Why are there so many iPhone haters? (First iPhone owner experience)

AB Lambert

Aug 20, 2014
Visit site
All,

I learned a couple of things about this issue. There are steps to how they pull people in (My view).
1) First the ambiguous stupid statement.
2) Second the illogical unimportant comparisons.
3) Three the emotional not winnable product personal social status statement.

I found I got pulled into a discussion by these 3 steps.

I told the person that you really can’t compare an iPhone and Android mobile because it is like comparing apple and oranges. It would be easier to compare an iPhone to a Mac Book Air. I told him they have different types of processors, displays, operating systems, and memory requirements.

The person then said how the hell would you know. So I told him I am a HW design engineer. They he said I most have gone to Po Dunk University. I told him were I went (good engineering school). Then he said I must have been the most clueless graduate they ever had. Then a couple more statements occurred until I realized what the hell I was doing and when off to another seat at the gate. This all started by me talking to a guy I worked with about me ordering a mobile on Friday and him saying what size screen (he got a 5.5, sliver).

This is why I was so surprised about the reaction.
1) I barely knew the guy (we travel the same fight every once in a while)
2) Why was it so important what I brought.
3) Why did he get so mad so fast (like he was invested in Google).

To be kind of fair you could tell the guy visited the airport bar (for a while, I hope).

A.B.

Last edited:

Not Quite Right

Trusted Member
May 11, 2013
Visit site
I had the Nexus 4, it was no iPhone 6, to be honest it wasn't even an iPhone 5. Ask Ron Richards (I'm sure that was the original poster) how fast LTE was on that phone ...

worldspy99

Trusted Member
Jul 11, 2014
Visit site
iOS just works but it is flat and simple and has a pretty hefty price tag (iPad and iPod)
Android also works only if it is Nexus but Google's got their fingers in every nook and cranny of your pie and perhaps to some not worth it even if the price of admission is low (OnePlus One, N5, N7)
WP is fluid but the apps lack features found in iOS and Android (Lumia 925) and in my case forces me to carry a second device which I don't mind because a larger screen allows for better media consumption and tethering is free for me on TMO.

I use all of the devices and they meet various needs for me. I don't think there is a perfect solution just yet for me. YMMV. I think the key term here is YMMV and that is why the smartphone becomes "personal" for people and they bash other phones/platforms.

qbnkelt

Mar 17, 2012
Visit site
Frankly I don't care if they bash a platform. It's not my company and I don't work for it. But when they make personal attacks and vile and disgusting insults and create lies, THAT is a problem.

Sent from my AWESOME 64G gold iPhone 5s until my iPhone 6 128G Gold arrives

AB Lambert

Aug 20, 2014
Visit site
iOS just works but it is flat and simple and has a pretty hefty price tag (iPad and iPod)
Android also works only if it is Nexus but Google's got their fingers in every nook and cranny of your pie and perhaps to some not worth it even if the price of admission is low (OnePlus One, N5, N7)
WP is fluid but the apps lack features found in iOS and Android (Lumia 925) and in my case forces me to carry a second device which I don't mind because a larger screen allows for better media consumption and tethering is free for me on TMO.

I use all of the devices and they meet various needs for me. I don't think there is a perfect solution just yet for me. YMMV. I think the key term here is YMMV and that is why the smartphone becomes "personal" for people and they bash other phones/platforms.

I am assuming you mean "YMMV = Your Mileage May Very" and not YMMV = "You Make Me Vomit" . LOL.

worldspy99

Trusted Member
Jul 11, 2014
Visit site
Frankly I don't care if they bash a platform. It's not my company and I don't work for it. But when they make personal attacks and vile and disgusting insults and create lies, THAT is a problem.

Sent from my AWESOME 64G gold iPhone 5s until my iPhone 6 128G Gold arrives

I agree and the more reason to keep the conversation civil and provide valid points. One thing that I would like on iOS is wireless charging, absolutely love it on my WP (Lumia 925, Lumia 810) and Android (N5, N7) devices. I am happy that iOS will bring Swype style keyboards finally because I like that feature on both WP and Android and use it extensively. Even the prediction feature currently on iOS 7 was subpar to the original WP keyboard. And SwiftKey spoiled people on Android quite a few years back.

BobLobIaw

Sep 9, 2014
Visit site
There's a lot of sports team mentality endemic in technology forums. People want to be associated with the best, or at least the "winning team." Out of that comes several annoying byproducts: 1) fanboys; 2) people who attack fanboys with an alternate fanboy perspective but pass it off as an unbiased viewpoint; 3) people who attack other "tribes"; and 4) people who claim that their tribe is better because they don't engage in attacking other tribes. The only common denominator is the ridiculousness of the behavior.

jonathan sink

Sep 11, 2014
Visit site
Welcome to Imore.

The iPhone 6/6+ doesn't use any technology from 2012.
Care to elaborate?

Thanks for the welcome! I was referring to some user on wpcentral. I happen to think its going to be a fantastic phone. If only att hadn't screwed the preorders up I would have one Friday!

Norg

Sep 16, 2014
Visit site
Having owned and tried pretty well every smartphone out there, I have noticed that some iPhone users simply love to throw all other platforms under the bus and typically those same individuals love to assume that only iPhone is relevant... guess it helps them feel a bit better about forking out premium coin for a device. So probably just an insecurity issue for some...Life goes on...

Smply_Rcklss

Jul 24, 2014
Visit site
Having owned and tried pretty well every smartphone out there, I have noticed that some iPhone users simply love to throw all other platforms under the bus and typically those same individuals love to assume that only iPhone is relevant... guess it helps them feel a bit better about forking out premium coin for a device. So probably just an insecurity issue for some...Life goes on...

Same w the whole "you're hating on the iPhone bc u can't afford it" Smh, I see low income ppl w it & whatever happened to ppl buy whatever the hell they wanna use for THEM. If a phone causes u insecurities, something more major is wrong

Tapatalk'n On The 5s

ben182tx

Sep 12, 2012
Visit site
I frequent all the tech sites (Crackberry, iMore, Android Central, etc)...and with Blackberry people they are very much in denial about the status of Blackberry and if you say anything otherwise, facts or not they will insult you to the end of the earth.

The iMore forums seem to be the friendliest of all...apparently Apple folk are way more accepting of others who do not agree with their views/opinions than the others.

Derrick4Real

Feb 20, 2013
Visit site
Why the smartphone? Why not the fridge? My Hotpoint is better than your GE!
You say that but I swear I've heard people who have Stainless steel Viking cooking ranges and stainless appliances walk into other people's kitchens and brag about there remodel and counsel the other person about how "they must upgrade their kitchen" or "must get Wolf range with the red knobs." Sometimes it's a veiled comment but the sentiment is the same, "be like me", "be on the same level as me." It hasn't been Hotpoint vs GE but i've heard Stainless vs white appliances, or granite vs tile countertops. And mind you personally i like stainless and granite lol. But i've heard people get judgmental upon walking into other people's kitchens. I think what people use as an example of status or way of identifying with a group i think will just vary from person to person.

John Flud

Dec 15, 2012
Visit site
Same w the whole "you're hating on the iPhone bc u can't afford it" Smh

This is a point that bothers me. it reeks of classism. people who insult android users or whatever based on poverty, need to stop.

nobody hates apple because they're in poverty. they hate apple either because they feel threatened (like being a fan of a dying company like blackberry) or because they are spec geeks who can't see past a silly checklist. The type that say "16 megapixels is a bigger number so its better!"

jdhooghe

Aug 25, 2013
Visit site
I agree, I frequent all Mobile Nations and iMore seems to be the most respectful. CrackBerry and WPCentral seem to be the worst

Oh god, the YouTube comments on iphone 6 videos are terrible...

essay2u

Sep 14, 2014
Visit site
I agree, I frequent all Mobile Nations and iMore seems to be the most respectful. CrackBerry and WPCentral seem to be the worst

glad to hear that. I have found the same @ iMore. respectful dialogue. welcoming enthusiasts. as a nanite/newbie/whatever, I think this is a good place to be...

boovish

Jul 23, 2012
Visit site
Quite frankly the call us steeple, and that the iPhone isn't innovative, but they end up being worse, bashing the iPhone any second they get, and thing that having an octa core smartphone with 3gbs of ram makes them all that, when in reality their devices can't even manage the power properly, with over heating device, and a RAM hungry sytem

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
INTERNET BUNDLE NOW