Let's talk about this design, shall we?

brett_f

Mar 23, 2013
Visit site
Agreed. Black for sure. I'm just torn on 4.7 or 5.5. If the 5.5 is released later than the 4.7, I'm not sure I could hold out.

Speedygi

Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
Man, I was convinced I'd finally get a white faced phone this time around, likely silver. But if these renders hold true, I might stay true to black cause it's lookin sharp.

View attachment 60094
View attachment 60095

Sent from my iPhone using iMore Forums

Man, every time I convince myself I want to get the white faced one, I always get a black one down the line. Loving the shapes this time around.

Flow39

Jun 26, 2014
Visit site
I have always liked the Space Gray color, and it is always what I get on my devices. Even last year, with the release of the Gold 5s, I still loved the look of the Space Gray and Black combo. It screams classy design and premium materials while still not being too flashy, and that's why I like Space Gray :)

finn5975

Banned
Sep 13, 2012
Visit site
Agreed. Black for sure. I'm just torn on 4.7 or 5.5. If the 5.5 is released later than the 4.7, I'm not sure I could hold out.

I'm torn as well. I could see the times where having 5.5" would be awesome. But on the flip side, I am very much a one-handed phone user. If the 4.7 is still easy to use with one hand, and the 5.5" is not, that might sway me to go with the 4.7. But if both, or neither, can be used one-handed then the 5.5 becomes a no brainer for me.

finn5975

Banned
Sep 13, 2012
Visit site
All the rumours I have seen recently seem to indicate that the 6 will be thinner than the current 5/5S. Dear god, why? I don't need a thinner phone, the 5 is plenty thin enough. What I need is a bigger battery...

I still hold out hope that these rumours are wrong as I dislike the vast majority of them.

iPhone 6 Rumors: iPhone 6 Touch ID leaks for first time | BGR

It blows my mind. One cannot convince me that a company, with as much $$ floating around as Apple, does not have on staff at least one human being whose sole purpose is to seek out and report back what the overwhelming majority of consumers want. Similar to scouting agents in sports. While there are many proposed features that consumers are split on in regards to desire....the ONE desire that seems to be consistent and craved by all is better battery life. Yet, despite this, we will get an 1800 mAh battery to power a 4.7" screen on a phone that is thin enough to use as a bookmark.

Flow39

Jun 26, 2014
Visit site
It blows my mind. One cannot convince me that a company, with as much $$ floating around as Apple, does not have on staff at least one human being whose sole purpose is to seek out and report back what the overwhelming majority of consumers want. Similar to scouting agents in sports. While there are many proposed features that consumers are split on in regards to desire....the ONE desire that seems to be consistent and craved by all is better battery life. Yet, despite this, we will get an 1800 mAh battery to power a 4.7" screen on a phone that is thin enough to use as a bookmark.

I know, it's kind of irritating. Battery life is pretty much the only part of smartphones that hasn't had a massive improvement. Cameras, OS, software, designs, you name it, those have all been improved. Battery tech is lagging behind unfortunately. :/

Speedygi

Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
I know, it's kind of irritating. Battery life is pretty much the only part of smartphones that hasn't had a massive improvement. Cameras, OS, software, designs, you name it, those have all been improved. Battery tech is lagging behind unfortunately. :/

Which is why companies like Google are doing battery improvements like project Volta for their Android platform. They ARE at least making the efforts...

If Apple keeps down the road of battery efficiency and getting incremental improvements here and there, they would be doing far better with the supposed bigger battery of the new phone.

kataran

Ambassador
Mar 11, 2013
Visit site

I believe Apple listens to it's customers which is evident in the iOS 8 features and the rumored screen size hardware releases in the coming months. I for one don't want a larger screen but many have voiced they do

The battery issue is a strange one as they can just put a bigger battery in but I'm not sure that's what customers want. I had bought an extended battery and back cover for my Palm Pre2 years back which added size in thickness and weight to the device. Even thou it almost tripled my battery life it always drew negative comments from everyone who saw it.

finn5975

Banned
Sep 13, 2012
Visit site
I believe Apple listens to it's customers which is evident in the iOS 8 features and the rumored screen size hardware releases in the coming months. I for one don't want a larger screen but many have voiced they do

The battery issue is a strange one as they can just put a bigger battery in but I'm not sure that's what customers want. I had bought an extended battery and back cover for my Palm Pre2 years back which added size in thickness and weight to the device. Even thou it almost tripled my battery life it always drew negative comments from everyone who saw it.

I agree in that I believe Apple listens as well...I am just not sure the degree. While iOS 8 is getting features that I am excited about, and believe many are excited about, they are also features I have been wishing for since iOS 5 was released in 2011. And while the argument is there that 'others do it first, Apple does it best', it still seems to me that they drag their feet in many situations.

I agree that many if not most customers do not want a default-sized iphone that would compare to phones with extended battery packs on them. But it also isn't like Apple would need to do that. They could have left the thickness of the 6 the same as the 5S, thus not needing to reduce the new battery from 3mm to 2mm, and now you have a battery that is in the 2000's mAh vs the rumored 1810 mAh. I just struggle seeing the benefit of an ultra thin phone vs a phone with improved battery life over previous generations when coupled with the potentially battery-saving tightness of ios8/iphone 6 integration.

Flow39

Jun 26, 2014
Visit site
Honestly, the whole thin phone thing is kind of pointless. Why do we need a phone that's ultra thin and light if we need to constantly be plugged into a wall to use it? I like what finn5975 said about keeping the thickness the same as the 5s, because then we'd have a battery in the 2000 mAh instead of the rumored 1810 mAH.

kataran

Ambassador
Mar 11, 2013
Visit site
I hope Finn realized that's also my view I have no problem with the current thickness of the iPhone but it's not the majorities view from my understanding

Scorpion667

Jul 21, 2014
Visit site
The phone is too tall IMHO.

Iphone 6 is the tallest 4.7" screen phone.

iPhone 6 = 138mm in height
HTC One M7 (which I found was very clunky to use due to it's height) = 137.4mm

You can't justify a phone that tall with a 4.7" screen. It's Taller than the 5.2" screen LG G2.

Physical size comparisons here.

I settled for a 5s for these reasons. I'm very comfortable with the form factor (had the 5 too).

Last edited:

Davehow

Banned
Jul 28, 2014
Visit site
The phone is too tall IMHO.

Iphone 6 is the tallest 4.7" screen phone.

iPhone 6 = 138mm in height
HTC One M7 (which I found was very clunky to use due to it's height) = 137.4mm

You can't justify a phone that tall with a 4.7" screen. It's Taller than the 5.2" screen LG G2.

Physical size comparisons here.

I settled for a 5s for these reasons. I'm very comfortable with the form factor (had the 5 too).

The new HTC m8 and Xperia z2 are both 146mm

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
waeriyadh