Should I take the Note 3 as a replacement for my Blackberry or wait for the iPhone 6?

Grafixx01

Jun 21, 2014
Visit site
So I've had a BB Z30 since like February however, it's always had an issue with pictures after taking them using the camera. I've reloaded it multiple times, been on the phone with VZW Tier 2 & 3 support, talked with BlackBerry but nobody know what the deal is. On top of picture issues, it says that I have no ability to delete files and folders, some of which are as large as 4gb with date / time stamps of Dec 31, 1969 all the way through June 25, 2100! I downloaded and paid for two music albums from the store and the phone says I can't play them due to wrong / invalid file types.

I talked with VZW last night and they are going to send me a Note3 instead but I'm not sure if I should just send it back, deal with the issues with the BlackBerry and then see about the iPhone6 with the larger screen size. I currently run Windows & various versions of Linux on PCs at the house and have a iPad Mini Retina 64gb.

Any ideas?

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
You're obviously dissatisfied with your Blackberry, and Verizon is doing the right thing by offering you a different device to try to cater to your needs, however, you must decide for yourself what you want to do. Yes, the next iPhone is mere months away, but that doesn't solve the problem you are currently dealing with. If VZW is offering to replace your current device with a Note 3 without extending your contract (if applicable) then go for it. You can always opt to get the next iPhone later on. Deal with the situation at hand....:)

the_tech_eater

Jul 24, 2013
Visit site
You're obviously dissatisfied with your Blackberry, and Verizon is doing the right thing by offering you a different device to try to cater to your needs, however, you must decide for yourself what you want to do. Yes, the next iPhone is mere months away, but that doesn't solve the problem you are currently dealing with. If VZW is offering to replace your current device with a Note 3 without extending your contract (if applicable) then go for it. You can always opt to get the next iPhone later on. Deal with the situation at hand....:)

Better advice has not been spoken!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Trees

Dec 26, 2012
Visit site
Agree with the good advice thus far. One other "hidden" benefit from taking the Note 3 will be the opportunity to get used to a larger form factor and screen. Should the rumors about a ~ 5.5" iPhone 6 become true, then you'll have real hands-on experience using a similarly sized form factor. From that you may decide that the rumored ~ 4.7" iPhone 6 is a better fit, or that the 5.5 is for you.

Or if you are invested in and want to stay with BlackBerry, then perhaps the upcoming Z5 or Passport would be another option.

Edit: I see that the Z5 may no longer be in the works.

Algus

Apr 22, 2013
Visit site
I've been using the Verizon Note 3 since launch. Some thoughts...

The phone is just to damn powerful. I have tons of power management turned on that throttles the CPU, etc. and it still runs all my apps flawlessly, including games.

There is a ~ton~ of bloatware. I've got Google Apps, Samsung Apps, Verizon Apps, and then all the apps I actually use. It's really quite ridiculous.

I thought the pen interface would be something I would use heavily when I bought the phone but I find that I don't take it out to much. I'm not a huge fan of the handwriting recognition vs. what I was expecting (which was something along the lines of handwriting recognition from Windows Mobile circa early 2000s I guess).

One drawback of having so much software is the buttons do funny things. Swipe from the bottom, the home key, etc. I'm never to sure what I'm going to get or I accidentally launch something I don't want (like the laughable Samsung Magazine that tries to compete with Flipboard/Google Play Newsstand). Custom launchers break some of the Samsung tech like the voice recognition (S-Voice is garbage) but basically with all the preloaded stuff there is 2 or 3 ways to do everything...that's a lot of apps to force close and turn off. It's fine when you get it setup finally I guess but, like, why does it have to be this way? I don't want all this garbage. At least it's a Galaxy so it can use a memory card.

It is a great phone for sure. Well worth the price and far more powerful than any Android app. Even after the Note 4 comes out later this year, it'll still be a premium device. I will never go back to a non-Phablet phone as the added screen real estate is super useful.

I think I will switch when the iPhone 6 comes out (or maybe the iPhone 6S so I can buy on contract) but that is just because I am already heavily invested in OS X/iOS and there are features on my iPad that I wish were on my phone. I've used both iOS and Android heavily and both are very good operating systems with a lot of the same apps, though widgets really shine on the Note 3's 1080p screen.

Jan 20, 2014
Visit site
I had a Z30 and a Note 3. You'll love the display on the Note 3. It's not as pixelated and colors will appear very crisp and vivid. The Note 3 is quite a bit lighter, you'll feel the difference immediately. The features are very nice so you'll not be lacking for much.

Honestly, I sold my Z30 after less than a month. I just couldn't deal with the screen quality and heaviness. Still have my Note 3 though!

Good luck!

Sent from another beautiful blue using Tapatalk Pro.

Premium1

Trusted Member
Aug 17, 2011
Visit site
I would take the note 3, simply to no longer be dealing with phone issues. If nothing else you can always sell the note when the next iPhone comes out.

Not Quite Right

Trusted Member
May 11, 2013
Visit site
I'm not gonna lie, the Note 3 is a Freakin' awesome phone. I should've bought it last November. I returned it now because it's just too close to the release of the iPhone 6 & the Note 4., you can't have them all ...

Arktos

Jun 20, 2014
Visit site
I have had the Note 2 since launch and it is a great phone. I have also had quite a bit of hands on time with the Note 3 and it too, is an awesome phone. I for one love the pen input and use it frequently. A word of advice if you do decide to go for the Note - take the time to learn how to use it. You will enjoy the experience far more. Good luck!

A little fun fact about the Note 3:
image.jpg

DaPhoneking

Oct 5, 2011
Visit site

I came here to say this as well, as long as it will not change your contract date (granted if you're having issues with multiple replacements of the Z30, to which Verizon is replacing it with a Note 3), take the Note 3, then replace that with the iPhone 6. Hell you can trade in the Note 3 for credit/down payment on the 6. :D

Flow39

Jun 26, 2014
Visit site
I'd wait for the iPhone 6, because the Note has way too much bloatware, and like someone else said, if you swipe up, you never know if you'll accidentally launch something or turn on a feature instead of doing what you want.

Grafixx01

Jun 21, 2014
Visit site
Well, called VZW and returned the Note3. Mainly due to the fact that the iPhone6 AND Note4 are supposed to drop in like 3-5months. I also was asked if I wanted to pay my bill, i said sure. The CS lady informed me that it was $400+. I was like, What? Wait? Why? She said, "Well, your normal monthly bill is $150.00 and then there is a charge of $250.00 for a Note3 and Otterbox case." I said there shouldn't be a charge because the techs offered to swap me out due to the BB having issues. She said that they billed me for it and it also renewed my Edge contract. I said, "Well, can I refuse the delivery of the phone by FedEx and have them send it back for the credit and go back on the old Edge that I was on?" She said sure and asked why? I told her that the iPhone 6 and Note4 are supposed to drop in like 5months so why have old tech now?

She agreed. Even told me that VZW is showing the iPhone6 to be street dated in their system for August 15-25, 2014 and that they are scheduled to start training on the device after the July 4th weekend. I also asked if there was two models showing (4.7" and 5.5") as well as sizes. She stated, "Yes, two form factors are showign 4.7" and 5.5", along with sizes of 16,32, and 64GB but she doesn't show anything above 64GB."
**Take that with a grain of salt though**

Evilguppy

Jul 1, 2014
Visit site
I would advise AGAINST the Note 3 and here is why:

I had one, I loved it... On Jellybean, that it. The Kitkat update was forced on my phone and turned it into a useless brick.
My phone currently is a Blackberry Q10 and I really love it, but if your choice is between Note 3 and iPhone, get an iPhone. At least they won't force updates on you.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Erik4711