Set up as new or set up from back up?

JBaby_9783

Jan 22, 2009
Visit site
My fIrst iPhone (3G) was my last clean iPhone. All other iPhones have been restored from a backup. My 6 won't be any different. I backup to iCloud and once a week I manually backup to iTunes. I have a slow internet connection so restoring from iCloud is painfully slow. I did it with the 5s because my iMac was broken at the time. I ended up going to the hospital to finish my restore there. Their connection is super fast. This year I have a working iMac so it's gonna be easy peasy! #TeamRestore

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Morganas

Mar 20, 2012
Visit site
I've always set up as new before, however this time I was thinking of restoring from a back up. I have some texts that I'd rather not delete. Is it possible to ONLY restore the messages or is the whole thing or nada?

awtryau89

Dec 20, 2009
Visit site
I normally set up as new but I just got a new 5s as a replacement and the Apple folks recommended I set it up as new since my backup was old. I did that about 3 weeks ago and I don't expect any issues. I also will probably use an iTunes backup instead of iCloud.

michikade

Sep 15, 2014
Visit site
When I had to have my 5 replaced only a week after getting it originally (wifi issue) I was told by someone that I should set it up as new and manually re-install my apps. I can't remember why but if I recall I think it keeps the install cleaner and the phone faster. I know that was the case sometimes in android and blackberry (especially with custom OS builds) but I can't remember anymore how valid the advice actually is.

Regardless, I'm going to set up as new. It'll take a while to reinstall my apps but I think I'd rather do it that way than possibly having to do it again if something goes wonky.

rewNATION

Banned
Oct 10, 2011
Visit site
When I had to have my 5 replaced only a week after getting it originally (wifi issue) I was told by someone that I should set it up as new and manually re-install my apps. I can't remember why but if I recall I think it keeps the install cleaner and the phone faster. I know that was the case sometimes in android and blackberry (especially with custom OS builds) but I can't remember anymore how valid the advice actually is.

Regardless, I'm going to set up as new. It'll take a while to reinstall my apps but I think I'd rather do it that way than possibly having to do it again if something goes wonky.

i really don't think it matters how you do it. I think people just say to set up as new because it gives them peace of mind to do it that way even though it creates a lot more work for you. and don't always go by what apple geniuses tell you, most of them have no education

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FMHPro