I currently have an iPhone 5S (16 gb, AT&T), and I won't lie, I always need the newest thing. I got this phone in January of this year, and would sort of like to get the iPhone 6 when it comes out. If I decide to, yes, I will be one of THOSE people that wait outside a store on launch day. But I'm just not sure it's worth the contract trouble, as well as the possibility of a full retail purchase. There's nothing wrong with my 5S.. There's some scratching on the top of the front part of the screen near the ear piece, and a few nicks around the edges, but that's all covered by my new LifeProof which works great. If I sold this phone (+ the Lifeproof) I could get somewhere around $500, meaning I'd only pay about $150 out of pocket on launch.

It isn't even announced yet, so I know there isn't much to go off of, but what do you guys think? What do you do?

I've never fully ridden out a 2 year contract before, as I always have the 's' of the iPhone. (The 3GS, 4S, 5S). But the idea interests me. Please, let me know what your guys' opinions are, as well as what you'll be doing.

Thanks!
    -Andrew
    07-23-2014 01:21 AM
    What is this contract thing you speak of? I always sell my phone which usually covers most of the cost of the new phone. Doing this means I end up getting a new phone and paying just as much if not less out of pocket then a subsided price with a 2 year contract.

Sent from my Death Note
    qbnkelt, ajl and EmceeGeek like this.
    07-23-2014 01:37 AM
    Really can't say, till I see whats coming out, and even then if I do it won't be for month or 2 after launch. I like to check out the reviews before running out.
    Either way my 5s is an awesome phone, so if I decide to wait, Im still good.
    ajl likes this.
    07-23-2014 01:49 AM
    If I just got the 5s withn the last year, I wouldn't bother upgrading unless an amazing new feature that you can't live without is announced.
    CDG and ajl like this.
    07-23-2014 02:00 AM
    I just got my 5s a few months ago and it's great. I have no intention of getting an iPhone 6 at this time. Since you say you like to have the latest device, I would sell the 5s and use the money toward the iPhone 6. Good luck.
    Flow39, CDG, ajl and 1 others like this.
    07-23-2014 02:05 AM
    Really can't say, till I see whats coming out, and even then if I do it won't be for month or 2 after launch. I like to check out the reviews before running out.
    Either way my 5s is an awesome phone, so if I decide to wait, Im still good.
    Do you go without a phone for a day or so? Or do you just front yourself the money to buy the new phone, them sell the old one?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    07-23-2014 02:07 AM
    Do you go without a phone for a day or so? Or do you just front yourself the money to buy the new phone, them sell the old one?

If I do go for the 6, this year I will be up for an upgrade.But I have paid full and sold or traded phone.
    pr1nce likes this.
    07-23-2014 02:13 AM

I usually just pay for the device in full, and then sell the older phone after. You still end up with a majority of your money.
    pr1nce likes this.
    07-23-2014 02:16 AM
    I get every new iphone on the day of launch. For me, the decision is not based on the remaining capabilities of my current device. Heck, I could arguably still rock the iphone 4 tucked away in my desk drawer without issue. My phone is my one treasured tangible item. It is the one thing that is with me more than my wallet. Therefore, I want the newest version the moment I can get it so that I can take advantage of whatever enhancements that come with it. I usually have an upgrade eligible, and I am selling a year-old mint condition phone each year, so if anything I end up making money by upgrading. It's a simple decision for me.
    ajl and pr1nce like this.
    07-23-2014 07:39 AM
    Interesting.. I wonder how much I could get away with paying for it, as my contract isn't up for about another year.. And I have no intentions of signing up for AT&T Next.

07-23-2014 02:15 PM
    I typically get a new phone ever 8-14months since I get bored and I also like to try different things, currently on a Nexus 5 and I'm almost certain I will pick up a iPhone 6 at launch.
    07-23-2014 03:30 PM
    I haven't decided what I'm going to do yet. Part of me wants to keep my current setup, which is the 5s and iPad Air and change my data plan to 10 GB a month, but part of me wants to get the 6.

September will be here before you know it. The rumors and leaks start pouring out in August and by September, the market will be busy.

Here's the schedule of what will most likely happen:

early September: Samsung Galaxy Note 4 (two models) unveiled at IFA 2014 in Berlin

Mid to late September: iPhone 6 (4.7" and maybe 5.5") unveiled along with iOS 8.

Mid-late October: iWatch, iPad Air 2, iPad Mini 3, MacBook Air Retina, MacBook Pro Retina unveiled

I'd suggest that you wait until the 6 comes out. Do your research (I watch YouTube reviews, read reviews online, and go to the Apple Store to test the device in person). After that you can decide what you'd like to do.

Sent from my Space Grey iPhone 5s 64 GB or Space Grey iPad Air 128 GB WiFi + Cellular. Both devices using VZW 4G LTE and running iOS 7.1 .
    ajl likes this.
    07-23-2014 04:24 PM
    Well I'm not good for this thread....I'd tell you to get it. Heck I'm getting it. So....I'm an enabler....
    jburke82, Flow39 and ajl like this.
    07-23-2014 06:01 PM
    I've decided to wait for the 6s (?) next year and get the iPad Air 2 this year.

Sent from my iPhone 5S using iMore Forums
    07-23-2014 09:09 PM
    To be honest, as much as I would like to get the new iPhone 6, I really can't justify getting a new phone because my 5S is everything I want. I'm really not one of those who needs a bigger screen either. I usually can adjust to the size of any device that I'm using at the time. Plus, having the iPhone/iPad combo really cancels the need for the bigger screen on a smartphone. I am actually excited about keeping my 5S for a while.

Sent from my iPad Air. Simply better than the rest.
    anon4757448, ajl and pr1nce like this.
    07-23-2014 09:14 PM
    I guess I'm just not too sure yet! Of course, the next iPhone will be a nice upgrade. (4,5,6). I don't really mind the screen size, and I can't think of anything else it'll offer if I have iOS 8. But still, according to my eligibility, I can get a new iPhone (5S currently), for $450 straight from Apple. I can sell my phone for anywhere around $400-450, plus a Lifeproof with it, so I'm looking at around $500-550. So if anything I'd make money so it seems. I guess there's not really any reason to pass up the 6.

07-23-2014 10:21 PM
    I think I'll wait to see what the reviews say.
    07-23-2014 10:21 PM
    I think I'll wait to see what the reviews say.
    Part of me says that it would be smart to do that, but the other part of me says that it's a lot of fun to be an early adopter of the latest model
    ajl likes this.
    07-24-2014 01:06 AM
    Just stick to your iPhone 5s. It's a great device.. Instead, I would suggest you to go for iWatch(incase it comes out).

I am currently on iPhone 5 which I bought in March 2013 and will be using until fall of next year i.e., when 6s would be out!
    billyboydoy likes this.
    07-24-2014 05:13 AM
    Just stick to your iPhone 5s. It's a great device.. Instead, I would suggest you to go for iWatch(incase it comes out).

I am currently on iPhone 5 which I bought in March 2013 and will be using until fall of next year i.e., when 6s would be out!
    That is a very wise idea, thank you for your insight!

07-24-2014 05:41 AM
    I have my iphone 5 at this moment and in term of reading my email , sync my calendar , do some games , make calls and text massages , post some on twitt / Fb / g + / I'more and e.t.c ... I am perfectly satisfied for the main time.

But ,

As far as I am a fan and lover of apple products then I am sure by February 2015 after seeing the 6 in action for couple of months already than I am 100% sure that the 6 is my next upgrade without any doubt.

Sent from my iPhone using iMore Forums
    agarwal.apar likes this.
    07-24-2014 06:13 AM
    I've bought every iPhone release, this one is no exception. Can't wait!
    agarwal.apar likes this.
    07-24-2014 10:04 AM
    I've bought every iPhone release, this one is no exception. Can't wait!
    I can't wait either! All this rumor watching is making me extremely excited!
    07-24-2014 11:22 AM
    I'm just curious...

Is it a typical US contract thing, that you pay a fee once in a while when a new phone comes out and you can get it even if your contract isn't due to be done at that time or do you guys simple have "a few other contracts" on hand, so that every once in a while one of them is nearly done and ready for contract extension?

Like I said, I'm just curious. I'm used to be stuck with a two year contract and only "getting a new phone" during contract extension. Of course I can still just buy an unlocked one from Apple / Amazon. Dosen't make such a difference anyway.
    07-24-2014 02:19 PM
    I'm just curious...

Is it a typical US contract thing, that you pay a fee once in a while when a new phone comes out and you can get it even if your contract isn't due to be done at that time or do you guys simple have "a few other contracts" on hand, so that every once in a while one of them is nearly done and ready for contract extension?

Like I said, I'm just curious. I'm used to be stuck with a two year contract and only "getting a new phone" during contract extension. Of course I can still just buy an unlocked one from Apple / Amazon. Dosen't make such a difference anyway.
    A contract typically lasts about 18 months. If you would like to leave your contract, for a different carrier, or you'd like a new phone before this time is up, you'll need to pay something called an Early Termination Fee (ETF), along with a new phones price. The ETF depends on how long you have served your current contract. For instance, AT&T's terms state, it is $325, minus $10 for every full month you serve out your contract. So, if you got the iPhone 5S on launch (Mid September) and wanted to get the 6 when it came out, that would be $325 - $120 (12 months, $10 a month), and then plus the original $200 for a new phone. Your grand total would come out to around $405 (plus tax and an activation feel depending where you reside). In theory you could do this every 12 months to ensure you can always have the coolest and most up to date phone available.

Hope that helped at least a little bit.

Tilman Mueller likes this.
    07-24-2014 03:18 PM
30 12