Oh wait...you're right. Obama promised us all iPhone's. WHERE'S MY GUBMENT iPHONE!?

All kidding aside, it's just sad to me that people are so much more willing to throw logic to the wind these days to try and find something to complain about. Here we have Apple offering a new device with more storage for the SAME PRICE as the previous model with less storage, and some how Apple is attacking...lol! What's next? Apple gives away iPads to people, and because they only give away the white and silver model, they are being racists?

Some days I just want to jettison myself to the moon to escape the idiocy.
    I saw hundreds of people trash talking Tmobile for giving 200mb data FREE to tablet owners. They fussed that it wasn't enough
    09-11-2014 04:28 PM
    If you upgrade to the next iPhone model next year, when you get the next model, you give your existing iPhone back to them. Read the details on the plan, it's spelled out pretty clearly. You're essentially RENTING the iPhone from AT&T.

Attachment 64421
    That's true if you do the early trade-in to ATT or Verizon or whatever. But if you make all the scheduled payments at the end you own the phone and don't have to trade it in. So on the 24-month plan you have the option to trade-in after 18 months I think but if you make all 24 payments it's yours to keep or sell. Same with the 12-month trade-in plan. I think for that one you have 20 equal payments and if you make all of them the phone is yours to sell.
    But those plans are a ripoff if you do the early trade-in. Otherwise they're ok because it is an interest free loan over the course of 20 or 24 months. Just the retail cost divided by 20 or 24.
    09-11-2014 06:14 PM
    Next is good for people who are currently under contract and cannot afford to pay for a device in full. Most carriers will convert you to one of those plans rather than allowing an early upgrade on a 2 year contract. I agree that's its not the ideal way to go but it's just an option for people who have no choice but to pay full price. They warned us a couple years ago that carriers are trying to eliminate subsidies as much as possible and this is one of the ways. Another thing is Att gives you a slightly discounted pricing plan if using next vs the normal contract. So for many users it's a benefit. But yes for most, not the best. I've been on both sides of they coin.
    09-11-2014 06:24 PM
    Just to provide a little more info.... Right now on a mobile share plan with both phones on contract, Att charges $40 per line for the 10gb plan. But if you get a phone via next it's $15 per device. So say you get the cheapest iPhone that around $27 bucks a month. So at the end the difference is negligible. Of course thes difference gets bigger the more expensive the device. So again I think it a most good for people on contract who cannot upgrade and for people who like to change devices often. These people are basically renting a device until the next one comes out. Good luck to all.... No matter how you're purchasing.
    rootbeersoup likes this.
    09-11-2014 06:51 PM
    When you figure up the Next plan (or Edge plan from Verizon), you must factor in the ability of the standard contract (or uncontracted) customer to SELL their iPhone each year vs. trading in the device.

I've seen several break downs of the cost comparison between Next and standard contract...and if a person continues using AT&T, it appears that the Next plan would save them around $350-$400 over a 24 month period (if they traded in their device for a new device at the mid range, 12 month point). That savings does not factor in the standard contract holder's ability to sell the initial iPhone to off set the cost of the new model. I figured that, on average, you can usually sell an iPhone (standard 16GB model) for around $400-$450 after the release of a replacement model...multiply that by 2 (since at the end of the 24 month period they would essentially have two phones they could have sold for an average market price to offset cost).

So in the end, you have a range of $800-$900 off set to a standard contracted customer over 24 months vs. a Next customer who does not own either of the devices, and trades in the first for the second device at the 12 month point, and would still have to continue to pay payments for the 2nd device beyond the 24 month contract period. Factor in the price of an unsubsidized iPhone at the 12 month point for the regular contract customer, and you drop that offset about $250-$300.

That $350-$400 savings is negated by the offset of $800-$900 for the regular contract customer, so in reality, you're spending about $200-$250 MORE for the Next program if we were to try and equate the two.
    09-11-2014 07:05 PM
    With Sprints it's Interest free but I never been the one to sell my old phones back to anyone other than my carrier or gift them to a family member. I like to upgrade every year and this gives me the option. I get a discounted plan and a phone that I want. Also I am not able to upgrade right now. I have to wait another year and I don't want to so I will be taking this way.
    09-11-2014 07:10 PM
    These plans work perfectly for anyone who doesn't care about selling their out going device...and I'd venture to say it's a better option for those who would consider using a trade in service like Gazelle or the like, as the savings offset would be about equal in the end after 24 months (given how little you get for these devices on those trade in sites)...you might even make out better using one of these upgrade plans from your carrier if you ever consider trade in sites.
    09-11-2014 07:17 PM
    These plans work perfectly for anyone who doesn't care about selling their out going device...and I'd venture to say it's a better option for those who would consider using a trade in service like Gazelle or the like, as the savings offset would be about equal in the end after 24 months (given how little you get for these devices on those trade in sites)...you might even make out better using one of these upgrade plans from your carrier if you ever consider trade in sites.
    I never sold my phones back because I am not a fan of Craigslist or Ebay so I think this is a good option for those. Especially since they have so many cheaper plans tailor made for things like this. I think it all depends on what you're trying to accomplish in the end.
    09-11-2014 07:20 PM
    That's true if you do the early trade-in to ATT or Verizon or whatever. But if you make all the scheduled payments at the end you own the phone and don't have to trade it in. So on the 24-month plan you have the option to trade-in after 18 months I think but if you make all 24 payments it's yours to keep or sell. Same with the 12-month trade-in plan. I think for that one you have 20 equal payments and if you make all of them the phone is yours to sell.
    But those plans are a ripoff if you do the early trade-in. Otherwise they're ok because it is an interest free loan over the course of 20 or 24 months. Just the retail cost divided by 20 or 24.
    You can also keep the phone if you just pay it off any any point within the payment period (20/24 months).
    09-11-2014 07:25 PM
    Using the Apple app are the only options for an ATT number to do "Next" or a new two year contract? I just want to pay full price with no strings. I'm not on contract now so why would the apple site force me to Next or another 2 year contract.
    09-11-2014 07:34 PM
    Att next is good because it allows me to lower our bill from $155 to $90. I'm gonna get the iphone 6 for another $31 a month and still end up saving money.

On a regular plan with a subsidized phone, you pay full price for the phone whether you realize it or not. The difference is that with Next, you don't keep paying for it after your contract expires
    09-11-2014 09:22 PM
    Att next is good because it allows me to lower our bill from $155 to $90. I'm gonna get the iphone 6 for another $31 a month and still end up saving money.

On a regular plan with a subsidized phone, you pay full price for the phone whether you realize it or not. The difference is that with Next, you don't keep paying for it after your contract expires

I would hope that a next customer would be smart enough to just pay the first phone off, sell it and then sign up with next again.
    rootbeersoup likes this.
    09-11-2014 10:18 PM
    I would hope that a next customer would be smart enough to just pay the first phone off, sell it and then sign up with next again.
    But AT&T (and all other carriers) are really, really hoping that people upgrade early and therefore have to trade in the phone rather than keeping it to the end and selling it themselves.
    09-11-2014 10:40 PM
    FWIW, I just had a long chat with a good AT&T rep. For reference, we currently have and iPhone 5 and iPhone 5S both purchased on their respective launch days. We currently have a really old-school plan with 550 shared minutes, no texting (20 a text, 30 for MMS) although we don't text without iMessage that often, and unlimited data on both lines. My questions were in regards to the Mobile Share Plans and the Next program.

Here's my initial questions before the chat started:
    1) If we switched to Next, would that make both iPhones immediately off contract?
    2) If #1 is true, would both therefore eligible to be unlocked immediately?
    3) Phones purchased on the Next plan are always unlocked since you aren't under contract?
    4) Please verify that on the Next plan if you pay the balance off (whether after the 24 installments or early), the phone is yours and you are free to sell it and not do a trade-in?Thanks.

Here's the text of our chat

Mary Ann Eggers: Hello Karen, we will discuss one by one your concerns to better assist you, let me go ahead and check your account first.

Karen Coulter: ok

Karen Coulter: hopefully my questions were quick and to the point. mainly just gathering info. not looking to make any changes tonight.

Mary Ann Eggers: Sure, no problem.

Mary Ann Eggers: For your first question, once you upgrade your phone with AT&T Next for both phones, contract will be ended and replace it with no contract which is AT&T Next installment program for the device.

Karen Coulter: Thx

Karen Coulter: But there would be no installment for existing devices on the account, right? Only an installment if we add a new phone.

Mary Ann Eggers: For the second question, you can request for unlock once you settle the balance for the billing period when you upgraded the device.

Mary Ann Eggers: Yes, for the old device no installment payment, it will be on the new device that you will purchase with AT&T Next.

Karen Coulter: ok. so even the 5S which has 1 year left on contract there will be no installment payment?

Mary Ann Eggers: Nope.

Karen Coulter: Good. So for the 5S (which wouldn't be upgraded, just the 5 is being upgrade) would also be immediately eligible for unlock as soon as a new device is purchased even though the new device isn't replacing the 5S.

Mary Ann Eggers: The AT&T Next device is locked because it is an installment device.

Mary Ann Eggers: Yes, you can unlock the iPhone 5 once you upgraded it as long as you don't have past due balance.

Karen Coulter: ok. but both existing devices that are currently under contract would be eligible to be unlocked if we switched to the Mobile Share Plans with Next?

Karen Coulter: I understand that the Next device would be locked until paid off. I'm wondering about the existing phones.

Mary Ann Eggers: Yes, if both of your phones will be eligible to upgrade it with AT&T Next, then no past due balance, you can request to unlock your old devices.

Karen Coulter: So if it is eligible to upgrade with Next, but not upgraded, it will still be eligible for unlock.

Karen Coulter: Sorry to be a pain...just trying to make sure I understand.

Mary Ann Eggers: It's okay, I am glad to help you.

Mary Ann Eggers: If you didn't upgrade your existing phone, you will need to finish the contract to request for unlock.

Karen Coulter: So what happens if we switch from our old plan to a new Mobile Share Plan and only 1 of the phones is upgraded using Next. Does the non-upgraded phone have to pay the $40 access fee rather than the $15 access fee?

Mary Ann Eggers: Let me check on that.

Karen Coulter: thx

Mary Ann Eggers: You are most welcome. :-)

Mary Ann Eggers: Which line are you referring that it will not be upgraded?

Karen Coulter: x6578, the current contract expiration is something like 9/15/2015.

Karen Coulter: The other line is almost off contract something like 9/15/2014.

Mary Ann Eggers: You mean ending line 6378?

Karen Coulter: Yes

Mary Ann Eggers: Karen, eve only one line will be upgraded, your other line still can receive a $25 discount on the line under the Mobile Share Value Plan 10GB, it means that the line charge will be $15 per month.

Karen Coulter: Thanks. That's good news.

Karen Coulter: Now onto my other questions...

Mary Ann Eggers: Let me better show you the comparison between your current plan and the new plan.

Karen Coulter: ok. we can do that as well

Mary Ann Eggers: From the Overview page of your online account> Click the dropdown "I Want To" > Select "Manage My Plan & Services" > click "View or Change My Plan"

Mary Ann Eggers: You will see there how much you can save with the new plan.

Mary Ann Eggers: Not to mention that you will also have the domestic unlimited call and text to all networks, plus the unlimited international text messaging from US to other countries.

Karen Coulter: Yeah, I've been there before although I am bring it up now. I have these questions because it isn't really a savings since we have an old style 550/min/month family plan with no text and unlimited data on 2 iPhones.

Mary Ann Eggers: You can also use the mobile hotspot to share the data to your other devices, unlike with your current data plans, you weren't able to use the hotspot.

Karen Coulter: But yes it does add unlimited text and voice (and I almost have a teenager), but we have to give up the unlimited data. So I really want to make sure it makes sense. You're being very helpful.

Karen Coulter: Tethering would occasionally come in handy.

Mary Ann Eggers: Yeah that is right, also base on your usage, you really don't use that much data, so 10GB is better plan with savings.

Mary Ann Eggers: On your third question, you will own the device, once you completed the Next 24 month payment.

Karen Coulter: Thanks. I've heard conflicting things about having to trade it in and I wanted to confirm because I'd rather sell it myself after 2 years.

Mary Ann Eggers: Let me further explain to you the AT&T Next how it works.

Karen Coulter: ok

Mary Ann Eggers: AT&T Next has two part of payments which is Next 12 (20 month installment) and Next 18 (24 month installment).

Mary Ann Eggers: You can take advantage to trade in your device after 12 months (20 month) to get a new one and the remaining balance on the device will be waive, same as on the Next 18 after 18 months you can do the same trade in.

Karen Coulter: ok. that makes sense. so if you go the entire 20 (or 24) months the device is yours and you don't need to do a trade in. Thanks.

Mary Ann Eggers: Yes that is correct.

Karen Coulter: I think that's all of those questions then. I did think of one more. The 10GB Mobile Share Plan would be $100 + $15 each per phone for a total of $130. We currently have a 15% corporate discount. Does that apply to the entire $130?

Mary Ann Eggers: The 15% corporate discount will be apply to the 10GB data amount of $100.

Karen Coulter: Ok. So it would not apply to the 2 $15 fees?

Mary Ann Eggers: Nope.

Karen Coulter: ok. do you know why? just curious...

Karen Coulter: because it currently applies to the voice charge on the 1st line and the data charges on both lines.

Mary Ann Eggers: We only offers the corporate discount on the data plan under the Mobile Share Plan because this plan is cheaper compare to the grandfathered plans.

Karen Coulter: Not in our case though...Switching to the 10GB mobile share ends up being about $9/month more.

Karen Coulter: But ok. thanks for the explanation.

Mary Ann Eggers: Sure, you are most welcome.

Karen Coulter: I thinks that's all. You've been most helpful.

Mary Ann Eggers: I will assure you that you really can save your money with the Mobile Share Value Plans.

Mary Ann Eggers: The pleasure is all mine, Karen. :-)

Mary Ann Eggers: Would there be anything else I can help you with?

Karen Coulter: Nope. Thanks a bunch.

Mary Ann Eggers: You are very welcome.

Mary Ann Eggers: Thank you for chatting with us today and have a wonderful evening. :-)
    jburke82 likes this.
    09-11-2014 10:46 PM
    Just found this chart:

AT&T Next Pricing details:

AT&T Next 12 months 18 months
    iPhone 6 16 GB $32.50 $27.09
    iPhone 6 64 GB $37.50 $31.25
    iPhone 6 128 GB $42.50 $35.42
    iPhone 6 Plus 16 GB $37.50 $31.25
    iPhone 6 Plus 64 GB $42.50 $35.42
    iPhone 6 Plus 128 GB $47.50 $39.59
    Last edited by taz323; 09-11-2014 at 11:41 PM. Reason: removed link
    09-11-2014 11:10 PM
    Does anyone know how much the monthly payments will be for the 64GB iPhone 6 model?
    There's no information available yet on AT&T website.
    I realize there are the 12 and 18 months options.

Also, is it possible to purchase the phone afterwards if you change your mind?

I don't know why Apple is not making a 32GB model this year. That's all the storage I need !!

Thanks for your comments.

-Rich
    37.50 for 12 months or 31.25 for 18. You can pay it off and keep it if you wish.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
    09-11-2014 11:21 PM
    The problem is why didn't Apple just drop the 16GB. It's a subtle attack on users claiming to have the entry iPhone starting at 32GB. I'm sure if we all poll Apple users, the sweet spot is 32GB. So, instead of dropping the 16GB.. they drop the 32GB instead and replacing it with the 64GB.

It's an argument for those that don't need a 64GB iPhone.. and is perfectly fine with a 32GB.
    it's not an attack. It's business.

It's very simple. Apple's best selling device was the 32 gb 5s at $299. If they make that the base model and drop it a hundred dollars to $199, Apple is guessing people just like you will still buy the iphone six in 32gb versions but now at a hundred bucks less losing them $100 on every phone that goes to someone that otherwise would have bought a $299 phone. That is, they kept it at 16 gbs to encourage consumers to keep buying $299 the 64gb version so they can maintain their profit margins. It's not an attack. It's business. You buy the product or don't.
    09-12-2014 01:17 AM
    If you upgrade to the next iPhone model next year, when you get the next model, you give your existing iPhone back to them. Read the details on the plan, it's spelled out pretty clearly. You're essentially RENTING the iPhone from AT&T.

Attachment 64421

With Edge and Next programs carriers are counting on making money on early traders. But if you use it as a way to spread out the payment over n number of months and stay until you pay off the phone, then the phone is yours and you can continue with it or sell it at that time. These programs are basically interest free installment payment options. Good for folks who wants to spread cost of the new phone over time and don't mind sticking with carrier until it is paid off. Plus you get other benefits such as reduced monthly access fee per line for using one of these programs. I am not seeing an issue if you are not planning upgrade/switch too early.
    scorpiodsu likes this.
    09-12-2014 02:08 AM
    I hope this helps, I have the AT&T next plan and this is how it works.

Choose the phone you want, for instance I chose the iPhone 6 16 gig. Now I am paying 27 dollars a month for 24 months to PAY OFF the phone and straight out own it after 2 years. Now after that 2 years I would have paid 649 for the phone. After 18 months (12 if you're doing the 20 month pay off) I can hand in my phone and get the newest one IF I choose to. After 24 months I own my phone. $27.08 x 24 months equals $649.92. Not bad if you ask me. I wish I had the money to pay outright but I don't, and this is the next best thing.
    09-12-2014 02:59 PM
    who if i pay on my phone on the NEXT plan and choose to upgrade but not to the NEXT plan again? wouldn't I be able to keep my current phone?
    09-12-2014 04:39 PM
    who if i pay on my phone on the NEXT plan and choose to upgrade but not to the NEXT plan again? wouldn't I be able to keep my current phone?
    Not sure you can switch back and forth. if you’re doing Next and still on a 2-year subsidy plan, then you’re double paying for your phone. Part of the plan cost is a subsidy repayment to AT&T (which you would not be getting, but still paying for).
    09-12-2014 06:32 PM

But if you are gonna keep the plan and the phone for the full 24 months, what would you gain by paying full price instead of discounted price? ( $950 vs $500 )
    09-13-2014 10:02 AM
    But if you are gonna keep the plan and the phone for the full 24 months, what would you gain by paying full price instead of discounted price? ( $950 vs $500 )
    By $500 I assume the on contract subsidized price? It really depends on the cost of your current plan. For lots of people who are already on a mobile share type plan and pay a $40 charge per phone (in addition to the shared data charge) if the phone is on contract, getting on a Next plan drops the per phone access charge to $15 and could end up saving them money. In my case it doesn't but I'm on an old-school 550 min/month plan with no texting but I do have the grandfathered unlimited data. I made another thread where I posted a spreadsheet I personally used to compare the costs over the two years that I keep a phone using my current plan and all of the carriers Next-style plans. To see what is cheaper in the long run, everyone just has to run the numbers for themselves.
    09-13-2014 10:25 AM
    Because it doesn't save you any money...you're essentially paying more for a phone that you don't really own (since you have to give it back the "NEXT" (lol) time you upgrade, and you're basically just paying a ridiculous lease rate to AT&T. It's kind of humorous honestly, reminds me of those payday loan places in terms of the ethics of the program (towards the consumer).

SeanHRCC: It may not save you any money, but it may not cost you any [more] money either. With Next/Edge you can still buy in full and re-sell the phone - its a matter of how you want to distribute the full retail price.

Some assumptions:
    --You want newest iThing every year
    --You want to avoid contract lock
    --For this example, new iP 6+, 128B, full retail $945.

1) Buy new phone outright, pay full retail. Use as desired, upgrade as desired, sell older phone at time of upgrade, assume 1 year later per iRelease cycle.

For new one, spend $945 up front; sell for ~ $450 next year when new one comes out. Your net outlay for Phone 1 is $505 or $42/month (whatever you don't recoup for selling it). Buy NEW phone at release, pay full retail again. Rinse, repeat.

2) Buy new phone under Next/Edge. Pay monthly rate, use as desired, upgrade as desired, assume 1 year later per iRelease cycle.

At time of upgrade, pay balance due ($386) keep old phone; sell it for ~$450 ($64 more than you spent to pay it off). Net outlay for one year of use $564-$68=$496 ($41/month).

Either way, you pay tax on full retail price up front. Either way, your net outlay is pretty much equal. Difference is how you splash it out. To buy up front just means larger outlays, less often. Edge-ing means smaller outlays, more often, equivalent net cost for one year of use. Either way, to have a new device each year, your net cost is always going to be about $500. Perpetually (because it starts all over with the next new device).

3) Edge the same device as above. Pay monthly rate for one year. At next release, Edge-up, turn in original; start a new Edge; monthly fee whatever it is.

If you can sell device for a lot more than that after one year, yeah - you're ahead with buying in full with 1 or 2. If you can't -- *or you don't want to* deal with selling, you turn in, get new iThing, start over, pay by the month.

For consumers, its all about the same. If you want to have the latest iThing every year, contract free, you're going to "pay" about $50/month, every month, (at current prices) to have the newest top of the line, max GB iThing in your pocket.

It's all kind of a wash really. If you want the new one each year and you get some joy out of buying/reselling, etc - a couple of ways to do that now. If you get NO joy whatsoever from re-selling, there's now a way you can have new iThing each year at nearly the same net 12-month cost - you never have to splash out full retail, and you never have to re-sell.

Next/Edge is still for vendors - b/c they can make out by getting old phones back for refurbs, parts, whatever. As consumers, unless you're a re-sale WHIZ, there's a somewhat fixed net monthly cost just to have a new iThing in your pocket. Next/Edge will seldom be a *better* deal, just a different one. Having paid full retail for three iPads and two of three iPhones, I appreciate the new options.
    Last edited by Rocket_Girl; 09-13-2014 at 11:48 AM.
    baseballbert likes this.
    09-13-2014 11:12 AM
    Tell us the pros about it.

Duvi, where do you get $700 from ? If you go with the most expensive iphone 6 plus you will have to pay $500 ( vs Next costing you $949 PLUS TAX calculated on the $949 ).
    Not being eligible for an upgrade... it costs $649.99 + tax for the base model. In my store, that's about $728.03!
    09-14-2014 11:32 AM
61 123