Set up as new or set up from back up?

scorpiodsu

Jan 28, 2011
Visit site
I'm setting up as new. I have a couple backups but I want to start from scratch with everything. Be using android devices for the last 9 months so I want this to feel as fresh as possible.

mjsavage

Oct 8, 2011
Visit site
Usually update as new but think will do from back up this time. Will all the pics in icloud come back if set up as new or only with restore.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

donawalt

Aug 8, 2012
Visit site
I always set up from backup, usually iCloud but sometimes iTunes.

One question - it's amazing how many apps still do not keep their passwords in iCloud, so you have to manually look them up/enter them. Have others seen this, is there an easy solution?

OBF

Jul 8, 2014
Visit site
So why do people prefer setting up their phones as new instead of restoring them from iCloud or iTunes?

Sent from my Space Grey iPhone 5s using Tapatalk

Ariel484

Oct 4, 2012
Visit site
I'm setting this one up as new. When I got my current phone, an Apple Store Genius transferred my information to it from my Droid X and it's been wonky at times - mostly with the storage space saying it's completely full (16GB phone) when I have almost no apps and less than 6 GB of music. When I took it in for help they said the transfer from the Droid may have caused some issues. I have no idea if this is right or not but they had me do a full factory restore and that fixed things.

So as convenient as it would be to restore from backup, I'm planning on starting fresh this time. I'll transfer my pictures to our Mac and take screenshots of my current set-up...that should help.

scorpiodsu

Jan 28, 2011
Visit site
Usually update as new but think will do from back up this time. Will all the pics in icloud come back if set up as new or only with restore.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Yes. Pictures sync when you add your icloud account to the phone and choose photos to sync. Doesn't matter when set up as new or restore.

Guacho

Jun 20, 2009
Visit site
So why do people prefer setting up their phones as new instead of restoring them from iCloud or iTunes?

Sent from my Space Grey iPhone 5s using Tapatalk

the idea is that when you start fresh you are not bringing any potential issues, bugs into the new OS and/or phone, I understand why but I've always restored from previous backups and it's always worked for me.

applejosh

Sep 26, 2009
Visit site
For new phones, I set up as new and manually add in things. A pain in the whatsit? Yes, but I just feel better when I start fresh on a new device. For my wife's phones, I always restore from backup.

scorpiodsu

Jan 28, 2011
Visit site
the idea is that when you start fresh you are not bringing any potential issues, bugs into the new OS and/or phone, I understand why but I've always restored from previous backups and it's always worked for me.

Agreed. The only time I've experienced some instability was restoring a backup from ios 6 to the ios 7 device. Nothing major and a did a hard reboot to fix But sometimes I just like to start with a clean slate ;

calebt

Sep 28, 2013
Visit site

That's why I start fresh also.

Sent from my iPhone 5s using Tapatalk

joemd60

Feb 22, 2013
Visit site
I ordered an iPad Mini. I will set that up as new. All my photos and music are in the cloud.
As for my apps, I will add those as I need them.
I only have 33 apps, so it will be easy.

Simeon Herbert

Sep 11, 2013
Visit site
This was my thought, I anticipated restoring from backup, but I have a problem at the moment where my iPhone 5 which was replaced about 2 months ago will not connect to hotel WIFI I have been in and the Genius's told me it's a software problem and I need to reinstall from scratch - I have not done that as I have over 300 apps and never use my Mac for backup, only iCloud.

So I was thinking of doing a restore first, and if that the iPhone 6 has the same problem with wifi then I'll bite the bullet and reinstall from scratch.

qbnkelt

Mar 17, 2012
Visit site
Agreed. The only time I've experienced some instability was restoring a backup from ios 6 to the ios 7 device. Nothing major and a did a hard reboot to fix But sometimes I just like to start with a clean slate ;

Wouldn't you want to update the OS first? That's what I always do.

Sent from my AWESOME 64G gold iPhone 5s until my iPhone 6 128G Gold arrives

Evilguppy

Jul 1, 2014
Visit site
Oh boy I need help with this: my last iPhone was a 5, over a year ago. I can't remember for the life of me how I set up my iPad Air when I got it.
Is it possible to set up my new phone from the settings on my iPad?
That would be the easiest and most current.

bamf-hacker

Apple Watch and AirPod Champion, Ambassador
Champion
Nov 2, 2009
Visit site
Restore from backup... If you encounter weird issues then you can wipe the device and start over new.

What I usually do is back up my old phone. Then restore to the new phone. If I need to start over, I delete all the apps from iTunes then transfer purchases from the old phone. That will put all the apps I want in iTunes. Then I set up the new phone as NEW and sync all the apps from iTunes. I use the old phone as a model and move everything to the correct folders. Then I go through and set up all my mail accounts and apps with the settings I want.

I usually do a clean install once a year to get rid of all the beta cruft that might linger since I use my production device to test the later betas.

qbnkelt

Mar 17, 2012
Visit site
Restore from back up. Make sure you've got all your passwords correct before you do anything.
Check iCloud to see what devices are there. What happened to your last iPhone? Did you clear it from iCloud?
When you set your device, restore from back up.
Once all is ruining smoothly enable two step authentication.
Print out your Restore Key and put it with your most valuable documents.

Let us know if you've got any issues.

Sent from my AWESOME 64G gold iPhone 5s until my iPhone 6 128G Gold arrives

Not Quite Right

Trusted Member
May 11, 2013
Visit site
For new phones, I set up as new and manually add in things. A pain in the whatsit? Yes, but I just feel better when I start fresh on a new device. For my wife's phones, I always restore from backup.

Ditto, My wife always wants to save like text messages , photos, and crap from like the last ten years on her phone, so I just restore hers from a back-up. Then down the road she always asks why her phone has issues and mine doesn't. ;)

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Thomas Woods