I run an icloud and iTunes backup the night or morning before I get a new one and restore from there. I like the way things are set and hate redoing it all. I do have to readjust my apps though to account for the extra row...
    09-14-2014 09:38 PM
    I'm surprised so many people setup as new. I love restoring from backup & having everything exactly the way It was on my last phone.
    Is there an advantage to setting it up as new???
    I guess some people, like me, like having a fresh start. It allows a user to basically have a blank slate to work with, and only download the apps they need. At least that's why I do it
    elmacho likes this.
    09-14-2014 09:39 PM
    When I get a new iPhone I set it up as new except for the contacts.
    I'd like to do this! I have all my photos in the cloud, my music on iTunes, and I'd like to freshen up my apps. I guess I can DL my contacts to itunes? Hmmm. 5 days to figure this out!
    09-14-2014 09:44 PM
    I most always build a new or backup phone from the latest iCloud backup. I take great care, and a great deal of time to tweak my phone, and get everything "right" for me. Building a new phone from the latest backup delivers perfection in a short time. Everything is where it belongs, all of my years of messages are intact, and my folders contain exactly what I expect to find, in exactly the right location. Even my app data is restored perfectly. What's not to love?

If you don't like your old setup, and don't care about lost data, I understand starting from scratch, but if you do like what you built over time, nothing is better than being able to press a button, and have it all on a new phone in a short time... Some passwords, and your fingerprint data will have to be reloaded, but not much else. When the iCloud restore is complete, you hold in your hand a comfortable, upgraded old friend. Then, you can tweak it to your heart's content over time.

I don't see any downside. A restore is "clean". If not, it failed, and you can do it again. Setting up as a new device is a long term pain with no advantage that I can envision.
    09-14-2014 09:57 PM
    If you don't like your old setup, and don't care about lost data, I understand starting from scratch, but if you do like what you built over time, nothing is better than being able to press a button, and have it all on a new phone in a short time... Some passwords, and your fingerprint data will have to be reloaded, but not much else. When the iCloud restore is complete, you hold in your hand a comfortable, upgraded old friend. Then, you can tweak it to your heart's content over time.
    I mainly do iCloud backups, but typically do an iTunes backup every other month or so. I then do another backup of both the night before or the day my new phone arrives. I like to restore from iTunes because then you do not need to retype your email passwords again. I have about a dozen accounts I sync, and it's convenient to have the passwords reload automatically. iCloud backups do not include these passwords. Either way is helpful if, like you and me, keep your phone just as you like it.
    09-14-2014 10:39 PM
    I always restore from an iTunes backup. It has always worked for me and it's nice to have everything set up as I like it from my previous phone.
    09-14-2014 10:52 PM
    I always restore from backup. Never caused me any trouble.
    Oh thank God.... I felt so alone ...
    LCW likes this.
    09-15-2014 12:10 AM
    Been restoring from backup since iPhone 4... No issues and minimal time wasted setting up new phone
    09-15-2014 12:15 AM
    Been restoring from backup since iPhone 4... No issues and minimal time wasted setting up new phone
    Welcome to our team...
    09-15-2014 12:19 AM
    I always set it up as new
    09-15-2014 12:27 AM
    I set up my new devices as new.. I don't restore from backup due to jailbreak tweaks that sometimes messes with a few things. I like starting over new and restoring with backup if i ever need to reset my device or get a replacement
    09-15-2014 01:43 AM
    I haven't honestly decided yet.

I restored from a backup when I went from my iPhone 5 to 5S so I may well do the same here.

Setting up as new though can always help with avoiding transferring the inevitable build up of clutter between devices though.
    09-15-2014 07:13 AM
    I have a different laptop now then I did when I set up my iPhone 5s so I haven't been able to plug in and make a backup on iTunes-- only iCloud. iCloud doesn't restore music, does it? I probably can restore from backup but then plug in to my new laptop to get my music on there, right?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    09-15-2014 07:55 AM
    Always set-up a new phone as a new phone. Somethings are just that simple ...
    09-15-2014 09:52 AM
    I think I will restore from backup. I doubt there will be any issues
    09-15-2014 10:02 AM
    Yup. Restore from backup. Cool.

Sent from my AWESOME 64G gold iPhone 5s until my iPhone 6 128G Gold arrives
    09-15-2014 10:10 AM
    I always setup as a new device even when I upgrade iOS. It will be no different this time as well on Sep 17th!
    Not Quite Right likes this.
    09-15-2014 10:16 AM
    I'm setting up as new. I have a couple backups but I want to start from scratch with everything. Be using android devices for the last 9 months so I want this to feel as fresh as possible.
    09-15-2014 10:18 AM
    Usually update as new but think will do from back up this time. Will all the pics in icloud come back if set up as new or only with restore.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    09-15-2014 10:28 AM
    I've always restored from iCloud backup as well. Zero issues across all my phones and iPads.
    09-15-2014 10:34 AM
    Just gonna restore my backup as always. If I encounter problems, I'll set up as new.
    09-15-2014 11:10 AM
    I always set up from backup, usually iCloud but sometimes iTunes.

One question - it's amazing how many apps still do not keep their passwords in iCloud, so you have to manually look them up/enter them. Have others seen this, is there an easy solution?
    09-15-2014 11:24 AM
    So why do people prefer setting up their phones as new instead of restoring them from iCloud or iTunes?

Sent from my Space Grey iPhone 5s using Tapatalk
    09-15-2014 11:45 AM
    I'm setting this one up as new. When I got my current phone, an Apple Store Genius transferred my information to it from my Droid X and it's been wonky at times - mostly with the storage space saying it's completely full (16GB phone) when I have almost no apps and less than 6 GB of music. When I took it in for help they said the transfer from the Droid may have caused some issues. I have no idea if this is right or not but they had me do a full factory restore and that fixed things.

So as convenient as it would be to restore from backup, I'm planning on starting fresh this time. I'll transfer my pictures to our Mac and take screenshots of my current set-up...that should help.
    09-15-2014 12:00 PM
    Usually update as new but think will do from back up this time. Will all the pics in icloud come back if set up as new or only with restore.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Yes. Pictures sync when you add your icloud account to the phone and choose photos to sync. Doesn't matter when set up as new or restore.
    mjsavage likes this.
    09-15-2014 12:09 PM
67 123