Why are there so many iPhone haters? (First iPhone owner experience)
    They talk about people being isheep, but they have no problem buying Android and everything Android...a bully with the behavior I am seeing.
    I think it's a product of "tribalism." Most people like to "belong" from a very young age. They seek acceptance. And it don't think that inherently is bad. But it can become an "us and them mentality." And i think all of that manifests itself in many many ways but it's the same problem. It's us and them. You see it with kids that play Call of Duty or Battlefield, Xbox one/360 or PS4, Windows or Mac. It's "We're real Americans and they aren't", It's my kids go to this school, yours don't. I had a Palm Pre and you should see the irrational vitriol they spewed at apple in the Webos forums. Yes they say you were all "sheep." But oh yes it works the other way around because there are plenty of iPhone users that who look down on others for not being part of the "Cult of Mac." They, love there "luxury" phone and like that it's for "us" and "them" can't afford it like they can. It becomes a status thing to identify like minded people.

But people also want to have their life choices validated. They want to know they are part of the right group and in doing so many go to the extreme of lashing out at others in an effort to validate their own choice by denigrating that of others. Calling people iSheep is simply an attack on you're choice to join the apple group, or tribe in this case. To me the "fanboy" mentality, regardless of the side is simply a manifestation of that. And when you say they can buy an android everything, yep. It's because they have simply picked a side and are only seeking to validate their choice. They can't stand back removed from their choice and simply say, I've made a choice for me and you've made a choice for you. It doesn't make mine wrong or yours wrong. That's why they can't see they are doing the exact same thing when they tout their android phone. And i think you're spot on that it's bullying behavior. It's not physical but it's comes from a same mentality of talking down to people in my opinion. And again, i see it on both sides of phones. I've seen many a post on iMore that amount to, Apple is better, Samsung sucks. It's just the other side of the coin. But the same tribalism problem.

"Blowing out another's candle won't make your's shine brighter."

Has anyone had a friend have a cow because they found out you got an iPhone?
    i don't talk phones with my friends. The only time it comes up is at the moment they are deciding to make purchases if people make an off hand comment like "i lost my phone." But my friends don't have cows because honestly they aren't judging based on phones. For most it's a choice and they move on after. I have one that's not a fan of iphones but he doesn't talk to me much about. But i know because he get's company phones so i've tested android phones when he switches. But my friends care more about, their sports team, tv shows, music, bbqing, day drinking, working out.
    jdhooghe likes this.
    09-16-2014 03:36 AM
    because they want to play the villain role
    AB Lambert likes this.
    09-16-2014 03:47 AM
    As many people have said, it is about being a part of a group and wanting to be superior. Religion, politics, cellphones....it's always there. I've been guilty of it many times and I still, to this day, cannot figure out why my brain went into that mode. I caught myself constantly switching to belittling another platform for some reason. I'm a physicist and I think objectively and with data and it's a part of my brain that I don't understand. Now that doesn't mean, I can't tell you why I left Windows Phone, BlackBerry or Android. I did what a scientist would do and experimented(a very expensive experiment) and tried all the platforms. I always felt wanting though. All three of those alternate platforms had one or many MAJOR issues that just sapped any enjoyment out of my phone. I was always trying to fix something. To get better battery life. There was always something that was mediocre.

I think those people, at least subconsciously, see that.

They know what they have isn't all that they tell everyone else and they get people to switch to convince themselves that they made the right decision and to quiet that little voice in the back of their mind. Take Crackberry, for example. When the Z10 came out everyone was, "It's the perfect size. The Note is a joke of a phone. The processor is just fine because everything is optimized" Yet when the Z30 came out where it offered little else than a bigger screen and more processing power even though there weren't any intensive apps for it, people thought they were superior. Now they're back to making fun of the 6+ for the same reasons they were excited about the Z30.

Windows Phone - Well nothing really works on that platform and they're years into the OS and they have yet to introduce many basic functions into it.

Android - Well, despite all the awesome specs, the iPhone still beats it in probably the most important areas that a person will use their phone. Samsung has their screen yet people choose not to acknowledge how laggy Touchwhiz is or how ugly it is. Why processes always get stuck. Why apps close. That Samsung copied apple and put a finger print scanner on the Galaxy and now they are making fun of Apple for putting larger screens on their phones? Why does a 16MP camera not blow a 8MP out of the water. Why is there shutter lag? Why is there still blur in photos. The list goes on and on.

I recognize that part of what I see in other platform users in me and it makes me a better person for realizing those feelings and letting people enjoy their phones.
    Now I just need to train myself to let go and not go into defense mode when people call me an iSheep online or to my face. I have a long way to go >_>
    qbnkelt likes this.
    09-16-2014 06:00 AM
    I used to be an iPhone hater. I followed the crowd. That was until I owned an iPhone and experienced it for myself. However, I am by no means an iPhone fanboy who completely trashes Android or any other OS or brand like many iPhone owners do. I'm open minded. I've used Android in the past and like many of it's features that I wish iOS had. So it still burns me every time I see an iPhone owner bashing Android and it's users.

Sent from my Space Grey iPhone 5s using Tapatalk
    Consider yourself on of the very few. I know several Android users and pretty much every one rails against Apple with no real merit. I mean, when you get excuses like "Samsung is better because the screen is bigger." Yeah.....
    09-16-2014 06:39 AM
    People enjoy tribalism.

Also tho Apple hardware is consistently nicer but the software lockdowns annoy many. Before iCloud allowed me to leave iTunes syncs and backups behind, I fled to Android. Came back once I didn't have to deal with that annoyance. It was super frustrating before that.

I typically recommend to my friends that they use Apple stuff because there's much less that can go wrong. I generally do the same for myself (this one water resistant Android tablet aside) for that same reason.

Sent from my Xperia Tablet Z using Tapatalk
    09-16-2014 07:35 AM
    I'm hear from wpcentral. I have used android, bb, and obviously WP. My iPhone 6+ will be my first iPhone. I will say I hated android and I love my Lumia 1520. What I don't understand is people that are so hardcore that they must try to shame you until you switch to there preferences. It literally drives my up the wall. What is even worse is blind hypocrisy, coming from wpcentral, for years I heard "WP doesn't need latest greatest hardware it runs great on lesser and thus gives you a cheaper phone." Now all of a sudden iPhone sucks because they use hardware from 2012. It's constant bashing on this point. It's amazing to say the least. I however am looking forward to my 6+, but will keep my 1520. Why can't we just use what we want when we want, without idiots trying to persuade us otherwise?
    09-16-2014 07:53 AM
    Oh my gosh, I never heard so many people pissed that other people didn’t get the mobile they bought. Who cares!!! It is just a mobile.

They talk about people being isheep, but they have no problem buying Android and everything Android. Even my friend had a moment when he found out I got an iPhone 6 and not a GS5. I told him to get a grip and he is older than I.

I did not know there was such an issue before, and how bad it was. My kid would get in troubled at school for being a bully with the behavior I am seeing.

It's like I can’t decide how to spend my money.

Has anyone had a friend have a cow because they found out you got an iPhone?

A.B.
    They're just jelly. They have been fed too much kool-aid that the iPhone is this locked down phone that you don't actually own and can't possibly be functional. But really they are just jealous of it, they know if they actually try it they might like it. Then they will be the ones ridiculed for liking the iPhone. So they just launch tomahawk missiles of hate without any real experience or knowledge.

I used to bash Android pretty hard. Then I tried it. It's not bad, it does a lot of really nice things. I can see why some people prefer it over iOS. But it's not for me. I prefer iOS and my iPhone. I wish some people would at least give the iPhone a chance before they launch their attacks.
    AB Lambert likes this.
    09-16-2014 08:42 AM
    It's like Android or no way. I don't get why this back and forth started and it really stemmed from Google Plus, I was an avid user for years. I got tired of the Apple vs Android war. I use both, always but both and probably always will. If you like something, get it. If you don't, shut up!
    AB Lambert, calebt and qbnkelt like this.
    09-16-2014 08:48 AM
    I'm hear from wpcentral. I have used android, bb, and obviously WP. My iPhone 6+ will be my first iPhone. I will say I hated android and I love my Lumia 1520. What I don't understand is people that are so hardcore that they must try to shame you until you switch to there preferences. It literally drives my up the wall. What is even worse is blind hypocrisy, coming from wpcentral, for years I heard "WP doesn't need latest greatest hardware it runs great on lesser and thus gives you a cheaper phone." Now all of a sudden iPhone sucks because they use hardware from 2012. It's constant bashing on this point. It's amazing to say the least. I however am looking forward to my 6+, but will keep my 1520. Why can't we just use what we want when we want, without idiots trying to persuade us otherwise?
    Welcome to Imore.

The iPhone 6/6+ doesn't use any technology from 2012.
    Care to elaborate?
    AB Lambert likes this.
    09-16-2014 08:48 AM
    Welcome to Imore.

Care to elaborate?
    Probably referring to Android's latest Apple bashing
    Why are there so many iPhone haters? (First iPhone owner experience)-imageuploadedbyimore-forums1410872119.493679.jpg
    09-16-2014 08:55 AM
    So after the iP 6 Keynote, my Android son gets on Facebook and proceeds to bash Apple and the iPhone. After he and his friend have their fun, I add a comment asking my son, 26 yrs old, which new iPhone I should get. He replies that if I have to get an iPhone, I should get the 5.5" Plus. Then he goes off on how his Galaxy S4 size of 5.1" makes better sense. I told him the Plus is what I would get just so my screen would be bigger than his. He hates Apple more than the iPhone. The whole feud over smartphones reminds me of some "good ole boys" arguing over the best pick up truck. Why the smartphone? Why not the fridge? My Hotpoint is better than your GE! It seems to me the answer lies in that the smartphone has become an extension of self. That makes it personal. And some can't get past it. It's just a smartphone, people! Debate is good. But when it turns nasty and personal, it becomes ridiculous. There's pros and cons to all brands and platforms. Pick what you like and hush.

Sent from my ancient but trustworthy iPhone 5
    joemd60 likes this.
    09-16-2014 09:31 AM
    At work or socially, I can't remember hearing a "my phone is great, your phone sucks" conversation. The only comments I've heard about devices have been good natured jabs at those who still use dumb-phones. I'm not sure the issue is as bad in the real world as it is here on the Mobile Nations forums. I don't think most people give a second thought about what device their friend or colleague is using.
    AB Lambert likes this.
    09-16-2014 09:47 AM
    Probably referring to Android's latest Apple bashing
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ImageUploadedByiMore Forums1410872119.493679.jpg 
Views:	238 
Size:	169.1 KB 
ID:	64890
    Yeah, but even that's. Not very accurate.

Allow me to enumerate:
    Retina hd display is srgb accurate and features photo aligned ips liquid crystals with an improved polarizer; which basically means it will utilize less battery but still be brighter and sharper than the old retina display, especially in day light.

Forget about 2012, show me another manufacturer that has this technology in their displays in 2014!

The iPhone 5s already destroys the competition in display daylight visibility, this takes it to another level while using less battery to power the displays, talk about engineering prowess.

Nfc payment:
    Again Touch ID and the secure enclave were not available in 2012.
    With Apple pay the cashier or merchant isn't privy to your name, card number, or even past purchases.
    all accomplished by a one touch checkout.
    Once again forget 2012 show me a company other then apple that is offering all of that today.

Cross app communication:
    Nothing compares to apples extensibility framework in iOS 8, where security comes first.

The rest 3rd party keyboards, typing suggestions, notification actions, battery stats, were available on the iPhone and ios well before android, they were available to the jailbreaking community since 2010/2011.

As for widgets, jobs showed that off personally way back in 2004 at wwdc during Mac OS tiger's introduction, he called it dashboard.

Come to think of it I would love to see any phone released back in 2012 with all the features apple introduced with the iPhone 6/6+ including:

Battery life
    Touch ID
    64 bit a8 chip with integrated image signal processor
    m8 motion processor
    802.11 Ac/n
    Retina hd screen utilizing photo aligned ips crystals and is SRGB-accurate
    One touch anonymous nfc payment
    1.5 micron pixel sensor with f/2.2 aperture
    and finally 20 LTE BANDS
    all in a 6.9mm or 7.1mm package.

You know what forget about 2012, show me another 2014 flagship phone that can match the iPhone 6/6+ feature for feature.

I will wait .
    09-16-2014 09:48 AM
    Oh Lordy I've got stories of insults, vile attacks, lies, and harassment that would make your hair go gray.
    I am supposedly having an affair with someone who lives in England (nevermind the fact that I live in the US I have never met him in person on either side of the Atlantic), I am supposedly cheating on him and I'm a wild cougar IRL (never mind the fact that I've never met A N Y O N E that I've ever talked to in any site or online IRL), and the worst one involved dogs and it's too vile to even repeat. And the worst part???? Are you ready???? People who should know better are in there on that site along with the people insulting me.

THAT goes beyond the pale.

So.....I have seen the worst slanders possible. OVER THE USE OF A P H O N E. And NO, I'm not willing AT ALL to let it go and NO, I no longer believe, trust, or respect the worst of the appeasers. And yes, I'm letting them continue. It is amazing to me the isn't of energy they spend hating me. Actually it's rather flattering. The ones I find most repugnant are the appeasers who play both sides of the fence.

And all this.....because I have stated that my iPhone works best for me from all the platforms I use. And because I debunk myths and misinformation.

Sent from my AWESOME 64G gold iPhone 5s until my iPhone 6 128G Gold arrives
    AB Lambert and mikeo007 like this.
    09-16-2014 10:09 AM
    I totally agree, I just switched to IOS and like it. Is it perfect? of course not, none of them are but, I love the experience. I don't see what the hate is for. Ive had android since the HTC HERO! and enjoyed it a lot. Before then, I was with blackberry, thought it was the best thing since sliced bread! So, my point is that, I wouldn't say I am a fanboy because I like certain things that each platform offers. With that said, I have really grown accustomed to this butter-smooth, no-lag, great hardware device.
    AB Lambert likes this.
    09-16-2014 10:50 AM
    All,

I learned a couple of things about this issue. There are steps to how they pull people in (My view).
    1) First the ambiguous stupid statement.
    2) Second the illogical unimportant comparisons.
    3) Three the emotional not winnable product personal social status statement.

I found I got pulled into a discussion by these 3 steps.

I told the person that you really can’t compare an iPhone and Android mobile because it is like comparing apple and oranges. It would be easier to compare an iPhone to a Mac Book Air. I told him they have different types of processors, displays, operating systems, and memory requirements.

The person then said how the hell would you know. So I told him I am a HW design engineer. They he said I most have gone to Po Dunk University. I told him were I went (good engineering school). Then he said I must have been the most clueless graduate they ever had. Then a couple more statements occurred until I realized what the hell I was doing and when off to another seat at the gate. This all started by me talking to a guy I worked with about me ordering a mobile on Friday and him saying what size screen (he got a 5.5, sliver).

This is why I was so surprised about the reaction.
    1) I barely knew the guy (we travel the same fight every once in a while)
    2) Why was it so important what I brought.
    3) Why did he get so mad so fast (like he was invested in Google).

To be kind of fair you could tell the guy visited the airport bar (for a while, I hope).

A.B.
    Last edited by AB Lambert; 09-16-2014 at 11:46 AM.
    Les74 and qbnkelt like this.
    09-16-2014 11:32 AM
    I had the Nexus 4, it was no iPhone 6, to be honest it wasn't even an iPhone 5. Ask Ron Richards (I'm sure that was the original poster) how fast LTE was on that phone ...
    09-16-2014 11:41 AM
    iOS just works but it is flat and simple and has a pretty hefty price tag (iPad and iPod)
    Android also works only if it is Nexus but Google's got their fingers in every nook and cranny of your pie and perhaps to some not worth it even if the price of admission is low (OnePlus One, N5, N7)
    WP is fluid but the apps lack features found in iOS and Android (Lumia 925) and in my case forces me to carry a second device which I don't mind because a larger screen allows for better media consumption and tethering is free for me on TMO.

I use all of the devices and they meet various needs for me. I don't think there is a perfect solution just yet for me. YMMV. I think the key term here is YMMV and that is why the smartphone becomes "personal" for people and they bash other phones/platforms.
    AB Lambert likes this.
    09-16-2014 12:22 PM
    Frankly I don't care if they bash a platform. It's not my company and I don't work for it. But when they make personal attacks and vile and disgusting insults and create lies, THAT is a problem.

AB Lambert likes this.
    09-16-2014 12:29 PM
    iOS just works but it is flat and simple and has a pretty hefty price tag (iPad and iPod)
    Android also works only if it is Nexus but Google's got their fingers in every nook and cranny of your pie and perhaps to some not worth it even if the price of admission is low (OnePlus One, N5, N7)
    WP is fluid but the apps lack features found in iOS and Android (Lumia 925) and in my case forces me to carry a second device which I don't mind because a larger screen allows for better media consumption and tethering is free for me on TMO.

I use all of the devices and they meet various needs for me. I don't think there is a perfect solution just yet for me. YMMV. I think the key term here is YMMV and that is why the smartphone becomes "personal" for people and they bash other phones/platforms.
    I am assuming you mean "YMMV = Your Mileage May Very" and not YMMV = "You Make Me Vomit" . LOL.
    09-16-2014 12:30 PM
    I am assuming you mean "YMMV = Your Mileage May Very" and not YMMV = "You Make Me Vomit" . LOL.
    You assumed correctly, it is the former and not the latter:-)
    AB Lambert likes this.
    09-16-2014 12:36 PM
    Frankly I don't care if they bash a platform. It's not my company and I don't work for it. But when they make personal attacks and vile and disgusting insults and create lies, THAT is a problem.

I agree and the more reason to keep the conversation civil and provide valid points. One thing that I would like on iOS is wireless charging, absolutely love it on my WP (Lumia 925, Lumia 810) and Android (N5, N7) devices. I am happy that iOS will bring Swype style keyboards finally because I like that feature on both WP and Android and use it extensively. Even the prediction feature currently on iOS 7 was subpar to the original WP keyboard. And SwiftKey spoiled people on Android quite a few years back.
    09-16-2014 12:47 PM
    There's a lot of sports team mentality endemic in technology forums. People want to be associated with the best, or at least the "winning team." Out of that comes several annoying byproducts: 1) fanboys; 2) people who attack fanboys with an alternate fanboy perspective but pass it off as an unbiased viewpoint; 3) people who attack other "tribes"; and 4) people who claim that their tribe is better because they don't engage in attacking other tribes. The only common denominator is the ridiculousness of the behavior.
    AB Lambert and Les74 like this.
    09-16-2014 12:54 PM
    Welcome to Imore.

Care to elaborate?

Thanks for the welcome! I was referring to some user on wpcentral. I happen to think its going to be a fantastic phone. If only att hadn't screwed the preorders up I would have one Friday!
    09-16-2014 02:47 PM
    They are only haters if you care.

..... and by the way, I dont and neither should you.
    Coachbulldog likes this.
    09-16-2014 02:50 PM
211 1234 ...