iPhone 6 vs 6 plus

tomo63

Sep 17, 2012
Visit site
A cardboard cut out and various tests throughout the day helped make my decision as well. Wanted the 6+ but not practical for how I use my phone. And iPad is usually with me anyway.

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
the iPhone 6 64gb. I'd prefer the iPhone 6 128 gb but i'm on 64 now and I need to do other things with the money and pre announcement i'd already decided I'd drop down to 32gb. But since they are raising the storage I can live with 64gb. I need local storage too because i live near the ocean and many many places you simply can't get 3G signal let alone LTE and thus i can't rely on streaming from my google music account. Also i seem to be in an area where coverage just goes in and out and it's really annoying trying to listen to radio via tunein only to have it constantly buffering, then dropping out, then just your luck when you get a clear signal it's on commercial. Then you go inside a large store and 20 feet deep in the store it drops back out.

I won't touch the 6 plus. I've no interest in a large phone. The Galaxy Note is massive to me. It simply doesn't appeal to me. Honestly i'm on a 4s and it's not too small. I like the easy pocketability and i use it when working out and though heavy i manage. I don't know how it's gonna be with a 4.7 inch screen and damn i'm gonna need a new arm band. Regardless, i know some just want the largest device. Me, I'd prefer the trade off of a more convenient size so I'm going with the regular 6. I'm glad there is a choice though. That way everybody had something that works for them.
I don't mind a small phone either, except my eyes are failing a bit. It's very difficult to read the new style printed text that looks like washed out light grey in color. Sometimes I can't read it at all, even zooming it. I don't "want" a big screen, I "need" one. Pocketability is also an issue. So unless I carry a man bag, it may be the 4.7". I also do a lot of photo work on my phone. The larger screen would be nice for that.

Sent from my ancient but trustworthy iPhone 5

Iamthat_dude

Sep 11, 2014
Visit site
Iphone 6, 64 gigs. I guess I have average sized hands and don't really want/like jumbo sized devices. That part is easy, now to decide between the gray or the silver, that's the hard question. lol

HankAZ

Banned
Jul 26, 2012
Visit site
Iphone 6, 64 gigs. I guess I have average sized hands and don't really want/like jumbo sized devices. That part is easy, now to decide between the gray or the silver, that's the hard question. lol

Space Gray vs Silver is easy. Do you want a white bezel or a black bezel? :)

Duvi

Jun 17, 2008
Visit site
If you're trying to get an idea of the 5.5" 6+, you might want to play with a Note 3 instead. The overall size of the G3 is smaller than the 6+ despite the same 5.5" screen due to much smaller bezel. The 6+ is actually slightly larger than the Note 3/4 despite a 0.2" smaller screen.
View attachment 64392

Thank you for this... now i'm on the fence. I was holding the note 3 yesterday and didn't care for it too much. I have big hands, but I already carry 2-3 phones and having to put that and a galaxy in my pocket... not gonna work out.

I'm still getting both though.

Guacho

Jun 20, 2009
Visit site
That picture with the Note 3 worries me a lot.... I guess I could get use to handling the phone but my biggest concern is when I'm not using it, carrying it, pocket, etc

patton4549

Oct 8, 2011
Visit site
The iPhone 6+'s Ois and battery are tempting but the phone size isn't ideal for me. I have a retina mini and don't need a phone that big. The screen resolution to me is not that big of a deal my 5s screen isn't 720 and it's amazing. I'm going with the iPhone 6 silver 64 gig. I also have a old Motorola Razr HD laying around and the screen size and footprint is almost a perfect match to the iPhone 6, the size I perfect!!!

qbnkelt

Mar 17, 2012
Visit site
I'm hoping you are basing it on more than just the battery, which I imagine you are. Particularly since there's no real world testing to back those numbers presented. The most noticeable battery advantages of the 6+ vs 6 are standby time and talk time. I talk 20 minutes a month and my phone is seldom on standby lol. I'm no longer just handing the battery crown to the 6+.

Not than just the battery but the battery is a large part. IOS is also a big deal. But mainly, getting the 5.5 saves me spending money on the Note 4 which I was planning to get.

I'm on a big phone kind of mood.

ScottsoNJ

Jun 7, 2013
Visit site
For anybody on the fence about which 1 to get here is something to think about. I have an LG G2 which is about as big as I want to go.I got an invitation to get the OnePlus One. For the price and specs it is really a bargain. I got it and really wanted to like it but it is so goddamn big. I used it for like 10 days trying to get used to it but a phone that big is really pushing things. It had way better specs than my LG G2 and was beautifully made but I sold it and went back to my G2. I have been waiting for a bigger iPhone and will be getting the 6 but imho the 6+ will be too big for most people. Just my 2c

BobLobIaw

Sep 9, 2014
Visit site
So I'll go with the iPhone 6. There's no point in ordering the plus because I already know it's too big. One handed use is a must not an option for me.

Serious question: Under what circumstances is one-handed use necessary? It seems to me to be a preference-based requirement, which is fine, but I've yet to figure out a time where I can't easily use two hands. For me, it would just be changing some minor habits. Do you have any more specific perspective to share? Thanks.

projectman

Aug 3, 2012
Visit site
Serious question: Under what circumstances is one-handed use necessary? It seems to me to be a preference-based requirement, which is fine, but I've yet to figure out a time where I can't easily use two hands. For me, it would just be changing some minor habits. Do you have any more specific perspective to share? Thanks.

I agree. I simply cannot get any kind of speed/flow going - even on a text message - doing it one handed. I always go back to 2 hands. I use a company issued device and I am fairly certain the 6+ will not be on the menu when upgrade time comes around next month. I am thinking the 6 will be just right for me. If I need a bigger screen once in a while I have my iPad mini. That being said, both devices look great...even if the bezels are bigger than they could be. I look forward to seeing Apple trim those down in the future.

Designed4Him

Nov 4, 2011
Visit site

I guess if you're just web browsing you don't want to scroll with both hands. I can see where a two handed device can be cumbersome but I hold my paperwhite with one hand and read so I am pretty sure I can browse with one hand.

blasted11

Oct 14, 2011
Visit site
Pockets,Pockets,Pockets. For me this is a big part of my decision. I'm a guy and for most of Spring,all of Summer,and about half of Fall,I do not have a jacket on. And I always,always keep my phones cased.( I have never had a mark or scuff or any wear on them. I sell them on eBay and get top dollar),so these new phones in a case like I currently use on my 5 (which is a battery case) would simply be too big for me to pocket. I currently have a 5 (skipped the 5s this time around) and it is in absolutely mint condition. Not one scratch,nick,blemish,sign of wear,etc...nothing..because of the cases. With a case the 6+ would not fit in my pockets and also be somewhat cumbersome to use. iPhone 6 64gb gray for me. I may wake up at 2:45 am and pre-order using Next,because my upgrade is not until Dec and I have a hard time waiting for technology.

BobLobIaw

Sep 9, 2014
Visit site
The only real example I can think of is that one-handed use is necessary while driving, and we know that isn't the best reason! I am just curious because I've never owned a phone over 4.5" so I have to extrapolate as to whether a big phone would be a real problem due to one-handed limitations. I don't see it, but I'm sure some people have good reasons why one-handed use is so important. Also, I haven't seen much discussion about the double-click to smaller screen to help with one-handed use on the 6 Plus, but I thought that was a pretty clever idea by Apple.

blasted11

Oct 14, 2011
Visit site
The only real example I can think of is that one-handed use is necessary while driving, and we know that isn't the best reason! I am just curious because I've never owned a phone over 4.5" so I have to extrapolate as to whether a big phone would be a real problem due to one-handed limitations. I don't see it, but I'm sure some people have good reasons why one-handed use is so important. Also, I haven't seen much discussion about the double-click to smaller screen to help with one-handed use on the 6 Plus, but I thought that was a pretty clever idea by Apple.

I agree that is pretty cool.

mfm77

Mar 4, 2011
Visit site
Someone brought up a great point in the Plus forum about fitness. I'm a runner and usually take my iPhone 5 with me on my runs for music, mileage tracking, etc. If I get the 6 Plus, I can't imagine using it on my runs. Short of getting the Apple Watch AND the 6 Plus (hey, at least I have lots of credit, right?), I'd probably have to go with the 6.