Would a 'premium' 5.5" version sway your decision at launch?

AndyM72

Jan 20, 2014
Visit site
Neither. 4.3 inch 16:9 or 4.5 inch 3:2 is the sweet spot for me when it comes to screen size on a *phone*. If I'm doing anything that would benefit from a larger screen than that I'll use a tablet.

tharley46

Aug 22, 2012
Visit site
No I would not. If I wanted a phone that big, I'd use my iPad. It's already paid for.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

finn5975

Banned
Sep 13, 2012
Visit site
Because even the mini is anywhere close to even this large iPhone. That "use an iPad argument" is so old and pointless.

This is not directed at Tharley46 at all, but back when larger iPhones were first speculated late last year, those opposed to larger iPhones would always quip "why don't they just make it so you can talk on the iPad mini" and it would drive me nuts. If a person doesn't like the thought of an iPhone beyond the current 4" inch screen that is cool, I respect that. But to ever insinuate that even the largest of proposed iPhones would come close to resembling a tablet is absurd. I can fit the Note 3 in my pockets, no problem. Now, do I know that it is there as opposed to forgetting my 5S is in my pocket? Yes. But does it fit? Absolutely.

Premium1

Trusted Member
Aug 17, 2011
Visit site
This is not directed at Tharley46 at all, but back when larger iPhones were first speculated late last year, those opposed to larger iPhones would always quip "why don't they just make it so you can talk on the iPad mini" and it would drive me nuts. If a person doesn't like the thought of an iPhone beyond the current 4" inch screen that is cool, I respect that. But to ever insinuate that even the largest of proposed iPhones would come close to resembling a tablet is absurd. I can fit the Note 3 in my pockets, no problem. Now, do I know that it is there as opposed to forgetting my 5S is in my pocket? Yes. But does it fit? Absolutely.

Agree. It is hilarious how die hard some apple fans are clinging to their small screened devices and like to use the "get an iPad argument" for those who want something larger. They are just grasping at straws. What they fail to realize is that a 5.5" device is still tiny compared to even the iPad mini. But that logic must slip past them or they just do not want to admit it.

BreakingKayfabe

Sep 12, 2008
Visit site
Agree. It is hilarious how die hard some apple fans are clinging to their small screened devices and like to use the "get an iPad argument" for those who want something larger. They are just grasping at straws. What they fail to realize is that a 5.5" device is still tiny compared to even the iPad mini. But that logic must slip past them or they just do not want to admit it.

Even funnier is they forget that we make calls on the damn phone. I'd rather put a 5.5" phone to my ear than worrying about having a damn earphone set all the time to be on a phone call. I want a 5.5" phone and I've had an iPad forever yet I still want the damn bigger phone. When people start complaining that they want a smaller phone I'm going to tell them to find a 5S or 5C on eBay or something.

Premium1

Trusted Member
Aug 17, 2011
Visit site
Even funnier is they forget that we make calls on the damn phone. I'd rather put a 5.5" phone to my ear than worrying about having a damn earphone set all the time to be on a phone call. I want a 5.5" phone and I've had an iPad forever yet I still want the damn bigger phone. When people start complaining that they want a smaller phone I'm going to tell them to find a 5S or 5C on eBay or something.

Exactly. The 5s is still a solid option for those who want a smaller device.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MDMcAtee

Jun 2, 2014
Visit site
I can only hope the 5.5" comes with 128gig option...that's what I will stand in line for. I too am a big screen fanatic.....with my 1520 now and my note 2 prior..If they don't offer it before April 1 2015..then it will be the 4.7" one...either way I'll have one...I'm done with WP and it's lame music and video player..and hate dealing with e-fuses and Knox crap.besides...with Yosemite coming for my new 27" iMac soon...it only makes sense...
Sent from my RM-940_nam_att_200 using Tapatalk

swarlos

Trusted Member
Jun 24, 2012
Visit site
4.7" is the sweet spot for me even if for some reason it doesn't get OIS or the 128GB options I'll be fine. 5.5" is just too big for my tastes.

Carried by a raven from the Wall.

Flow39

Jun 26, 2014
Visit site
4.7" is the sweet spot for me even if for some reason it doesn't get OIS or the 128GB options I'll be fine. 5.5" is just too big for my tastes.

Carried by a raven from the Wall.

Same here. Cameras have never been my main buying factor for a phone, so if OIS isn't included, it's no big deal. The 128 GB option won't sway me either, because I only need maybe 64 GB at the most, plus I couldn't afford a 128 GB either :)

Ariyala

Jun 29, 2010
Visit site
I, too, thought the only difference was going to be the size. Makes sense for Apple to put in a couple new hardware features/upgrades to the larger one in order to attempt to get more people to switch over to "phablets" and spend more money.

For me, I have my heart set on the 4.7" version, so no, it does not sway me to buy the larger one. As far as the features on that one and not on mine, well, I'm not happy about it (mainly because I like to have the best!) but it is what it is. Now, if there were tons of differences within iOS, I might have a problem! Those 4 rumored features of the 5.5" are wonderful, but I don't want to carry around a phone that large.

My boyfriend, on the other hand, was just thinking about getting the 5.5" version for the larger display. After I informed him of the rumored differences, his decision to get the larger one was made permanent!