should I get and iPhone 6 4.7? or an Android?

CDG

Feb 10, 2013
Visit site
Yes you points are dead on, however this is the post that I was challenging:

What is goofy about android is that one can not update to the newer versions like can be done on Apple devices.

Sent from my iPad 4 128GB

When I asked what they meant, the reply was because the poster didn't know anyone who had updated (or something similar)

To me that post is totally incorrect.

PS: I am a moderator at another wireless forum and if you can see my signature, I am also an OS junkie and so it bothers me to see facts misrepresented on a reputable forum and others adding fuel to it. Sorry its my mod instinct that wants to see facts like you presented and not hearsay :)

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

Squeeze Play

Oct 10, 2011
Visit site
Yes you points are dead on, however this is the post that I was challenging:

When I asked what they meant, the reply was because the poster didn't know anyone who had updated (or something similar)

To me that post is totally incorrect.

PS: I am a moderator at another wireless forum and if you can see my signature, I am also an OS junkie and so it bothers me to see facts misrepresented on a reputable forum and others adding fuel to it. Sorry its my mod instinct that wants to see facts like you presented and not hearsay :)

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

I'm also a mod on a wireless forum and have experienced delays in Android updates on Android phones I have used. For instance, I waited for months for the latest update for my HTC One (M7) on AT&T and finally sold the phone with no update. A lot of it is carrier- and manufacturer-based. I don't want to have to wait for Samsung or HTC to put their overlays on the software and I don't want to wait for the carrier to give its seal of approval.

Flow39

Jun 26, 2014
Visit site
I'm also a mod on a wireless forum and have experienced delays in Android updates on Android phones I have used. For instance, I waited for months for the latest update for my HTC One (M7) on AT&T and finally sold the phone with no update. A lot of it is carrier- and manufacturer-based. I don't want to have to wait for Samsung or HTC to put their overlays on the software and I don't want to wait for the carrier to give its seal of approval.

This is a big reason why I'm hesitant about switching to any Android devices except a Nexus/Moto X. Updates aren't decided by Google, they are decided by carriers and manufacturers. Sure, some phones may be getting updates now, but they aren't on the latest version of Android.

AB Lambert

Aug 20, 2014
Visit site

I have to agree with you on that.

A.B.

CDG

Feb 10, 2013
Visit site
Ok I am going to give this one more try to get my point across, then I quit trying to explain.

All of you are posting reality and I agree but my problem was the initial post that claimed that Androids cannot get updated to a newer OS.

Please please please take a look at post no 82 where I quoted the post that bothered me.

To say Androids cannot be upgraded to a newer OS is flat out wrong.

If you guys still don't see my point I give up! :(

Sent from my iPad Air using Tapatalk

Speedygi

Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
Ok I am going to give this one more try to get my point across, then I quit trying to explain.

All of you are posting reality and I agree but my problem was the initial post that claimed that Androids cannot get updated to a newer OS.

Please please please take a look at post no 82 where I quoted the post that bothered me.

What they are trying to say is Fragmentation, in which non-Nexus devices get their updates slower because the respective manufacturers need to do their own versions of the OS. That is normal in Android though :)

PeltFrelken

Dec 5, 2013
Visit site
I have a Moto X right now. There are a lot of things I like about Android. But I will be ditching this phone for the iPhone 6. Two gripes I had about the iPhone will soon be non-factors, (1) I found the iPhone screen too small, and (2) I much preferred using Swiftkey on Android and was always baffled by how bad the iOS keyboard has been.
The two new iPhone screens will both be bigger, and iOS 8 is going to have a better built-in keyboard, and also third-party keyboards.

So, that's that.
You should go to a store and kick the tires. Let us know what you come up with.

Designed4Him

Nov 4, 2011
Visit site
I have a Samsung S4 that I just purchased last year and I am switching back to iPhone. I had the S1 and had a lot of problems with my device but when the S4 came out I thought things would be more improved I did miss little things about my Android when I made the switch; customization mainly but I also thought a bigger screen would be nice. Now here I am with the same issues I had with my S1. The device is buggy, I am constantly pulling my battery out, and it doesn't work all of the time. I had a 4S and kept that phone for almost two years (the longest I kept a phone) and now I am having iPhone withdraws because all I want is a phone that works.

I like the fact that iPhones get the updates when the updates are released and they only release 1 new phone a year. Android are constantly coming out with devices that make the current phone that I have feel old. I miss the ease of use and the simplicity. I really do believe that it's a personal choice and what you will be using your device for but from someone that had both devices iPhone was clearly a better device for me.

anon(27512)

Apr 26, 2010
Visit site
If I could only have one smartphone, It would be the iPhone. I have a Galaxy S5 but I'm too paranoid to bank on it or do other things on it that involve 'sensitive' data. I also like that iOS usually gets new apps first. Another thing I like about iOS is that the apps are better quality. Even from big companies like Evernote, Uber, Foursquare, Instagram, etc, the iOS versions of their apps are always better and more up to date. That being said, Android allows for cool goodies like my Google Glass and Android Wear devices to not be so restricted. Good luck with whatever you pick, and welcome to iMore!

qbnkelt

Mar 17, 2012
Visit site

Just adding my experience here...my SGIII, which is a three year old phone, got KitKat through AT&T.

JulesJam

Banned
Sep 2, 2014
Visit site
I am trying to decide if I should get and iPhone 6 4.7” or an Android?
I have an android Moto X developer edition and my family members all have iPhones. I also have owned both a Samsung Galaxy Nexus and a Galaxy Note 3. I am very familiar with iPhones as I help my elderly parents use them as well as their iPads.

I think the iPhones are great devices - solid build, great engineering/software, lots of cool accessories available - but I like to customize my device and be in control of every aspect of the device so I choose androids that can be unlocked and rooted.

My Moto X is a developer edition with an unlocked bootloader and rooted. I love everything about it except for the camera, which sucks. I would however like a larger screen. The new Moto X, referred to as the Moto X+1, will have a larger screen, I think 5.2" or so, but the size of the phone won't be increased much due to the smaller bezel. The camera is supposedly vastly improved, too. The Moto X+1 should be out sometime in September - we will know for sure on Thursday

The Moto X has a curved back which feels great in the hand. It runs stock android with only a few improvements, all of which really enhance the user experience - active notifications, always listening, motorola assist and touchless controls. Unlike many androids with OEM skins on them, there is no lag with the Moto X and since mine is unlocked and rooted, I debloat it further by removing all the bloatware that verizon requires that the manufacturers put on the phone.

The motorola radios are the best - they hold a signal even where it is weak. Battery life is great, too.

If you do get an android, I would not get a samsung device. Samsung radios are crap and I would consistently drop calls or drop down to 3G where my parents' iPhones would not when I had both my Galaxy Nexus and my Galaxy Note 3. I will never own another Samsung device, or at least not until they figure out a way to make a better radio. The problem with the Samsungs could be the antennae design, too, idk, but if you search around I think you will find that my experience with Samsung devices is fairly common.

And I absolutely HATE touchwiz. Since Samsung has enhanced security known as Knox that is very secure, I don't think you can even unlock and root the ATT or Verizon GS5 yet and maybe never will be able to so you would be stuck with touchwiz, which is an AWFUL skin.

Of the android devices out now, the HTC M8 is the most like an iPhone but it's camera has some issues from what I have read. The LG G3 gets great reviews, too.

Around Halloween the Nexus X, also a Motorola device, will be released, but it is a phablet at 5'9" screen size. For sure the Nexus X will work on the GSM carriers, but Sprint and Verizon may be getting this device, too.

One other HUGE warning - android bluetooth connectivity to cars can be an issue. I simply cannot get my Moto X to pair with my mother's lexus. It is an older lexus, I think a 2007 or so. Her iPhone 5 pairs fine with it. I have read on other forums where people had problems pairing the G3 with mercedes. I think the car manufacturers are more likely to perfect their bluetooth pairing using the iPhone, but I also know that android has had bluetooth bugs from the beginning that are slowly being worked out.

After scanning this thread and reading your responses, you seem predisposed to get an iPhone 6 and I would say get it. If you don't, you will always wonder. I would imagine your work phone can't be unlocked and rooted so that isn't a benefit for you anyhow. And if you aren't going to at least root your android, now that Google apps are available for iPhones, I would stick with an iPhone unless you want a phablet or otherwise need a bigger screen because if you aren't going to root an android, I don't see the point of having one.

Last edited:

the1m.polo

Sep 24, 2013
Visit site
Um ur forgetting the best running Android hands down... The HTC M8

The htc M8 is the best Android experience period... Check any Android site or YouTube review and you will quickly see most feel the same way

Posted via the iMore App for Android

the1m.polo

Sep 24, 2013
Visit site
So much mis information going on here, it is unbelievable for a great forum like this.

It is absolutely not true that Android devices cannot get updated to newer version.

What Apple does have is complete and sole control over the devices and so the updates come when Apple decides to do so.

With the Android, the manufacture and the provider have control or at least some say in when the updates come out to what devices, this results in delays.

If one buys an high end Android device today, if there are updates it is guaranteed to get them.

The Samsung S4 is over a year old and it is getting all the updates and they are the ones notorious for dragging their feet with updates.

Hope this will clarify some of the misconception. :)

Sent from my iPhone 5s using Tapatalk

Your so right HTC has made a huge commitment to keep their flagship up to date.

Flow39

Jun 26, 2014
Visit site
Um ur forgetting the best running Android hands down... The HTC M8

The htc M8 is the best Android experience period... Check any Android site or YouTube review and you will quickly see most feel the same way

I like the M8, but it falls short on a couple things to me. A big one is the small details aren't considered. When you click the recent apps button, it takes you to the recent apps screen but the status bar takes a full second to disappear. Another detail that isn't considered are app transitions. They don't fly in or zoom in or out or anything. That isn't necessary a deal breaker, but I like when the small things are considered. It makes the user experience better :)

Squeeze Play

Oct 10, 2011
Visit site
I like the M8, but it falls short on a couple things to me. A big one is the small details aren't considered. When you click the recent apps button, it takes you to the recent apps screen but the status bar takes a full second to disappear. Another detail that isn't considered are app transitions. They don't fly in or zoom in or out or anything. That isn't necessary a deal breaker, but I like when the small things are considered. It makes the user experience better :)

With my old HTC One M7, I went into developer options and completely disabled animations. I hate animations. Just open the damned apps and let me start doing things. I use HiddenSettings7 on my jailbroken 5s to accomplish the same thing. This is my preference, anyway.

the1m.polo

Sep 24, 2013
Visit site
With my old HTC One M7, I went into developer options and completely disabled animations. I hate animations. Just open the damned apps and let me start doing things. I use HiddenSettings7 on my jailbroken 5s to accomplish the same thing. This is my preference, anyway.

The status bar issue idk what to say.. Lmao it looks like a transition to me... But speaking on transitions... I'd rather them be quick to none compared to the corney sloppy ones on Samsung.... I HATE em!!.
Android as a whole will be getting apple like transitions on the next version Android L... Much like Apple added some Android like features... Its crazy how the lines between the 2 are getting so blurred.

The HTC one series is touted top 3 smartphones on most tech sites because of its attention to the details man... U just happened to not like HTC's straight forward approach. But lets be clear only one company in my opinion has nailed transitions and thats Apple.. No Android OEM comes close and to me HTC's M7 and M8 is the best at a clean experience right there with iPhone. You are the only person i have ever heard say HTC's m8 is not a great user experience... But its ur opinion...

the1m.polo

Sep 24, 2013
Visit site
I have a Samsung S4 that I just purchased last year and I am switching back to iPhone. I had the S1 and had a lot of problems with my device but when the S4 came out I thought things would be more improved I did miss little things about my Android when I made the switch; customization mainly but I also thought a bigger screen would be nice. Now here I am with the same issues I had with my S1. The device is buggy, I am constantly pulling my battery out, and it doesn't work all of the time. I had a 4S and kept that phone for almost two years (the longest I kept a phone) and now I am having iPhone withdraws because all I want is a phone that works.

I like the fact that iPhones get the updates when the updates are released and they only release 1 new phone a year. Android are constantly coming out with devices that make the current phone that I have feel old. I miss the ease of use and the simplicity. I really do believe that it's a personal choice and what you will be using your device for but from someone that had both devices iPhone was clearly a better device for me.

Honestly my advice is... Stop buying Samsung Android phones... Try a Nexus, HTC, Hell even LG... But although Samsung sells the most it's in my opinion the worst experience on android unless its a Note device..