What is the minimum types of damage required to replace the device with Apple care +? Does the screen need to be cracked? Or can you replace it because you have a small dent on the frame?or scratches on the back?
    09-20-2014 08:15 AM
    I will give my experience if that helps at all. My battery on my iPhone 5 started acting funny before the standard 1 year was up on the warranty, so I took it into Apple and they ran a test. They stated that it was fine, but I took it in again a few months later when it started acting worse. They then said it was defective and it needed replacing, but that I would need to pay for it. I of course argued that I tried to tell them before that it was defective and that I shouldn't need to pay for it. After a phone call with a supervisor, they waved the fee.

Moral of the story is that if I paid for the Apple care from the get-go, I wouldn't have had the hassle of trying to get it fixed. From now on all my purchases will have the Apple care along for the ride.
    robertk328 likes this.
    09-20-2014 08:31 AM
    If you don't have AppleCare+, apple will usually replace the phone for $269, I think. It may be a refurb replacement. So if you use both damage replacements for $79, plus the cost of the AppleCare+ of $99 it comes out to almost the same cost. Warranty replacements don't count against the two damage replacements.
    Friend of mine dropped his already and Apple said to charge $110 to replace, but after looking at their site, looks like you have to send it in:

https://www.apple.com/support/iphone...screen-damage/

I will always have AppleCare+ on my phones. This was my wife's phone last year, before and after AppleCare+. She left it on top of the car and drove off. She didn't know where it was, and before it was ultimately run over, I was able to use Find My iPhone to locate it so we knew exactly where to start looking. The signal to the phone lasted probably 15 minutes after she called me, so luckily we were able to find it... even in this condition.

Is Apple Care + worth it?-applecareplus.jpg
    09-20-2014 08:42 AM
    I will give my experience if that helps at all. My battery on my iPhone 5 started acting funny before the standard 1 year was up on the warranty, so I took it into Apple and they ran a test. They stated that it was fine, but I took it in again a few months later when it started acting worse. They then said it was defective and it needed replacing, but that I would need to pay for it. I of course argued that I tried to tell them before that it was defective and that I shouldn't need to pay for it. After a phone call with a supervisor, they waved the fee.

Moral of the story is that if I paid for the Apple care from the get-go, I wouldn't have had the hassle of trying to get it fixed. From now on all my purchases will have the Apple care along for the ride.
    This is why I always get it... then they added the + and it makes it a no-brainer. Didn't always cover accidental!
    09-20-2014 08:44 AM
    What is the minimum types of damage required to replace the device with Apple care +? Does the screen need to be cracked? Or can you replace it because you have a small dent on the frame?or scratches on the back?
    Not sure - but you only get 2 replacements for actual damage (vs regular 'warranty' work) so make sure it's worth it to you. If it's a dent, and you don't see it with the case on, I wouldn't replace it if it's not keeping you up at night. If it were me I'd save the replacements for real stuff like water damage or shattered screens.
    miketko likes this.
    09-20-2014 08:45 AM
    I believe the fine print says it doesn't cover strictly cosmetic damage although the Genius Bar folks are usually pretty relaxed about that.
    09-20-2014 08:49 AM
    They just replaced his for the $110. Guess they figured it was new, so why make him struggle.
    09-20-2014 11:28 AM
32 12