Set up as new or set up from back up?

SmartFah

Oct 11, 2011
Visit site
I'm surprised so many people setup as new. I love restoring from backup & having everything exactly the way It was on my last phone.
Is there an advantage to setting it up as new???

Designed4Him

Nov 4, 2011
Visit site
You know how to make backups though, right? If not, it's not too complicated :)
I still back up my iPad to iTunes so I will never forget. I think I'm going to start as new that way I won't have any extra things I don't need now. At least I get to keep my current phone to remember what apps I have added this past year

zachpenguin

Feb 27, 2012
Visit site
I run an icloud and iTunes backup the night or morning before I get a new one and restore from there. I like the way things are set and hate redoing it all. I do have to readjust my apps though to account for the extra row...

Flow39

Jun 26, 2014
Visit site
I'm surprised so many people setup as new. I love restoring from backup & having everything exactly the way It was on my last phone.
Is there an advantage to setting it up as new???

I guess some people, like me, like having a fresh start. It allows a user to basically have a blank slate to work with, and only download the apps they need. At least that's why I do it :)

Ariyala

Jun 29, 2010
Visit site
When I get a new iPhone I set it up as new except for the contacts.

I'd like to do this! I have all my photos in the cloud, my music on iTunes, and I'd like to freshen up my apps. I guess I can DL my contacts to itunes? Hmmm. 5 days to figure this out!

Jim Krupnik

Sep 13, 2014
Visit site
I most always build a new or backup phone from the latest iCloud backup. I take great care, and a great deal of time to tweak my phone, and get everything "right" for me. Building a new phone from the latest backup delivers perfection in a short time. Everything is where it belongs, all of my years of messages are intact, and my folders contain exactly what I expect to find, in exactly the right location. Even my app data is restored perfectly. What's not to love?

If you don't like your old setup, and don't care about lost data, I understand starting from scratch, but if you do like what you built over time, nothing is better than being able to press a button, and have it all on a new phone in a short time... Some passwords, and your fingerprint data will have to be reloaded, but not much else. When the iCloud restore is complete, you hold in your hand a comfortable, upgraded old friend. Then, you can tweak it to your heart's content over time.

I don't see any downside. A restore is "clean". If not, it failed, and you can do it again. Setting up as a new device is a long term pain with no advantage that I can envision.

CycloneFW

Oct 1, 2010
Visit site
If you don't like your old setup, and don't care about lost data, I understand starting from scratch, but if you do like what you built over time, nothing is better than being able to press a button, and have it all on a new phone in a short time... Some passwords, and your fingerprint data will have to be reloaded, but not much else. When the iCloud restore is complete, you hold in your hand a comfortable, upgraded old friend. Then, you can tweak it to your heart's content over time.

I mainly do iCloud backups, but typically do an iTunes backup every other month or so. I then do another backup of both the night before or the day my new phone arrives. I like to restore from iTunes because then you do not need to retype your email passwords again. I have about a dozen accounts I sync, and it's convenient to have the passwords reload automatically. iCloud backups do not include these passwords. Either way is helpful if, like you and me, keep your phone just as you like it.

BenitoC

Jul 6, 2013
Visit site
I always restore from an iTunes backup. It has always worked for me and it's nice to have everything set up as I like it from my previous phone.

LCW

Jul 3, 2010
Visit site
Been restoring from backup since iPhone 4... No issues and minimal time wasted setting up new phone

Aaron Starr

Sep 12, 2014
Visit site
I set up my new devices as new.. I don't restore from backup due to jailbreak tweaks that sometimes messes with a few things. I like starting over new and restoring with backup if i ever need to reset my device or get a replacement

Highrisedrifter

Sep 19, 2012
Visit site
I haven't honestly decided yet.

I restored from a backup when I went from my iPhone 5 to 5S so I may well do the same here.

Setting up as new though can always help with avoiding transferring the inevitable build up of clutter between devices though.

tlo07

Mar 16, 2010
Visit site
I have a different laptop now then I did when I set up my iPhone 5s so I haven't been able to plug in and make a backup on iTunes-- only iCloud. iCloud doesn't restore music, does it? I probably can restore from backup but then plug in to my new laptop to get my music on there, right?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

qbnkelt

Mar 17, 2012
Visit site
Yup. Restore from backup. Cool.

Sent from my AWESOME 64G gold iPhone 5s until my iPhone 6 128G Gold arrives

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member