I've had my 5 since release day, and I'm READY for the 6. I was just wondering whether people prefer to go through Apple of their carrier (in my case Verizon). I have an upgrade, but I may need to switch it with someone else on my family plan, would apple allow this?

The reason I don't want to trust Verizon, and that my upgrades are messed up is that there was a little issue when the box for my iPhone5 from Verizon came with no phone in it and Verizon refused to send another saying I 'stole' the phone... a few legal battles later, we had the phone and Verizon paid back everything... but regardless, that mix-up messed up my upgrade cycle.

Thoughts?
    09-10-2014 12:01 PM
    I'm curious on this as well. I'm transferring my upgrade to a different phone on my account in order to keep my unlimited data. Because of this, I will pre-order on Verizon's website.
    09-10-2014 12:03 PM
    If you're going to do an "alternate upgrade" you'd be better off going through Verizon...
    09-10-2014 12:13 PM
    So, if I wanted to buy one out right, full retail, would it be better to go to Apple and get one or a Verizon retail store? Never have done this with iPhone. I assume it really doesn't matter, but didn't know if anyone had experience.
    09-10-2014 12:19 PM
    So, if I wanted to buy one out right, full retail, would it be better to go to Apple and get one or a Verizon retail store? Never have done this with iPhone. I assume it really doesn't matter, but didn't know if anyone had experience.
    If you're going to buy outright then it doesn't matter, but I'd go with the Apple Store since they would have more in stock than the non-Apple retail store, in my opinion...
    09-10-2014 12:23 PM
    I'm gonna give verizon a call later today to see if they can figure out my update issue
    09-10-2014 01:06 PM
    How will the preordering work? I plan to just buy it out right so I don't have to mess with transferring upgrades, and I won't lose my unlimited data (Verizon).

Will preordering start at midnight on Apple's site? Should I have multiple computers going in case one locks up while trying to order?
    09-10-2014 05:01 PM
    I have ordered the 5 and 5s on the Verizon website. Everything worked perfectly and I was back in bed at 12:15 AM Pacific. Delivery was on launch day.
    09-11-2014 10:32 AM
    Ordering at 3am EST Friday via Verizon. Woot!
    09-11-2014 10:36 AM
    How will the preordering work? I plan to just buy it out right so I don't have to mess with transferring upgrades, and I won't lose my unlimited data (Verizon).

Will preordering start at midnight on Apple's site? Should I have multiple computers going in case one locks up while trying to order?
    Trying to figure this out as well if can pre order for full retail. Or if have to go to the store.
    09-11-2014 11:12 AM
    Trying to figure this out as well if can pre order for full retail. Or if have to go to the store.
    You should be able to preorder for full retail. Preorder just means the phone is available to order early. It doesn't mean it has to be purchased with an upgrade or through Edge.
    09-11-2014 01:21 PM
    Verizon. I am doing an alternate upgrade (my husband's line has the upgrade but it's "my turn") and I'm not sure if the Apple Store website can handle that.
    09-11-2014 02:08 PM
    I plan on getting the 6 through edge and just canceling the line and make the payments on the phone
    09-11-2014 02:12 PM
    I just noticed on the Verizon website that you can transfer upgrade eligibility right on the website. Just go to "My Device" then "Upgrade" and there's an option to transfer eligibility.
    applefanboi likes this.
    09-11-2014 11:21 PM
    you cannot order full retail thru apple rite? only thru vzw? gotta keep that unlimited data
    09-11-2014 11:44 PM
    If you're going to buy outright then it doesn't matter, but I'd go with the Apple Store since they would have more in stock than the non-Apple retail store, in my opinion...
    I have found the opposite to be true at times especially a week after launch. I the past i remember trying to reserve online for the next day, and for more than a week every Apple store had all the reserves taken within seconds at midnight every day. By contrast my local retail stores had plenty they said. Plus there are like 4 or so apple stores in the area but there are probably 50+ carrier stores, not to mention Best Buys which had some. I had simply assumed the carrier stores had none since the apple stores were out but the carriers got daily shipments too. So i wouldn't be afraid to inquire because they may have some. Maybe not on launch day but possibly soon after.
    09-12-2014 12:46 AM
    Verizon actually did my a solid for once. We have 3 phones and 3 iPads on our family plan. None of the phones had an upgrade available (refer to my OP), but two of the iPads had upgrades. Even though you can't upgrade an iPad to a phone, verizon took our least used iPad and deactivated the number (making it wifi only until I get my new phone), put that number on an old phone we had and upgraded it to the iphone6 space gray 128.

I'll be getting it on the 19th and I got the $10 insurance to make sure nothing like what happened in my OP happens again. Once I get the phone, I can activate it on my number and transfer the number back to the iPad.
    09-12-2014 05:47 PM