Let's talk about this design, shall we?

finn5975

Banned
Sep 13, 2012
Visit site
Hey all, let me preface by saying that yes I am aware these photos are speculative at best. Yes, we will all reserve judgement until Tim walks out on stage with the next iphone. But since speculation is all we have to go on, and these pics 'appear' to be more than just your average render, let's have some fun and talk about our thoughts/feelings if this indeed turns out to be the iphone 6.

It would appear they are indeed reducing bezel. It also appears they are going with more rounded sides. An all aluminum back separated by antenna bands. Also seems they are once again going longer than they are wider.

What do you think? If this were the final product, and without having the chance yet to acually place it in your hand, are you pleased with what you see?

I am torn. At what point do you sacrifice design appeal in order to try and maintain one-handed use? Judging by the pics, it is almost like looking at a Hershey's candy bar. I am trying to envision looking at video or pics on a phone that is that stretched out. But, the screen is indeed larger and I have been one of the those hoping for this. I also am torn on the rounded sides. I find the sides of the 5/5S to be striking with the sharp lines and beautiful metal look. Does anyone else look at this phone and feel a sense of the 'premium' look to be gone? Does the all metal back with antenna bands appeal to you?

I am just curious your thoughts. Not much else to talk about from a hardware standpoint since we have all had the 5S,5C,5 and beyond for quite some time. I think deep down we are looking at the next iphone in these pics, and if so, I am not sure how I feel about it.

photo 1.JPG
photo 2.JPG

Speedygi

Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
I am not a big fan of the rounded corners on the back of the new phone, but it's just me. It looks too much like an Android phone to feel like an Apple product, I would foresee.

Nodnerb

Oct 31, 2012
Visit site
Doing some measurements of the screens, it does in fact appear to be wider. Hopefully the real iphone will be scaled up in all dimensions. I don't want a phone that looks like my avatar.

Premium1

Trusted Member
Aug 17, 2011
Visit site
Hey all, let me preface by saying that yes I am aware these photos are speculative at best. Yes, we will all reserve judgement until Tim walks out on stage with the next iphone. But since speculation is all we have to go on, and these pics 'appear' to be more than just your average render, let's have some fun and talk about our thoughts/feelings if this indeed turns out to be the iphone 6.

It would appear they are indeed reducing bezel. It also appears they are going with more rounded sides. An all aluminum back separated by antenna bands. Also seems they are once again going longer than they are wider.

What do you think? If this were the final product, and without having the chance yet to acually place it in your hand, are you pleased with what you see?

I am torn. At what point do you sacrifice design appeal in order to try and maintain one-handed use? Judging by the pics, it is almost like looking at a Hershey's candy bar. I am trying to envision looking at video or pics on a phone that is that stretched out. But, the screen is indeed larger and I have been one of the those hoping for this. I also am torn on the rounded sides. I find the sides of the 5/5S to be striking with the sharp lines and beautiful metal look. Does anyone else look at this phone and feel a sense of the 'premium' look to be gone? Does the all metal back with antenna bands appeal to you?

I am just curious your thoughts. Not much else to talk about from a hardware standpoint since we have all had the 5S,5C,5 and beyond for quite some time. I think deep down we are looking at the next iphone in these pics, and if so, I am not sure how I feel about it.

View attachment 58408
View attachment 58409

I agree 100%. Not sure why apple goes with this long and skinny look (if this ends up being true) it is going to look much worse than the 5 did with the "stretched screen" Not to mention if this is indeed the iPhone 6 I will hold onto my 5s because I want a larger screen but this design does not appeal to me one bit. It is a step backwards in design terms of what apple has come to stand for. Not sure why it is so difficult for apple's designers to make a larger phone that doesn't look almost hot dogfish.
Plus this almost ties into all those super long iPhone memes and jokes that were floating around.

finn5975

Banned
Sep 13, 2012
Visit site
I honestly think we are looking at the final design. Just like with the 5, once we reached the nearing of production, leaks began tying together. The 'leaks', mock ups, etc have all reached a consistency now.

Sigh. I don't know. I look at it and I just don't see 'sleek' or 'sexy'. I see an even taller iphone 5/5S that has regressed in design prowess when it comes to the sides and back. Sure, it'll be super thin, but thin means nil to me.

Sent from my iPhone using iMore Forums

Beyond Fire

Nov 23, 2012
Visit site
I wish apple would hire some of these people who make these awesome concepts to integrate into their iPhones. It seems like these concepts are always much nicer than what apple actually puts out.

That's why I try not to look at concepts or even get hyped about them.

I honestly think we are looking at the final design. Just like with the 5, once we reached the nearing of production, leaks began tying together. The 'leaks', mock ups, etc have all reached a consistency now.

Sigh. I don't know. I look at it and I just don't see 'sleek' or 'sexy'. I see an even taller iphone 5/5S that has regressed in design prowess when it comes to the sides and back. Sure, it'll be super thin, but thin means nil to me.

Sent from my iPhone using iMore Forums

I don't see the sleekness or sexiness either in this design. It doesn't make sense that Apple would go backwards in design. Throughout the years their products have looked better then previous years. Their iPods, iPads, ATV, Thunderbolt Displays, iMac/MBP's ect. All those products were designed better then their previous generations. It wouldn't make sense for Apple to release an iPhone 6 to look like just a taller slightly wider and round version of an already 2 year old iPhone 5. Maybe I'm just getting worked up over nothing, but I've never been so anxious to watch the iPhone presentation like I am this year.

kataran

Ambassador
Mar 11, 2013
Visit site
Let tell it like it is this concept is ugly I know looks aren't everything but even the s5 looks sexier than this

finn5975

Banned
Sep 13, 2012
Visit site
If that ends up being the final design, and it ends up being that tall, with that little width, it will mark the end of the road for me and the iphone (well, until the next design change anyway). I am not sure what I will switch to given my dislike of android and disinterest in windows, but I guess I can worry about that down the road. This is not an attempt to be uber negative or disrespectful, just keeping it real. I love the iphone a lot. I wouldn't be on this forum if I didn't. But at the same time, I won't be blinded by that love if it comes to this.

Premium1

Trusted Member
Aug 17, 2011
Visit site
If that ends up being the final design, and it ends up being that tall, with that little width, it will mark the end of the road for me and the iphone (well, until the next design change anyway). I am not sure what I will switch to given my dislike of android and disinterest in windows, but I guess I can worry about that down the road. This is not an attempt to be uber negative or disrespectful, just keeping it real. I love the iphone a lot. I wouldn't be on this forum if I didn't. But at the same time, I won't be blinded by that love if it comes to this.

Sadly there are millions who will buy it simply because it is an iPhone. I am with you on it. I will hold onto my iPhone a little longer if this is indeed the final design and wait for the iPhone 7 since hopefully that would be a different design. Or the iPhone phablet(whatever they call it) if that ends up being true and not looking like this design wise.

qbnkelt

Mar 17, 2012
Visit site
I am not a big fan of the rounded corners on the back of the new phone, but it's just me. It looks too much like an Android phone to feel like an Apple product, I would foresee.

True. I would have prefered the sharper angles.

That said....I'll still get it.:heart:

acerace113

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
Well based on the dimensions of the 5S the max screen size Apple can go is 4.5" and that's with an edge-to-edge screen and the Touch ID, ear speaker, front facing camera, proximity & ambient light sensor would all barely fit.
At most I think the iPhone 6 will only be 5 mm taller and 2-3mm wider.

Sent from my iPhone 5S or 5th gen iPod Touch (beta testing) using Tapatalk

Highrisedrifter

Sep 19, 2012
Visit site

It's not just you. i dislike that design too. I hope it's not the finished rear shell and merely a mock up.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smitty22d2