iPhone 6 AT&T - not getting LTE?

GPD1739A

Jun 22, 2010
Visit site
I just upgraded from my aged but still fully functional iPhone 4 to a iPhone 6 - after several hours of going through the activation process, I'm finally up and running - with one issue.

My cell data signal is coming through as "4G", not "LTE".

I've checked the local phone settings and have made sure that LTE is turned on for both voice and data - and have tried restarting/doing full power off and power on several times, with no success.

I know that I have LTE data available in my area - my wife's 5C comes up as LTE when she's sitting next to me on the couch.

Any ideas before I call AT&T Premier Support?

--Chris
--iPhone 6 AT&T 128GB Space Grey (formerly iPhone 4 AT&T 32GB)
--iPad Mini 64GB Verizon
--New iPad (gen 3) 64GB Verizon

sau124

Aug 13, 2012
Visit site
Try reset network settings - if they does not work I would check with Apple. Personally, I don't think AT&T might be able to help. It might be a hardware issue and Apple can run diagnostics and verify the same.

Good luck.

KennyMcCormack

Sep 12, 2014
Visit site
I constantly swap sim cards between my locked and unlocked devices. If AT&T's system didn't automatically change your data plan from HSPA+ to LTE when you activated, you may need to call and ask to make sure it is properly provisioned.

GPD1739A

Jun 22, 2010
Visit site
Thanks for the replies - I'm talking to AT&T now to see what they can find. I did see "Data unlimited for iPhone on 4G LTE (grandfathered)" in the order information, so they *should* (emphasis on the SHOULD) have set it properly. If AT&T can't help, I'll schedule something at my nearby Apple store since I'm sure they'll tell me I have to make a Genius Bar appointment.

I did check the Network settings and verified that it was set up for LTE for Voice and Data.

LCW

Jul 3, 2010
Visit site
I did check the Network settings and verified that it was set up for LTE for Voice and Data.

Maybe that's part of the issue? I don't believe AT&T is setup to offer VoLTE right now, so since you have your settings for LTE "Voice and Data" rather than "Data Only", might be causing your phone to not switch to LTE at all, since AT&T can't support it for voice.

Try switching the LTE setting to "Data Only".

OBF

Jul 8, 2014
Visit site
That happens to me to, but with the new Cricket. Which is basically At&ts coverage.

Sent from my Space Grey iPhone 5s using Tapatalk

LCW

Jul 3, 2010
Visit site
Btw - "Voice and Data" is not enabled by default for a reason. Many areas and so far NON-Verizon users can't make use of it.

sau124

Aug 13, 2012
Visit site
I am on AT&T and have "Voice and Data" selected in my carrier settings and I get LTE here in the NYC area. I would rule that option out. Let us know how your call with AT&T goes and if they can come up with a solution (I doubt)