Please don't confuse this with "unlocked". I'm talking about buying any of the carrier versions for the full off-contract price (I'm also aware of the T-Mobile model, which I ordered, but this still bugs me).

Apple has done this every year and I still don't understand it. They sell the hardware. They get the money for the phone no matter what. I can walk into an AT&T store or Verizon store and buy an iPhone at full price. So why does store.apple.com go out of its way to prevent you from doing the same?

If you select an iPhone 6 from any carrier, then proceed to the next screen, it gives you 2 options: 1) New contract, 2) existing contract. For me, personally, I'm on a corporate plan, so I can't even use my line to check eligibility. I literally just need to buy the phone outright with no contract check. I do this all the time at AT&T. Apple sells the phones, yet there's literally no way for me to do this on their site.

I have no desire to go to the store and line up. I should be able to buy one and have it waiting, yet I can't do that without using a contract option. I'm aware that the unlocked versions aren't out yet, but I should still be able to buy an AT&T phone (locked or not) at full price from the company that manufactures it.

I actually already have a 6 Plus (T-Mobile) coming for delivery on Tuesday, because I was smart enough to stay up and preorder. I'm just utterly confused as to why Apple makes it so difficult to simply buy the phones outright from them.

Last year for the 5s, I ordered the phone using my dad's AT&T account for in-store pickup. When I got there, I told them I didn't want to use the upgrade, I just wanted to buy the phone outright (it was the only way to reserve one). It created this huge ordeal and they told me they had to cancel the order and then didn't think there would be on in stock for me to buy. I pointed out that if they canceled that order, it would free up THAT phone, which I should then be able to purchase. I manager had to get involved, but they allowed it. My question is: Why did it have to be so difficult? Why can't I simply buy your product outright on your site?

Sent from my Surface Pro 3 using Tapatalk

Sent from my Surface Pro 3 using Tapatalk
    09-21-2014 01:15 PM
    My guess is that it has something to do with arrangements made with the carriers. Same reason that they wait a month or more to offer unlocked phones. But annoying, I agree.
    09-21-2014 01:22 PM
    Checking my eligibility for AT&T on pre-order night using the Apple Store app, I was able to buy the phone outright.

I was eligible for the "Next" plan that they have, and I decided to just pay the full price. If you're actually able to check your eligibility, it will let you purchase the phone outright. If you walk straight into the store, you can buy any iPhone outright no matter the carrier. I understand where you're coming from here though. But I think Apple and the carriers are more concerned with fulfilling upgrades at the beginning.

Bottom line: Your problem is initiated by not being able to even check your own eligibility through the Apple site.
    09-21-2014 01:36 PM
    Checking my eligibility for AT&T on pre-order night using the Apple Store app, I was able to buy the phone outright.

I was eligible for the "Next" plan that they have, and I decided to just pay the full price. If you're actually able to check your eligibility, it will let you purchase the phone outright. If you walk straight into the store, you can buy any iPhone outright no matter the carrier. I understand where you're coming from here though. But I think Apple and the carriers are more concerned with fulfilling upgrades at the beginning.

Bottom line: Your problem is initiated by not being able to even check your own eligibility through the Apple site.
    Regardless, there should still be an option to simply buy the phone outright without the need to involve your account.
    09-21-2014 03:33 PM
    Regardless, there should still be an option to simply buy the phone outright without the need to involve your account.
    Agreed. But at the very least you can do that when walking in to the store. Just not online.
    09-21-2014 04:38 PM
    Agreed. But at the very least you can do that when walking in to the store. Just not online.
    Haha. Yeah, well I'm not going anywhere near an Apple Store until the madness has subsided.
    09-21-2014 04:40 PM

They need to do that with the preorders too. I think it's BS that you can't just buy the damn thing and that "new customers" and "upgrades" take priority over anyone who wants to buy it.
    09-21-2014 05:37 PM