So why do people prefer setting up their phones as new instead of restoring them from iCloud or iTunes?

Sent from my Space Grey iPhone 5s using Tapatalk
    the idea is that when you start fresh you are not bringing any potential issues, bugs into the new OS and/or phone, I understand why but I've always restored from previous backups and it's always worked for me.
    09-15-2014 03:15 PM
    For new phones, I set up as new and manually add in things. A pain in the whatsit? Yes, but I just feel better when I start fresh on a new device. For my wife's phones, I always restore from backup.
    09-15-2014 03:21 PM
    the idea is that when you start fresh you are not bringing any potential issues, bugs into the new OS and/or phone, I understand why but I've always restored from previous backups and it's always worked for me.
    Agreed. The only time I've experienced some instability was restoring a backup from ios 6 to the ios 7 device. Nothing major and a did a hard reboot to fix But sometimes I just like to start with a clean slate ;
    09-15-2014 03:33 PM
    That's why I start fresh also.

Sent from my iPhone 5s using Tapatalk
    09-15-2014 04:27 PM
    I ordered an iPad Mini. I will set that up as new. All my photos and music are in the cloud.
    As for my apps, I will add those as I need them.
    I only have 33 apps, so it will be easy.
    09-15-2014 04:33 PM
    This was my thought, I anticipated restoring from backup, but I have a problem at the moment where my iPhone 5 which was replaced about 2 months ago will not connect to hotel WIFI I have been in and the Genius's told me it's a software problem and I need to reinstall from scratch - I have not done that as I have over 300 apps and never use my Mac for backup, only iCloud.

So I was thinking of doing a restore first, and if that the iPhone 6 has the same problem with wifi then I'll bite the bullet and reinstall from scratch.
    09-16-2014 08:03 AM
    Agreed. The only time I've experienced some instability was restoring a backup from ios 6 to the ios 7 device. Nothing major and a did a hard reboot to fix But sometimes I just like to start with a clean slate ;
    Wouldn't you want to update the OS first? That's what I always do.

Sent from my AWESOME 64G gold iPhone 5s until my iPhone 6 128G Gold arrives
    09-16-2014 08:14 AM
    Oh boy I need help with this: my last iPhone was a 5, over a year ago. I can't remember for the life of me how I set up my iPad Air when I got it.
    Is it possible to set up my new phone from the settings on my iPad?
    That would be the easiest and most current.
    09-16-2014 10:55 AM
    Restore from backup... If you encounter weird issues then you can wipe the device and start over new.

What I usually do is back up my old phone. Then restore to the new phone. If I need to start over, I delete all the apps from iTunes then transfer purchases from the old phone. That will put all the apps I want in iTunes. Then I set up the new phone as NEW and sync all the apps from iTunes. I use the old phone as a model and move everything to the correct folders. Then I go through and set up all my mail accounts and apps with the settings I want.

I usually do a clean install once a year to get rid of all the beta cruft that might linger since I use my production device to test the later betas.
    Evilguppy likes this.
    09-16-2014 11:12 AM
    Restore from back up. Make sure you've got all your passwords correct before you do anything.
    Check iCloud to see what devices are there. What happened to your last iPhone? Did you clear it from iCloud?
    When you set your device, restore from back up.
    Once all is ruining smoothly enable two step authentication.
    Print out your Restore Key and put it with your most valuable documents.

Let us know if you've got any issues.

Sent from my AWESOME 64G gold iPhone 5s until my iPhone 6 128G Gold arrives
    Evilguppy likes this.
    09-16-2014 11:17 AM
    For new phones, I set up as new and manually add in things. A pain in the whatsit? Yes, but I just feel better when I start fresh on a new device. For my wife's phones, I always restore from backup.
    Ditto, My wife always wants to save like text messages , photos, and crap from like the last ten years on her phone, so I just restore hers from a back-up. Then down the road she always asks why her phone has issues and mine doesn't.
    09-16-2014 11:23 AM
    My fIrst iPhone (3G) was my last clean iPhone. All other iPhones have been restored from a backup. My 6 won't be any different. I backup to iCloud and once a week I manually backup to iTunes. I have a slow internet connection so restoring from iCloud is painfully slow. I did it with the 5s because my iMac was broken at the time. I ended up going to the hospital to finish my restore there. Their connection is super fast. This year I have a working iMac so it's gonna be easy peasy! #TeamRestore

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    09-16-2014 11:34 AM
    I've always set up as new before, however this time I was thinking of restoring from a back up. I have some texts that I'd rather not delete. Is it possible to ONLY restore the messages or is the whole thing or nada?
    09-16-2014 01:49 PM
    Setup as new, specially if jailbroken.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    09-16-2014 07:33 PM
    I normally set up as new but I just got a new 5s as a replacement and the Apple folks recommended I set it up as new since my backup was old. I did that about 3 weeks ago and I don't expect any issues. I also will probably use an iTunes backup instead of iCloud.
    09-16-2014 07:35 PM
    When I had to have my 5 replaced only a week after getting it originally (wifi issue) I was told by someone that I should set it up as new and manually re-install my apps. I can't remember why but if I recall I think it keeps the install cleaner and the phone faster. I know that was the case sometimes in android and blackberry (especially with custom OS builds) but I can't remember anymore how valid the advice actually is.

Regardless, I'm going to set up as new. It'll take a while to reinstall my apps but I think I'd rather do it that way than possibly having to do it again if something goes wonky.
    09-16-2014 07:40 PM
    When I had to have my 5 replaced only a week after getting it originally (wifi issue) I was told by someone that I should set it up as new and manually re-install my apps. I can't remember why but if I recall I think it keeps the install cleaner and the phone faster. I know that was the case sometimes in android and blackberry (especially with custom OS builds) but I can't remember anymore how valid the advice actually is.

Regardless, I'm going to set up as new. It'll take a while to reinstall my apps but I think I'd rather do it that way than possibly having to do it again if something goes wonky.
    i really don't think it matters how you do it. I think people just say to set up as new because it gives them peace of mind to do it that way even though it creates a lot more work for you. and don't always go by what apple geniuses tell you, most of them have no education
    09-17-2014 12:30 PM
67 123