New iphone purchase, did you go with 2 yr plan, pay full price, or the payment plan (ATT Next)?

Jimbos Jumbos

Jan 22, 2010
Visit site
I have always done the 2 yr contract, but I was not up for contract yet (Just got the 5s last September). I was going to use my wifes number (and upgrade), but ran the numbers and I ended up using ATT Next. I wasnt even considering it, but ran the numbers anyway, and it was the best deal for me.

Pay $37.50 for 20 months = $749 plus tax is $795
I get a $25 monthly discount for not using a subsidized phone.
That means I will pay $795 for the phone, but get $25/mo credit (over 24 months, =$600). So the phone will cost me $195

2 yr plan would have cost me $300 plus tax plus $40 upgrade

what did you do?

Bmichael78

Feb 8, 2014
Visit site
I bought the "contract free" from the Apple website. I'm still not entirely sure how the Tmo SIM card figures into it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

scorpiodsu

Jan 28, 2011
Visit site
Bought via next. I was already on next so I paid the remaining balance on both of those phones and bought 2 iphones. Sell the current phones to recoup the money back for paying of the balance. So for me I'm expecting to be net out of pocket around $200 for 2 new iphones and same bill had I not paid the phones off. Works for me and I'll do the same next year lol.

CzekChik

Sep 8, 2014
Visit site
how did you get the $25/month credit? i couldn't find it anywhere on ATT website. did they offer that to you or did you have to ask for it?

scorpiodsu

Jan 28, 2011
Visit site
how did you get the $25/month credit? i couldn't find it anywhere on ATT website. did they offer that to you or did you have to ask for it?

They apply it to your bill. But it all depends on what mobile share plan you're on. If it's the 10gb then you get $25 off per line. If it's less than that then the discount is $15. Basically all they do is charge different rates per line depending on whether you are on contract or not. See the link below for the differences. In my case, Next makes more since than contract since I upgrade often. So I don't have to come out of the pocket $200-$300 upfront and basically by month by month until my next phone.

http://m.att.com/shopmobile/wireless/data-plans.html?referrer=

LCW

Jul 3, 2010
Visit site
Had no choice really... didn't want to go contract (had been contract free for last 2 years)... but bit the bullet and did 2 yr VZW... didn't want to risk getting the T-mo one and find out it's locked... can't get T-mo where I'm at anyways (out in the sticks)... and AT&T still doesn't have LTE in my area, so VZW is the the primary choice around here... which is fine as I really haven't had any issues with them.

Kinda dumb that Apple didn't allow contract free CDMA versions, but at the end of the day, I'll probably stay with VZW for at least the next 2 yrs... and if not, even at 399 for 6 128 gb, and assuming a 350 ETF, would still be cheaper even if I dumped VZW in like 6 months... The CDMA version of the 6/6Plus is probably more desirable anyways, since it does all the GSM/LTE bands along with CDMA, *and* comes unlocked. Just gotta deal with the contract thing.

raorth

Oct 3, 2012
Visit site
Bought two 6s full price on ATT. Was going to do 2 year contracts but then saw I lost my 25/mo credit per line on my mobile share plan. Plus would pay activation fee of $80 (for both phones). So $50/mo x 24 months = 1200.00 + $80 = 1280.00. 2 new phones was $1500.00 and my company pays for one of them. So in the long run buying them out right was the best plan.

Milenkod

Oct 5, 2010
Visit site
So all-in taxes included, what is the difference between NEXT and No-Contract iphone cost(s)?

Last edited:

Milenkod

Oct 5, 2010
Visit site
So if you pre-order from Apple, what is the option for Unlocked? It's only SIM-free and T-Moblie. I assume SIM-free is "unlocked"

cardfan

Oct 26, 2004
Visit site
Had no choice really... didn't want to go contract (had been contract free for last 2 years)... but bit the bullet and did 2 yr VZW... didn't want to risk getting the T-mo one and find out it's locked... can't get T-mo where I'm at anyways (out in the sticks)... and AT&T still doesn't have LTE in my area, so VZW is the the primary choice around here... which is fine as I really haven't had any issues with them.

Kinda dumb that Apple didn't allow contract free CDMA versions, but at the end of the day, I'll probably stay with VZW for at least the next 2 yrs... and if not, even at 399 for 6 128 gb, and assuming a 350 ETF, would still be cheaper even if I dumped VZW in like 6 months... The CDMA version of the 6/6Plus is probably more desirable anyways, since it does all the GSM/LTE bands along with CDMA, *and* comes unlocked. Just gotta deal with the contract thing.

Not sure why you're hung up on the contract since Verizon seems to be your only option.

inoutside

May 4, 2013
Visit site
Correct me if I'm wrong, but arent these new plans "Next" "Edge" etc etc some sort of lease for the phone? In short, once you do choose to upgrade again, you'll have to surrender your phone to your provider? Whereas a regular 2 year contract will allow you to keep the device?

Milenkod

Oct 5, 2010
Visit site
Correct me if I'm wrong, but arent these new plans "Next" "Edge" etc etc some sort of lease for the phone? In short, once you do choose to upgrade again, you'll have to surrender your phone to your provider? Whereas a regular 2 year contract will allow you to keep the device?

Yes and No. You are paying the full non-contract price of the phone, split each month. Depending on which program you choose (12 or 18 month), you can turn in your phone at the end of that term and re-start with a new device. If you go the full term (24 months) and choose not to turn-in at 12 or 18 months the phone is yours to keep...you've paid the full price. Think of it as ending your term early and using you device turn-in as a down payment towards a new one. AT&T is making money on the fact that they can refurbish the device and re-sell it. They are also taking a risk that you've taken decent care of the device and refurbishing will and re-sell would still net a profit.

inoutside

May 4, 2013
Visit site
Yes and No. You are paying the full non-contract price of the phone, split each month. Depending on which program you choose (12 or 18 month), you can turn in your phone at the end of that term and re-start with a new device. If you go the full term (24 months) and choose not to turn-in at 12 or 18 months the phone is yours to keep...you've paid the full price. Think of it as ending your term early and using you device turn-in as a down payment towards a new one. AT&T is making money on the fact that they can refurbish the device and re-sell it. They are also taking a risk that you've taken decent care of the device and refurbishing will and re-sell would still net a profit.

So it all depends how long you plan to keep your phone. And ultimately is still a 2 year contract? Thanks for clearing that up!

Milenkod

Oct 5, 2010
Visit site
So it all depends how long you plan to keep your phone. And ultimately is still a 2 year contract? Thanks for clearing that up!
...Something like you can surrender your phone or pay the remaining balance if you want to quit. It's a non-contract, contract of sorts. You are not necessarily tied to a 2-year commitment. Your payments are just split into 24 payments and your service includes the $25 line credit like a Bring-Your-Own device. Some people start with NEXT, get their tax return and pay the balance and own the phone. Then you can have AT&T unlock it for you since it's yours.

Milenkod

Oct 5, 2010
Visit site

AT&T never makes it clear that you can use NEXT to own your phone. They advertise it as 12/18 month term and then get a new phone...playing on the fact everyone is used to being teid to a long term contract. They really want your device at trade-in to make money off of you...again.

inoutside

May 4, 2013
Visit site
AT&T never makes it clear that you can use NEXT to own your phone. They advertise it as 12/18 month term and then get a new phone...playing on the fact everyone is used to being teid to a long term contract. They really want your device at trade-in to make money off of you...again.

So basically you're paying for something you may not even get to keep? BS

michikade

Sep 15, 2014
Visit site
I'm doing mine through Sprint's new iPhone plan. If I choose to keep the phone at the end of 2 years rather than turning it in, I've had it confirmed twice that all I have to do is pay the balance (so basically it's easy pay with smaller payments and a smaller monthly service cost with the option to pay the lump sum if I want to).

Milenkod

Oct 5, 2010
Visit site
So basically you're paying for something you may not even get to keep? BS
No that's incorrect...it's your choice to trade it in early (at the 12 or 18 month interval) or pay-out the full 24 monthly payments and keep it. On next, your not paying any more than what the cost of the device is. On a regular contract, you are plus you pay tax on the full value of the phone. The 24 month old-school contract is the most expensive.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CØR