Are You Prepared For iOS 8 And A New Phone?

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
Most of you know the drill. Be prepared for anything! Everything does not always go as smoothly as we would like. That phone you want may be out of stock. All your contacts may not be backed up. You may have storage space hogs that need dealing with. So here's some tips that should apply to both installing iOS 8 and changing to a new phone.
To view the real memory hogs on your iOS device, run the Settings app and select General then Usage. Be patient while your device calculates how much space all of your apps (including their data) use up. Then decide which ones you could do without and delete them. You can download them back from your purchased list, even if it is a paid app. Delete music the same way. Upload photos to your PC or to Box or Dropbox. Generally, a new operating system will take about 6 gb of storage to install. Or so they say. So for iOS 8, have at least 6 gb available.
Backing up:
It?s always a good idea to keep your iPhone backed up. Frequent backups make it easy to switch to a new device, like the upcoming iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus, and are crucial when dealing with loss, theft, and damage. Apple iOS devices can be backed up to iTunes on your computer by connecting via a cable, or via WiFi if you?ve enabled that in iTunes.
The easiest option is to use iCloud to backup to Apple?s servers. That way, you're also protected against physical damage or theft (of your Mac or PC.) Just make sure you have enough space on iCloud (Apple gives users 5 GB free, but that may not be enough.) To manage iCloud space and backups, run the Settings app, touch iCloud, and scroll down to select Storage & Backup. It wasn't announced, but Apple dropped the pricing of iCloud storage. Along with many others, I think it best to back up to both iTunes and iCloud. Good luck to all with iOS 8 and a new iPhone!

Sent from my ancient but trustworthy iPhone 5

anon(52425)

Mar 1, 2009
Visit site
I have been using iOS 8 since the first beta. Downgraded after the first 2 and then came back once it got more stable. iOS 8 is awesome, it really is and you'll love it! As for the 6+, no not really lol. I have been so used to the 5/5S for so long that going up from that will take a bit of adjusting.

Designed4Him

Nov 4, 2011
Visit site
Thanks. I haven't used iOS since 6. I'm pretty sure it's a different feel on a phone vs and iPad since I don't use my iPad that often anymore.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smitty22d2