How are you preparing for the next iPhone?

Frenzytom

Feb 2, 2011
Visit site
Hello all,

For those migrating from another, iPhone, platform, OS, carrier, etc., how are you preparing for the next upgrade?

As a long time iPhone user (my last iPhone was the iPhone 4s so the upgrade will be a generation or two) and then a big Android user and even used Windows phone for a bit, I noticed I have been under the Google umbrella for awhile and switching between them was painless. Now since I plan to move away from this umbrella for the next upgrade, I want to go all iOS and Mac OS X.

I plan to migrate from Gmail to iCloud and making sure my music, photos and videos move to the Apple ecosystem.

How are you all preparing for the big upgrade? Hopefully we can get some good tips and tricks to help people ease into this process.

A few weeks and counting...

zerog46

Oct 3, 2010
Visit site
Gmail to iCloud is easy. Just export everything from gmail to a file then import everything to icloud.com.

As far as music you may have to use iTunes Match for the that if you own the music.

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
Personally, I'm planning on walking in a store, whether it be an Apple Store, local Verizon store, Best Buy, HH Gregg or Walmart, a week or two after launch and buying one. Period...:)

Frenzytom

Feb 2, 2011
Visit site
Yes, I am manually and painstakingly ripping my music with the 3 cd burners running a few hours a day to digitize my large library of music. Too bad iTunes Match doesn't do CD ID matching but such is life. :)

Gmail to iCloud is easy. Just export everything from gmail to a file then import everything to icloud.com.

As far as music you may have to use iTunes Match for the that if you own the music.

finn5975

Banned
Sep 13, 2012
Visit site
Anyone migrate from iPhone to iPhone? Are there any hurdles or tips to consider? Is it all throught iCloud?

Prior to walking into the store to get the 6, I will:
- Run a fresh icloud backup on my 5S
- Do a full backup of my 5S via iTunes on my Mac
- Turn off imessage on my 5S

After walking out of the store with my 6, I will:
- Restore from my previous iCloud backup
- Verify that all of my pictures, apps, settings, etc look as they should
- Make sure that I have enabled siri, find my iphone, keychain, etc
- Make sure that both imessage and normal sms/mms messages are arriving on my 6
- Cradle it lovingly in my arms....j/k.....kinda

Once all looks good, I will restore the 5S to factory settings prior to selling it.

Frenzytom

Feb 2, 2011
Visit site
Great plan! (Except for the cradling, I will be putting mine on a pedestal; if getting the 5.5, it will be the pedestal) :)

Thanks for sharing!

Once all looks good, I will restore the 5S to factory settings prior to selling it.

Flow39

Jun 26, 2014
Visit site
I'm getting my all-nighter face on so I can stay up all night to get the iPhone 6 haha. Oh and taking 2 days off work and 1 day off of school :)

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site

Turn off Find My iPhone somewhere in there before you sell or trade it. If you're keeping it, never mind. :)

Sent from my ancient but trustworthy iPhone 5

qbnkelt

Mar 17, 2012
Visit site
For the phone? No prep needed, that's the beauty of Apple's ecosystem. No pain.

For my bank? Been saving since January!:rotfl:

projectman

Aug 3, 2012
Visit site
Going to back up everything to the iCloud, wait for the IT guy (company phone) to come up to my office, run through his painful new phone set up process and old phone turn-in process. Then I am going to go home and fix what the IT guy messed up.

Flow39

Jun 26, 2014
Visit site
I have been prepping my bank account since May :)

My camping gear needs to get put together though, gotta be staying the night in style :)

Peligro911

Jun 1, 2011
Visit site
Good part of having the trade up program walk in and walk out .. iCloud backs up every night so no biggie on the phone end so really nothing

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Premium1

Trusted Member
Aug 17, 2011
Visit site
Personally, I'm planning on walking in a store, whether it be an Apple Store, local Verizon store, Best Buy, HH Gregg or Walmart, a week or two after launch and buying one. Period...:)

I am doing the same. Then plugging into my computer and transferring over everything from my old device.

Flow39

Jun 26, 2014
Visit site
Good part of having the trade up program walk in and walk out .. iCloud backs up every night so no biggie on the phone end so really nothing

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I know, I love that! Just restore everything onto your new iPhone and you're good to go :)

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gokox