So -- I upgraded last year to a 5S with a full subsidy from AT&T. I have a grandfathered unlimited plan, and as I have only one line, it would cost me a ton to give it up. If I want the iphone 6, I assume I have to pay full price to get it either from AT&T or unlocked. Am I correct that if I buy it from AT&T full price, it renews my contract anyway? And it is definitely locked? I am thinking that is true and that I'd be better off buying it unlocked and not extending my contract. My fear is that they would take away my grandfathered plan, either right away or when my contract expires in a year. Has anyone tried this before? Am I misunderstanding anything? I get that I have a year to go on my contract either way; I just in theory would prefer an unlocked phone if it isn't going to cost any more, and I don't see any reason to extend my contract by another year in exchange for nothing from AT&T.
    09-09-2014 03:28 PM
    So -- I upgraded last year to a 5S with a full subsidy from AT&T. I have a grandfathered unlimited plan, and as I have only one line, it would cost me a ton to give it up. If I want the iphone 6, I assume I have to pay full price to get it either from AT&T or unlocked. Am I correct that if I buy it from AT&T full price, it renews my contract anyway? And it is definitely locked? I am thinking that is true and that I'd be better off buying it unlocked and not extending my contract. My fear is that they would take away my grandfathered plan, either right away or when my contract expires in a year. Has anyone tried this before? Am I misunderstanding anything? I get that I have a year to go on my contract either way; I just in theory would prefer an unlocked phone if it isn't going to cost any more, and I don't see any reason to extend my contract by another year in exchange for nothing from AT&T.
    If you buy full price it doesn't renew your contract. Unless at&t changes it's policy you can upgrade and retain your UDP.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    09-09-2014 03:48 PM
    Any phone sold by AT&T will be locked. If you are paying full price buy from Apple directly. Only buy from AT&T if contract stuff is involved. If you go to AT&T now they will try to put you on the NEXT plan and take away your unlimited data. If you buy from Apple all you need to do is put the SIM from your 5S into the 6 and you are good to go.
    09-09-2014 03:57 PM
    but isn't Apple selling the same phone as AT&T on day one? The truly unlocked ones usually come later.
    09-09-2014 04:31 PM
    Will there be an option to preorder an unlocked full price phone ?
    09-09-2014 04:53 PM