Carrier unlocked phones available on 9/19?

wirelessbk

Mar 11, 2013
Visit site
Like many of you, I would like to go down the full retail price route, versus buying through any one carrier.

Will the Apple website allow for a pre-order of an unlocked device on 9/12, will the Apple retail store sell them on 9/19, or will I have to wait some time after launch?

What has happened on previous iPhone launch days?

swarlos

Trusted Member
Jun 24, 2012
Visit site
Like many of you, I would like to go down the full retail price route, versus buying through any one carrier.

Will the Apple website allow for a pre-order of an unlocked device on 9/12, will the Apple retail store sell them on 9/19, or will I have to wait some time after launch?

Typically it's only been phones on contract that are available to preorder but if you go to the Apple Store on launch day and buy a Verizon model full retail it will be unlocked.

Danny Olivo

Dec 17, 2012
Visit site
I would like to preorder a full priced, unlocked phone as well. I've only preordered with an upgrade before, so I'm interested in how this works also. I'm with att

Pete Sake

Dec 22, 2010
Visit site
Now correct me if I'm wrong but the iPhone shouldn't be locked at since the bill was sign to unlock all phones. Im still in the first year of my contract and the deathstar AT&T unlocked my iPhone upon request.

OBF

Jul 8, 2014
Visit site
If you want an unlocked model (GSM unlocked that is) just get the Verizon model on launch day. It's CDMA locked to Verizon only, but it's GSM unlocked for virtually any carrier that uses a SIM.

Sent from my Space Grey iPhone 5s using Tapatalk

anon(52425)

Mar 1, 2009
Visit site

Yes, go to the website and look. You have the option but can't put it in your cart yet.

cjvitek

Jul 5, 2008
Visit site
Not sure about this. I have been reading online that it will be locked to T-mobile, but it can be unlocked at 40 days of service.

anon(52425)

Mar 1, 2009
Visit site
Not sure about this. I have been reading online that it will be locked to T-mobile, but it can be unlocked at 40 days of service.

I have bought 5 5S's this year at full retail from the Apple store (T-Mobile). They were all unlocked and confirmed to be unlocked when asked. I tested each one out with an ATT SIM. The 6th one I bought was from T-Mobile and it too was a full retail. It was locked but when I called they happily unlocked it when they saw I paid full price. I leaned to just go to Apple after that.

ame

Trusted Member
Feb 17, 2011
Visit site
i am going to try to buy it full price on the 19th, because it gives no full price option besides tmo right now. I find it so obnoxious that they only do on-contract offerings for presale.

cjvitek

Jul 5, 2008
Visit site
I have bought 5 5S's this year at full retail from the Apple store (T-Mobile). They were all unlocked and confirmed to be unlocked when asked. I tested each one out with an ATT SIM. The 6th one I bought was from T-Mobile and it too was a full retail. It was locked but when I called they happily unlocked it when they saw I paid full price. I leaned to just go to Apple after that.

Yes, I agree, in the past this was the case. But I have been reading that people asking about the new phone this year have been told it is full price because it is non-contract, but it will be locked to T-Mobile. They have said you can cancel your T-Mobile account after 40 days (i.e., not on a yearly contract).

gurase

Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
Yes, I agree, in the past this was the case. But I have been reading that people asking about the new phone this year have been told it is full price because it is non-contract, but it will be locked to T-Mobile. They have said you can cancel your T-Mobile account after 40 days (i.e., not on a yearly contract).

Every year Apple says the T-Mobile iPhone is locked when it actually isn't.

mtmjr90

Dec 7, 2010
Visit site
Here is my experience:

1. Can you pre-order an unlocked device? No
2. Can you pre-order an AT&T device full retail price? No
3. Can you pre-order the T-Mo device for full retail without T-Mo service? No
4. Will a device purchased at full retail in an Apple Store come unlocked? No
5. Will Apple sell a carrier unlocked model on launch day? No, that will come eventually, but not for a couple months
6. Can you unlock a T-Mo device purchased at full retail at an Apple Store without T-Mo service? No
7. Can you unlock a AT&T device purchased at full retail at an Apple Store without AT&T service? Yes!

Since I'm on Cricket, I can use a locked AT&T device, so ideally I would have been able to pre-order one last night...but alas the US carriers are a disgusting disease infecting the mobile industry, so that's not possible. Shockingly, with the 5S last year, I was able to unlock a device without AT&T service - all I did was call and say I bought it full retail and I needed it unlocked. That's my plan this year too.

(In my experience T-Mobile is really annoying about unlocking devices when you don't have service with them, even if you bought it full retail.)

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tomwex73