Basically what the title states. If the next iphone comes once again with Gorilla glass vs Sapphire crystal, do you care? For those who follow the rumor mill closely, are you upset at the prospect that a feature that was once deemed as a 'given' is now being touted as 'unlikely'? For me personally, I only care from the standpoint that I thought this might finally alleviate my need for a screen protector. Aside from that, I don't much care.
    07-30-2014 10:44 AM
    I don't care. I'm used to screen protectors so I'd get one ANYWAY either way.
    Highrisedrifter likes this.
    07-30-2014 11:24 AM
    There are way more important hardware upgrades I'd care about before even beginning to think of "Sapphire" displays. It's a good material with a 'gorgeous' name.. Meaning it will be easy for Apple to market the hell out of it. But really, it wouldn't improve my life experience one bit.

Posted via iMore App
    Squeeze Play likes this.
    07-30-2014 11:37 AM
    It wouldn't matter to me at all. I think Gorilla Glass is more than adequate with no screen protector applied
    07-30-2014 12:19 PM
    There are way more important hardware upgrades I'd care about before even beginning to think of "Sapphire" displays. It's a good material with a 'gorgeous' name.. Meaning it will be easy for Apple to market the hell out of it. But really, it wouldn't improve my life experience one bit.

Posted via iMore App
    I agree. I've owned iPhones since 2007 and have never scratched a screen. Of course, now I've jinxed it.
    agp101 likes this.
    07-30-2014 12:21 PM
    It wouldn't matter to me at all. I think Gorilla Glass is more than adequate with no screen protector applied
    Agreed. I've never had scratches that I noticed and don't use screen protectors.
    kataran likes this.
    07-30-2014 01:13 PM
    It wouldn't matter to me. I've never had a screen scratched and I don't use screen protectors.
    kataran and acerace113 like this.
    07-30-2014 01:30 PM
    What I've actually heard is that not the screen, but the glass over the touch ID home button will be made of sapphire. If anything this makes sense, because I'm not even sure it's possible to produce tens of millions of phones with sapphire displays. That's a lot of surface area already, and then multiple it by a factor representing the bump in screen size of the iPhone 6 and that's a whole lot more surface area. Is there even enough sapphire available for this sort of production? That's assuming Apple can even turn a profit from these devices if this was the case.

Here's the source I got my info from, and it makes a LOT of sense to me. Of course we don't know what's true or what's not, but this is certainly plausible.

iPhone 6 Sapphire: Explained!:

Posted via iMore App
    07-30-2014 02:26 PM
    What I've actually heard is that not the screen, but the glass over the touch ID home button will be made of sapphire. If anything this makes sense, because I'm not even sure it's possible to produce tens of millions of phones with sapphire displays. That's a lot of surface area already, and then multiple it by a factor representing the bump in screen size of the iPhone 6 and that's a whole lot more surface area. Is there even enough sapphire available for this sort of production? That's assuming Apple can even turn a profit from these devices if this was the case.

Here's the source I got my info from, and it makes a LOT of sense to me. Of course we don't know what's true or what's not, but this is certainly plausible.

iPhone 6 Sapphire: Explained!:

Posted via iMore App
    This is already the case with the iPhone 5S. The home button and the glass over the camera are both made from laser-cut sapphire crystal so production needs and profit shoud not be any issue come the iphone 6 in this regard.
    agp101 likes this.
    07-30-2014 02:32 PM
    It wouldn't bother me, Don't use screen protectors and haven't had any issues.
    07-30-2014 02:41 PM
    It wouldn't bother me, Don't use screen protectors and haven't had any issues.
    Also never had any issues. Then again, I don't think I'll be getting the 6.
    07-30-2014 02:42 PM
    It doesn't matter to me either way. I have never used screen protectors, and the glass on my 5C is still fine.
    07-30-2014 04:31 PM
    This is already the case with the iPhone 5S. The home button and the glass over the camera are both made from laser-cut sapphire crystal so production needs and profit shoud not be any issue come the iphone 6 in this regard.
    Yeah you're right I forgot that detail in the video. Watched it a couple weeks ago.

Posted via iMore App
    07-30-2014 05:55 PM
    I almost never dropped my phone, and I have never had a cracked screen. But I have seen scratches on gorilla glass too, mostly from sand in pockets when users put their phone in. So I get a screen protector for all my devices. To me if spending less than $10 on a good quality glass screen protector could save me the potential heartache, why not.

So it wouldn't matter too much to me if it's gorilla glass or sapphire glass.
    07-30-2014 06:03 PM
    Won't bother me! I would like a sapphire screen, but it's not a deal breaker if it doesn't have one.
    07-30-2014 11:46 PM
    Not an issue for me either. Gorilla Glass + Screen Protector has worked well over the years.
    07-31-2014 12:09 AM
    Not a deal breaker but it would be sweet
    07-31-2014 01:18 AM
    It does not bother me but if it does have a sapphire display, it will be sweet.
    07-31-2014 03:26 AM
    I will buy 6 with any display and just wait for 6s with 5.5 display and the S witch stands for sapphire. I would buy iPhones no matter what.

Sent from my iPhone using iMore Forums
    07-31-2014 03:38 AM
    A Sapphire screen would be NICE, but if not thats okay. I will be using a GLASS screen protector anyway.
    07-31-2014 10:49 AM
    I wouldn't care one bit about it not being made of sapphire as long as the device is well-built, professional-looking and simply works as well as its predecessors...
    HAWK likes this.
    07-31-2014 11:27 AM
    When the six comes half the people will hate it and half the people will like it, and in the end everyone will own one lol
    Ledsteplin likes this.
    07-31-2014 01:44 PM
    I'll have an Otterbox built in on mine. So I'll live without it.
    07-31-2014 01:50 PM
    I don't care. I'm used to screen protectors so I'd get one ANYWAY either way.
    This. A thousand times this.
    07-31-2014 02:54 PM
    Doesn't matter to me. I'm fine with the screen as is. As someone else mentioned, there are other things that are more important like getting the feel right on a larger iPhone. If they get the phone body right I won't be dropping it in the first place. I very rarely drop my iPhone. I also use a glass protector as well that doesn't change my experience at all.

Sent from my iPhone using iMore Forums
    Premium1 likes this.
    07-31-2014 04:02 PM
27 12