Why are there so many iPhone haters? (First iPhone owner experience)

FFR

Nov 7, 2012
Visit site
No!!!! That's not a good thing. The more competition the better. Competition drives development which is good for us consumers.

If what you say is true then why can't the incumbents sustain themselves through competition?
Why is competition causing them to shut down? Why is competition killing them?
Motorola, Nokia, htc, Blackberry, Siemens , NEC, Eriksson ; soon to be sony's phone division the list goes on and on.

Competition brings prices down for consumers. But it is generally bad for development, it leads to stagnation or more of the same(lack of diversity), not progress, not innovation.

In competition, there can only be one winner and a lot of losers.

katiejaneshore

Sep 17, 2014
Visit site
I'm seeing someone who jokingly calls me an iSheep. He's kidding (he thinks) but there is an underlying bite to it. The other day, after too many iSheep comments here in the forums, he tried that and I just about bit his head off.

It might be a while before he tries that again.

Sent from my AWESOME 64G gold iPhone 5s until my iPhone 6 128G Gold arrives

I bet they said what my partner said. An apple FORUM. Oh my god..! Let the anger bubble Katie...

qbnkelt

Mar 17, 2012
Visit site
If what you say is true then why can't the incumbents sustain themselves through competition?
Why is competition causing them to shut down? Why is competition killing them?
Motorola, Nokia, htc, Blackberry, Siemens , NEC, Eriksson ; soon to be sony's phone division the list goes on and on.

Competition brings prices down for consumers. But it is generally bad for development, it leads to stagnation or more of the same(lack of diversity), not progress, not innovation.

In competition, there can only be one winner and a lot of losers.

Businesses crash because they fail to give consumers what they want. Look at Honda and Toyota.

Competition spurs innovation. We reap the benefits.

The more companies in a field the better. Why are we getting larger iPhones?

FFR

Nov 7, 2012
Visit site
Businesses crash because they fail to give consumers what they want. Look at Honda and Toyota.

You shouldn't compare phones to cars, unless you have multiple cars you purchase two or three times per year. ;)
Business's crash because they are no longer able to compete, Business focused on a niche generally survive with a very loyal fan base.
Leica, Bang & Olufson, and Vertu are a few companies that have a cult following similar to apple's
These companies do not compete with anyone but themselves.
Like Apple in their respective fields they have no equal to compete with.

Competition spurs innovation. We reap the benefits.
Actually the opposite is true.
Competition breeds stagnation, that is ripe for disruption.
There are no benefits to speak of just poor facsimiles where there is a leader and the rest are blind followers.
Take HTC, Samsung, LG, and even, Blackberry, Its just more of the same, they act like dilettantes following Apples every lead.

Why are we getting larger iPhones?
The more companies in the field the more chances there are to be distracted.
After a Disruption in the market there needs to be a new equilibrium.
Said field will get smaller and smaller until there is only two left, One will have the lions share and one will not.
Econ 101.

The more companies in a field the better. Why are we getting larger iPhones?

Do you honestly think it wasn't in the pipeline?
Haven't you asked yourself why apple moved the headphone jack to the bottom of the iPhone 5 from the 4s? I now I did.
Because the nfc was going to go at the top for the 6 they were making room.

Do you remember rumours about the iPhone Math(+) last year?
well we now know it was lost in translation, it was iPhone plus (+).
Which means Apple started conceptualising the Large iPhone around late 2012.

According to ives the apple watch started its development three years ago.
Forstalls project purple started in 2004.
Jobs launched it in 2007, he called it iPhone.

Do you see the pattern?
Apple is not reactionary by any means, what they are developing today we will bear fruit in 2017.

The competition, on the other hand if you can call them that, throw random things on the wall in hopes something will stick.
Apple has no real competition except for themselves.

-FFR

qbnkelt

Mar 17, 2012
Visit site
I can't really answer you point for point but I'll say one broad, and non combative, "I disagree" AND I will say that Apple does have competition....the level of perceived threat may vary, but the day Apple becomes a complacent garden fat cat unable to jump for a juicy pigeon will be the day it becomes the next BlackBerry.

AB Lambert

Aug 20, 2014
Visit site
All,

I thought the hating would stop by now, but it is getting worse. I thought Polarized behavior only occurred in Sports and Politics. Man the Android people are not haters. They are mad. I still have not idea why. Its like that comment Rodney Dangerfield had in Back to School "Good teacher. He really seems to care. About what I have NO idea."

A.B.

Scatabrain

Nov 15, 2010
Visit site
I think some of it is community, some of it is competitor driven and some of it may even be those that benefit from shorting stock. The bending effects any smartphone. But no smart phone this big had so many non tech elite adopt it.

Whatever it is media seems to feed off of it. People seem to love seeing the big dog take some licks.

When it effects the stock price even short term it's spooky.

Vanaia

Oct 13, 2014
Visit site
My opinion, people need to justify their own purchase by telling others their purchase decisions are wrong. I've owned blackberry's, androids and iPhones therefore i personally know exactly what each have to offer. I will never bash one over the other

This is the most crucial thing in my opinion. Users do need to justify the purchase somehow. The only specific of iOS is that perhaps its users need a bit more justification due to the generally higher price. This of course fuels users of other platforms to do the same as they do not understand how one could spend so much money on a phone, which creates echo chambers of mutual reinforcements. It's the old Windows vs. Mac debate all over again.

Vaas

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
I personally do not care, I love all Tech. I got my wife the very first Iphone when it came out then a 3G. She still has a Iphone 3G 8GB that she uses for listening to audio books, its like 6yrs old and not a single problem with it. I have a Iphone 4 that I use for my ipod music/books. I have used Iphone, Windows phone and android. Currently using a Moto-X while she has a Nodia 920. She will be going to the Iphone 6 in November.

What I dislike, comes from all camps, is the holier than thou attitude. My brother inlaw showing me his Iphone 5, looked cool. I show him my Nokia 920 and he looks disgusted and walks away. After I pointed out how snobby he was being over a phone, he did stop and we had a good discussion about the Nokia and its camera. I have felt it already even in this thread, some of the I am better than you attitude. So it goes both ways. Not including Windows Phone users as I have not met one that felt they where holier than thou ;)

Some people just want to feel superior and use it justify themselves. Not much you can do but laugh and enjoy your choice of device.

My opinion on devices/OS.
IPhone/IOS - I like Itunes, I am also really liking what I am hearing/reading about Apple Pay, might make me get an Iphone
Android - love the customization and choices I have
Windows Phone - I really like Live tiles, but battery issues and updates cause me to move on
BlackBerry - never used one

eyecrispy

iPhone 7, iPad Pro & Apple Watch Champion
Sep 26, 2012
Visit site
I'm with you. I am open to trying anything and forming my own opinion based on my needs and wants. I have tons of Apple devices (iPhones, iPod touches, macbook pro, apple tv, etc) but I am well aware that there are flaws in all of those that other vendors can do better. I personally love BB10 except my work doesn't support it any longer. Don't prefer Android, but I've given it many tries. Think Windows is promising, but need to spend more time with it.

To each his own ... no need to bash and hate.

NekoMichi

Sep 9, 2014
Visit site
I think it is like brand loyalty, however pushed to the extreme with a dash of brand-xenophobia mixed in. Kind of like a fanatic twisted patriotism where one believes that their brand is the master race and all others are filth. Whenever someone posts a question to me about how to use an iOS feature or how to troubleshoot an Apple-related problem, it is guaranteed that within five minutes someone posts a comment along the lines of "easy fix: buy an Android/Windows device instead", along with several strings of expletives.

But often it's those who accuse others of being "sheep" simply for not believing in the same thing as them happen to be the most brainwashed and mindless since they expend so much time and effort to dismiss others' opinions without thinking. What is wrong with someone choosing what they feel is best for themselves? Often I am puzzled by why some people feel extremely offended that I don't use the same product as they do, to the point where it is almost as if it is physically hurting them for me to not be the same.

There's nothing wrong with having different opinions, though. Diversity is a good thing. What I feel works best for me isn't necessarily what works best for everyone else, and I accept that there's no such thing as a one-size-fits-all perfect product for everyone. The beauty of choice is that we can all spend time to learn about ourselves and what we personally like best. But judging someone solely based upon what phone they use rather than their content of character is somewhat beyond reasonable opinion - it's discrimination.

Imagine if one day you went to a store and bought a Cadbury's chocolate bar and when you went out the door, a person with a Nestl? bar confronts you and says "Hey, look at this tool with his Cadbury's. Gosh, you must feel so special, don't you? Yeah, just like all those other dumb sheep who eat Cadbury's, you're all the same and don't know what's good for you. I bet you're gonna go home to your Cadbury's couch and watch stuff on your Cadbury's TV then sleep in your Cadbury's bed and go to work in a crappy Cadbury's car because you're such a blind tool who's just too obsessed! You just don't know how great Nestl? is compared to your garbage!"

Sounds absolutely ridiculous, doesn't it? Well, this is exactly what's going on in the smartphone world (actually, some of those were direct quotes from comments I've received, albeit with brand names switched out). Unfortunately, this probably won't be going away any time soon.

dalmoradie1

Sep 5, 2014
Visit site
this is a reply I got when I asked at a different forum if anyone bought an iphone 6....

"I would rip my own tongue out and ***** slap myself across the face before I would buy anything with a lower case "i" in front of it. Telephone or otherwise."

Geeze! such hatred for a phone??? I don't get it.

jlarkins08

Oct 28, 2011
Visit site
The only thing I don't like about the iPhone is most people have one and they treat you differently if you don't have one. I like choice and I don't have anything against the iPhone but I choose not to have one.. I like iOS better on the iPad and that's my choice.. My friends are like I won't text you on your (android) phone because I don't like seeing green bubbles in my text thread.. I mean "REALLY" it's that serious.. Needless to say I'm not friends with them anymore.. That's ridiculous!

Sent from my HTC One M8 via the UnCarrier

Flow39

Jun 26, 2014
Visit site
The only thing I don't like about the iPhone is most people have one and they treat you differently if you don't have one. I like choice and I don't have anything against the iPhone but I choose not to have one.. I like iOS better on the iPad and that's my choice.. My friends are like I won't text you on your (android) phone because I don't like seeing green bubbles in my text thread.. I mean "REALLY" it's that serious.. Needless to say I'm not friends with them anymore.. That's ridiculous!

Sent from my HTC One M8 via the UnCarrier

Wow your friends are harsh!

jdhooghe

Aug 25, 2013
Visit site
Since I've had my 6+ it has been a hate magnet. I've had the "does it bend" and the "Apple sucks, look at my Samsung" or the "does it make you feel superior?" And on and on. My friends have teased me because of the number of phones I've had, they know I try new things. I'm sorry Samsung dude but I'm not any of those things, jack ***. Stop being so insecure with your choice, I'm not going to validate it.

idrazz856

Feb 2, 2013
Visit site
I used to have a blackberry, working in IT at the time that was the standard in 2006-2007. I switched to the iPhone in 2009 with the 3GS and boy did I hear backlash from my coworkers! I changed platforms because the iPhone works better for me and how I work. No longer in IT now, I work in an environment where the iPhone is standard so the only conversations me and my coworkers have is " did u decide to upgrade to the 6/6+ yet" . It's quite refreshing 😄

blueshapti

Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
Most haters are just jealous. Myself, well I don't *hate* iPhones (I do dabble them in on occasion!) but one thing that does annoy me about iPhones is the... how do I put it? Cult status? So in a way, I am a bit jealous, yes.

I'm very fond of diversity, and yet whenever I go into town it 4/5ths of the devices I see in people's hands are iPhones. More than anything I find it disappointing and rather lame that there's this wonderful, wide market out there and yet the visual representation you see in day-to-day life is so skewered. If I see someone using ANYTHING other than an iPhone I find myself respecting their decision, and this lack of diversity drives the whole 'iSheep' perception.

You then begin to wonder how many of those iPhone owners simply copied the mates rather than identifying their needs and playing around with other devices first.

Far be it for me to state what devices people should be using - they can use what they want - but I cannot shake the feeling a lot of people didn't explore their market options; just bought the iPhone on principle (media exposure/buying what their friends have/to fit in, etc) and had they indeed bought something else they may or may not have enjoyed it more. Don't get me wrong, I'm not SAYING people should be using other devices, I'm simply saying I doubt many give other brands much consideration. This is fine, but nonetheless disappointing.

I have no idea why I'm so concerned with what other people do with their lives. I should really just be glad of my own choices in live and carry on living. I suppose in a way just seeing a well-represented market makes things more interesting.

Another sore point is how iPhones are almost synonymous with the word 'smartphone' in my area. Product placement, advertising, and in particular music docks (type speaker dock on Amazon and I bet you the overwhelming majority of the results you see are designed elusively for apple products) kind of irks me. Even if I specifically type in 'USB' or 'android speaker dock' the majority of the results are still iPhone docks. It's just a shame that so much is thrown at one particular brand, when the market is so big and diverse!

Another expansion on the 'jealousy' point is the fact a certain contrivance or feature can exist on other phones, garnering little attention, but when Apple does it, it's treated as a major thing. Their status is cult. Another platform could come up with a great innovation to modest acclaim, whereas Apple might introduce minor improvements and it's suddenly headline news.

So no, I'm not a hater, but I certainly don't like the image Apple products have. I don't like the lack of diversity in the market; in particular many products like speaker docks or spare batteries which could easily be universal are otherwise exclusive to Apple. Then again, rest assured I dislike Android for many reasons; and I dislike WP for many reasons also, so don't get me wrong, I'm no fanboy. No matter where you go, there'll be both pros and cons. But by damn, I'd love to see more variance in what phones people walk around town with!

Perhaps what you say has some merit. Then again perhaps if you see 4/5ths of the phones being iPhones, the people did look over their choices and that platform won them over. People choosing something over others is not lack of diversity. The market has plenty of choices. I don't get your line of thinking. People should choose what they don't want to further diversity? The manufacturers of lower selling product should improve what they make. Bashing type advertising only goes so far. In the end I pick what works for me, without regard to the person next to me deciding differently for themselves.

bluirv

Sep 27, 2014
Visit site
Having used Android phones for years, I decided to try the iPhone 6 for one good reason--size!

I always bought Android phones mainly because their screens were bigger. Why should I be happy with a 3-1/2" or 4" phone when I can get a larger Android phone that performs most of the major functions?

That explanation should indicate that I was never an iPhone "hater". Just give me a decent size phone that's easy to use! :)

blueshapti

Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
Well To be completely honest, apple and the iPhone seem to be killing off the competition, such as palm, Nokia, motorola, htc, blackberry, etc.

Whoa, can't just let this one go by. Apple and the iPhone are NOT KILLING OFF THE COMPETITION. This concept is completely backwards. If a company makes a better product, ie sells more, they are providing the consumer with a preferred choice. If anything other companies should be incentivized to innovate and excel in making an even better product. If companies sit back and don't constantly improve their products they will be left behind. If companies are mismanaged from the top, they fall behind. Sounds more like suicide, not being killed off.