When I get my new iPhone 6, should I just set it up with the SIM that comes with it, or pop the one out of my iPhone 5s and use it? Are there pros and cons to which I use?
    Thanks!
    09-20-2014 09:05 AM
    If you're replacing the old phone with the new one, and the SIM is the same size, just swap em out and go about your business....
    09-20-2014 09:15 AM
    It depends on the age of your SIM card . If your card is under a year old I would leave it . If it is 3 years old I would change it .
    It's also worth pointing out some people store numbers on the SIM card , depending on the phone .and are not always easy to move over
    09-20-2014 09:16 AM
    Well in the Apple Store yesterday, they activated it with the new SIM and we just threw the old one away.
    09-20-2014 09:19 AM
    I just swapped the SIM from my Verizon 5s to my Verizon iPhone 6.
    09-20-2014 09:27 AM
    It depends on the age of your SIM card . If your card is under a year old I would leave it . If it is 3 years old I would change it .
    It's also worth pointing out some people store numbers on the SIM card , depending on the phone .and are not always easy to move over
    Thanks for the posts - just curious, why throw the older SIM away, do they go bad?
    09-20-2014 09:58 AM
    Thanks for the posts - just curious, why throw the older SIM away, do they go bad?
    Every once in a while, the software in the SIM changes and it enables different functionality. This is most seen with T-Mobile (at least in the US) with people who kept old SIMs and cut down the size as they switched phones over the years and then see certain functions not work right. Sometimes a new SIM fixes that. It is unknown though whether it was the fact they have an "updated" SIM or the old SIM was just dying.

AT&T I don't know about, but VZW is now using a second generation of their SIMs (well, technically 3rd if you count the old Vodaphone Global SIMs for 3G phones). These new SIMs are for the NFC functionality in some Android phones. The new SIMs do nothing for iPhones though, so no need to get one of those.
    09-20-2014 12:06 PM
    If you're replacing the old phone with the new one, and the SIM is the same size, just swap em out and go about your business....
    No, really, don't do this.
    Don't mess around with opening the SIM slot. Just have a pro activate with the SIM already in the phone.
    09-20-2014 12:13 PM
    Well in the Apple Store yesterday, they activated it with the new SIM and we just threw the old one away.
    This
    09-20-2014 12:13 PM
    Every once in a while, the software in the SIM changes and it enables different functionality. This is most seen with T-Mobile (at least in the US) with people who kept old SIMs and cut down the size as they switched phones over the years and then see certain functions not work right. Sometimes a new SIM fixes that. It is unknown though whether it was the fact they have an "updated" SIM or the old SIM was just dying.

AT&T I don't know about, but VZW is now using a second generation of their SIMs (well, technically 3rd if you count the old Vodaphone Global SIMs for 3G phones). These new SIMs are for the NFC functionality in some Android phones. The new SIMs do nothing for iPhones though, so no need to get one of those.
    I specifically asked about just throwing in the SIM card from my 5s and be good to go (AT&T). The Apple store employee stated that the new SIM cards were "different" than the one in my 5s and my old one would not work. I haven't had the guts yet to open up my new 6 and try to put the SIM in the 5s to see if it would work.

Anyone out there tried this?
    09-20-2014 02:21 PM
    I specifically asked about just throwing in the SIM card from my 5s and be good to go (AT&T). The Apple store employee stated that the new SIM cards were "different" than the one in my 5s and my old one would not work. I haven't had the guts yet to open up my new 6 and try to put the SIM in the 5s to see if it would work.

Anyone out there tried this?
    The SIMs themselves would work fine. But perhaps the store employee was oversimplifying. The activation system probably had everything lined up to activate the new SIM. It could have required more work for them to "preserve" the old SIM in the system and physically swap it, so why bother.

After the fact now, you can't just swap it since the old SIM is now inactive. You could contact AT&T and have them reactivate the old SIM, but again, why bother.

Good luck either way!
    09-20-2014 02:39 PM
    The SIMs themselves would work fine. But perhaps the store employee was oversimplifying. The activation system probably had everything lined up to activate the new SIM. It could have required more work for them to "preserve" the old SIM in the system and physically swap it, so why bother.

After the fact now, you can't just swap it since the old SIM is now inactive. You could contact AT&T and have them reactivate the old SIM, but again, why bother.

Good luck either way!
    So you're saying that the newly activated SIM in my 6 would work in the 5s? I always like to keep a back up phone in case something happens to my main one.

Thanks.
    09-21-2014 07:05 AM
    Yes, the newly activated SIM in the 6 will work in the 5S. Should only need to be physically inserted and the 5S power cycled.
    09-21-2014 10:34 AM
    Yes, the newly activated SIM in the 6 will work in the 5S. Should only need to be physically inserted and the 5S power cycled.
    Thanks, I thought that the Apple folks just wanted to activate my new 6 with the installed SIM to speed up the process.
    09-21-2014 08:09 PM