iPhone 6/6 Plus display quality

msm0511

Trusted Member
May 6, 2009
twitter.com
I know the full reviews aren't in, but I don't remember seeing much about it in the "hands-on" posts. Did any of the sites you guys read mention whether they saw a noticeable difference in display quality from the 5S? I know the screen resolutions on paper, but I wanna know if the Retina HD moniker is just a name or if there is a visible difference. I honestly didn't pay that much attention to the 6 Plus hands-on because the dimensions make it too large for my taste, but I don't remember anybody really mentioning that the displays looked better, not just larger.

tigerinexile

Sep 8, 2012
Visit site
One site claimed that both new models look better.

But the 6 has the exact same pixel density as the 5s -- 326 ppi. It's only the 6 Plus that has higher density at 401 ppi for a proper 1080p screen.

msm0511

Trusted Member
May 6, 2009
twitter.com
I'm sure the 6 Plus will look better since it's 1080p. I'm really curious to see how much better if any the 6 looks because the ppi stayed the same.

marketsqhero

Jul 14, 2009
Visit site
Posted on another thread but nobody seems to be mentioning the contrast ratios on the new screens. The 5s is 800:1, the 6 is 1500:1! That means blacks are much, much blacker and the difference in sunlight (which nobody has had a hands on with yet) could be huge.

msm0511

Trusted Member
May 6, 2009
twitter.com
Posted on another thread but nobody seems to be mentioning the contrast ratios on the new screens. The 5s is 800:1, the 6 is 1500:1! That means blacks are much, much blacker and the difference in sunlight (which nobody has had a hands on with yet) could be huge.

I haven't seen that thread. Thanks! That's the kind of info I was searching for.

wolfedude88

Oct 10, 2011
Visit site
I'm sure the 6 Plus will look better since it's 1080p. I'm really curious to see how much better if any the 6 looks because the ppi stayed the same.

Shouldn't matter that the ppi is higher. According to Steve jobs after 300 it doesn't matter with a cell phone.

The reason the iphone 6 plus is 1080p is is because it would have been left under the requirement of 300 to have retina if left at the same resolution as the iphone 6.

Both displays should look great

Pete Sake

Dec 22, 2010
Visit site
My iPhone display in the sun is quite terrible. I cant wait for these reviews to flood in even though the 6 Plus for AT&T are backed-up til November 9-27th!!!

finn5975

Banned
Sep 13, 2012
Visit site
This echoes much of what the others are saying. I've seen 3 hands-on reviews now where they mentioned that they could not tell a difference between the displays. However, in nearly every review, they mention how much better both displays are compared to previous versions (even the 6 with the same 326ppi).

I'm sure if you stare at each display side by side long enough, you can find the difference. So don't do that and you'll be fine :)

Flow39

Jun 26, 2014
Visit site
Many say they can't tell a difference, so it shouldn't matter. I am excited about the higher contrast ratios though, hopefully outdoor visibility will be awesome! :)