All the mock ups I've seen show the iPhone 6 having one speaker like the iPhone 5c and 5th generation iPod Touch. If this is the case with the next iPhone, iPad, iPod, and Mac devices, then I'll be keeping my iPhone 5s and iPad Air for some time. I'm planning on getting the just refreshed 15" MBPr soon, which has dual speakers like the 5s and iPad Air.

This is an important feature for me. I am hoping for Apple to put in Beats Audio speakers to the next iPhone and their future products, but that might not happen for some time!

Sent from my Space Grey iPhone 5s 64 GB or Space Grey iPad Air 128 GB WiFi + Cellular. Both devices using VZW 4G LTE and running iOS 7.1 .
    07-29-2014 02:46 PM
    Correct me if I'm wrong, but I do believe the iPhone 5S also only has one speaker...? Are you talking about something else?

Sent from my iPhone using iMore Forums
    Just_Me_D likes this.
    07-29-2014 03:13 PM
    Correct me if I'm wrong, but I do believe the iPhone 5S also only has one speaker...? Are you talking about something else?

What I meant was two speaker grilles, one on either side between the lighting connector end. It is important to me. I don't think it's truly dual speaker technology, like on the 15" MBPr, but it still is two grilles. That's why if/when I get the new 15" MBPr and keep my current 5s and iPad Air, my whole Apple lineup will have dual grilles on the speakers.

Sent from my Space Grey iPhone 5s 64 GB or Space Grey iPad Air 128 GB WiFi + Cellular. Both devices using VZW 4G LTE and running iOS 7.1 .
    07-29-2014 03:35 PM
    What I meant was two speaker grilles, one on either side between the lighting connector end. It is important to me. I don't think it's truly dual speaker technology, like on the 15" MBPr, but it still is two grilles. That's why if/when I get the new 15" MBPr and keep my current 5s and iPad Air, my whole Apple lineup will have dual grilles on the speakers.

Those are not two speakers. The grill on the left is a microphone, and the right is the speaker. No iPhone has "dual speakers".

TurboTiger likes this.
    07-29-2014 03:40 PM
    Those are not two speakers. The grill on the left is a microphone, and the right is the speaker. No iPhone has "dual speakers".

Wow. I did not know that! Looking at the speaker now on my iPhone 5s, the end with the microphone has fewer perforation dots than the speaker. I'm guessing this is the same for the 15" MBPr and iPad Air? Although for the iPad Air has dual mics on the top and the 15" MBPr has dual mics underneath the left speaker.

07-29-2014 03:45 PM
    Wow. I did not know that! Looking at the speaker now on my iPhone 5s, the end with the microphone has fewer perforation dots than the speaker. I'm guessing this is the same for the 15" MBPr and iPad Air? Although for the iPad Air has dual mics on the top and the 15" MBPr has dual mics underneath the left speaker.

Yes lol, it has always been this way. Try playing some music, and put your finger over the right grille, you will hear only muffled sound, because that is the only source of sound other than the earpiece

07-29-2014 03:48 PM
    Yes lol, it has always been this way. Try playing some music, and put your finger over the right grille, you will hear only muffled sound, because that is the only source of sound other than the earpiece

Thanks! I'll try that out. I noticed a few months ago that when I covered the speaker on my iPhone and iPad that the sound was muffled from the side but sounded like it was in the center. I think this was improved over the previous iPad 4, but I'm not sure.

07-29-2014 03:51 PM