did I make a mistake going for the 6 over the 6 plus?

anon(52425)

Mar 1, 2009
Visit site
Honestly, even though the 6 plus has a better battery and camera, I couldn't really get over the size of the thing. I still like to do something's one handed with the device , and from what I've experienced with the LG G3 the device size doesn't fit comfortably in my jeans pocket.

But as a tech geek I feel weird not going with the better specced device. It really came down to usability over specs I guess.
Yes.

kilofoxtrot

Jan 11, 2011
Visit site
Honestly, even though the 6 plus has a better battery and camera, I couldn't really get over the size of the thing. I still like to do something's one handed with the device , and from what I've experienced with the LG G3 the device size doesn't fit comfortably in my jeans pocket.

But as a tech geek I feel weird not going with the better specced device. It really came down to usability over specs I guess.

Here is my take on the "one handed" issue.

I use my 5S two handed 75-80% of the time and the other one handed.

So why should I want screen based on the minority of it's usage?

Antron

Nov 11, 2013
Visit site
The way to decide if you got the wrong device is to get a coin and assign heads to one of the iPhone 6 models and tails to the other. Then flip it high into the air. Before it lands, you will instinctively know which way you want it to land, either heads or tails.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1410892521.017346.jpg

He is correct. Heads...6 Plus lol!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

worldspy99

Trusted Member
Jul 11, 2014
Visit site
In terms of dimensions I would compare the Nexus 5 dimensions with the 6 as they are pretty much an exact fit. I had the Nexus 5 and it was the perfect fit for my hands and my pockets. The screen is 4.95 inches so with the 6 I lose the Nexus 5's status bar which is not a deal breaker to me. Get your hands on a Nexus 5 for sizing.

The 6 Plus is taller than the LG3 and is more comparable to the OnePlus One.

Apple iPhone 6 vs Google Nexus 5 - Visual phone size compare

Yup, I have a OnePlus One and I think the iPhone 6 Plus is just as big and a bit unwieldy to use one handed...

RavenSword

May 16, 2013
Visit site
Here is my take on the "one handed" issue.

I use my 5S two handed 75-80% of the time and the other one handed.

So why should I want screen based on the minority of it's usage?

I'm similar. I do the thing where I hold it in my left hand and peck the screen with one finger.

But I'm think more from a portability aspect. I noticed on my G3 that it was pretty tight in my pocket. And I was worried it would bend or break when I sat down with it in my front jeans pocket.

zachpenguin

Feb 27, 2012
Visit site
I'm similar. I do the thing where I hold it in my left hand and peck the screen with one finger.

But I'm think more from a portability aspect. I noticed on my G3 that it was pretty tight in my pocket. And I was worried it would bend or break when I sat down with it in my front jeans pocket.

I'm not a one handed user of my 5S either. More often then not I'm typing with both thumbs. If I am using it one handed it's propped up against something and I'm only using one finger to interact.

RavenSword

May 16, 2013
Visit site
So I went ahead and canceled my iphone 6 order. Honestly, I'm not much of a one handed user, so the bigger screen is a added bonus.

The problem is that now it's saying I can't do another upgrade. So I'm hoping after a day or so the cancelation will get back to att and my upgrade will be open again.

I think I'm gonna have to use them in person to decide on anything.

EmceeGeek

Dec 1, 2010
Visit site
No you should be excited for the 6 and don't question your decision. I'll break down the supposed 3 spec upgrades on the 6 Plus compared to the 6..

1. Screen resolution... In all the hands on the difference between the 2 are not even noticeable to the naked eye. The 4.7" screen does not need 1080P, all it would do is drain the battery quicker.

2. Battery life... Either way you will need to charge both phones or top them off once a day if you use them with any regularity. Even more so with the Plus because you will be tempted to watch more videos, etc on it because of the larger screen therefore draining the battery quicker. Besides, my iPhone 5's battery is fine and the 6 is even better so I'm satisfied.

3. Camera... So the Plus has IOS and yes that is a nice feature but to be honest my 5 took amazing pictures and once again Apple has improved it even further with the 6. And if I am going on vacation or somewhere where I want amazing pics I have my Sony NEX-6 for that.

In summary, these small improvements over the 6 is not worth giving up portability, better pocketability, better one handed use and just a better overall feel in the hand. The size of the 4.7 seems to be the sweet spot IMO when it comes to a phone and everyday use. I have my iPad Air when I need a "big" screen.

Exactly what I've been trying to tell people. THANK YOU!!!!!

So I went ahead and canceled my iphone 6 order. Honestly, I'm not much of a one handed user, so the bigger screen is a added bonus.

The problem is that now it's saying I can't do another upgrade. So I'm hoping after a day or so the cancelation will get back to att and my upgrade will be open again.

I think I'm gonna have to use them in person to decide on anything.

Well... there you go!

As far as AT&T, it takes 24 hours usually to clear a cancelation, to be able to upgrade.

RavenSword

May 16, 2013
Visit site
Exactly what I've been trying to tell people. THANK YOU!!!!!

Well... there you go!

As far as AT&T, it takes 24 hours usually to clear a cancelation, to be able to upgrade.

Cool.

Yeah. And really, I wouldn't get either phone until oct. Or nov. anyway due to demand. And who know, maybe iOS 8 will be enough so I can keep my 5S till next year. I don't know how I feel about dropping 800 bucks on a new phone when mine is working fine right now.

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
Yeah, my main thing I was giving up I think was a better battery. So, well see how the 6 holds up.
You will still have better battery life than the 5s. I was leaning towards the 6 Plus because so many on the forums were getting it. But I may just get the 6. For the same price, I can get 128 gb instead of 64 gb with the Plus.

Sent from my ancient but trustworthy iPhone 5

EmceeGeek

Dec 1, 2010
Visit site
So I should have the upgrade available to me again within a day or so?

Yes! That happen to me last year when I ordered the 5s through T-Mobile.com. I had to wait a day to buy it in store because it still showed I had upgraded, even though I had canceled the order.

awtryau89

Dec 20, 2009
Visit site
In terms of dimensions I would compare the Nexus 5 dimensions with the 6 as they are pretty much an exact fit. I had the Nexus 5 and it was the perfect fit for my hands and my pockets. The screen is 4.95 inches so with the 6 I lose the Nexus 5's status bar which is not a deal breaker to me. Get your hands on a Nexus 5 for sizing.

The 6 Plus is taller than the LG3 and is more comparable to the OnePlus One.

Apple iPhone 6 vs Google Nexus 5 - Visual phone size compare

If you really want to get a perfect size comparison for the 6, go find an HTC One M7 (the original). The dimensions are nearly identical down to the screen size.

LCW

Jul 3, 2010
Visit site
It will be really interesting to see the reactions once people start getting their 6's and 6 Plus's. I have a feeling a lot of folks that ordered the 6 Plus just because it had "better specs" (ie. battery, screen res and OIS) will find out the hard way that it's just "TOO big". Others, knowing they want the 5.5 screen no matter what, will probably be happy.

There will probably also be the 6 buyers that will determine they really do want something a bit bigger.

And then there'll be the 6 owners that experience the Goldilocks reaction - of it being "just right". :)

RavenSword

May 16, 2013
Visit site
So, I decided I'm going to reorder the 6. I've been reading reviews and it seems like the plus is just too big.

Now I'm waiting for my upgrade to reset at att. Hopefully by tomorrow.

finn5975

Banned
Sep 13, 2012
Visit site
So, I decided I'm going to reorder the 6. I've been reading reviews and it seems like the plus is just too big.

Now I'm waiting for my upgrade to reset at att. Hopefully by tomorrow.

At this point, reordering now vs Friday won't make a difference. So why don't you go into a store on Fri, play with both extensively and make a more informed decision? There's only so much you can surmise from watching videos and reading reviews.

jMunar

Jul 9, 2010
Visit site
Many people are going through the same dilemma as you. I too as well changed my mind last minute and went with the 6 over the 6 plus on preorder night. Although I'm back and forth with my decision still remind myself I have 14 days to return/exchange. Yeah, I will probably have to wait a little if I want to get the 6 plus but at least I won't be stuck with a phone I regret getting for 2 years. Luckily I have a family member who got the 6 plus so I can compare and decide for sure what I want once we get them on Friday.

Overall I still feel like I made the right decision going with the 6.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smitty22d2