annoyed/mad that anyone is speaking ill of the Almighty Apple :p

I mean the responses here and on Apple centric sites are
1. Pathetic
2. Sad
3. But highly amusing

that people are actually this bothered by people complaining about the phone's warping. I seriously doubt it was just 9 people who it affected......i do n't think it effected many people but I am willing to bet it was MORE than just 9 people who it affected.

kch50428

Oct 22, 2010
Visit site
Who's looking the other way here? People trashing on Apple when an objective test proves that iPhones are just as bendy as competing products, yet enthusiasts of those competing products ignore the truth that Consumer Reports has proven.

HankAZ

Banned
Jul 26, 2012
Visit site
So you don't see the flaws in their tests?

Wow. First 9 people complained and the world was ready to end. Then objective organization, who spend more time and money testing stuff that I can imagine, says it’s overblown. Now they weren't testing it right.

Haters gotta hate, I guess. Like I said, I’m moving on. #sendInTheTrolls

Les74

May 30, 2011
Visit site
I think it's laughably sad more so than the issue itself being made bigger than it is, is the fact people are genuinely annoyed/mad that anyone is speaking ill of the Almighty Apple :p

I mean the responses here and on Apple centric sites are
1. Pathetic
2. Sad
3. But highly amusing

that people are actually this bothered by people complaining about the phone's warping. I seriously doubt it was just 9 people who it affected......i do n't think it effected many people but I am willing to bet it was MORE than just 9 people who it affected.

And, yet, you took time out of your busy life to post on this "pathetic and sad" site. Sounds as though you're the one with the problem.

Les74

May 30, 2011
Visit site
Wow. First 9 people complained and the world was ready to end. Then objective organization, who spend more time and money testing stuff that I can imagine, says it?s overblown. Now they weren't testing it right.

Haters gotta hate, I guess. Like I said, I?m moving on. #sendInTheTrolls

The trolls are already here.

Sammuel1973

Nov 23, 2013
Visit site
Wow. First 9 people complained and the world was ready to end. Then objective organization, who spend more time and money testing stuff that I can imagine, says it?s overblown. Now they weren't testing it right.

Haters gotta hate, I guess. Like I said, I?m moving on. #sendInTheTrolls
Let's look at the Consumer Report test video carefully. IMO, the testing is flawed because the contact point of the bending with the machine is right in the middle bottom of the device. Most of the reported damages come from the volume button area, which is not the middle. Apparently, that area of the device has less structural support, so bending is easier than the middle and other parts of the device. Besides, these tests, including that of the Youtube video guy are different from the real bents. The 9 reports claim the bent or warp come from placing the device in pockets, and within a certain amount of time, the bent, big or small around the volume area is visible. I think the pocket damage would not likely be in the middle with the way the device is settled in the pockets and the shape of our legs and behind. No one in the own right mind would like to simply test out the bending like Consumer Report or the YouTube guy with their precious new device, so the awareness would motivate people like me to buy a case. I don't see how this is trashing Apple or warrant being called a troll.

And to my point earlier, since some posters claim that aluminum tend to bend anyway, then why not be surprised that only 9 consumers complained? Shouldn't there be more? That argument can't go both ways.

Last edited:

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CØR