Apple is too Predictable!

jexner325

May 21, 2009
Visit site
Don't get me wrong, I am an Apple fanatic. Having said that, I was not a fan of the iPhone 5/5S. I felt the size jump from 3.5 inches to 4 inches was a lame attempt at trying to please everyone; Apple sadly argued it was easier to use with one hand and seemed like a half-hearted attempt to catch up to the market. With the rumors of Apple coming out with a 4.7 inch phone, I feel like Apple is again making another mistake and not exceeding the market expectations or surprising people. I have no intention of jumping to another platform, but I definitely get jealous when I see the bigger screen Android/Windows Phone's available.

I feel like the sweet spot for Apple should be 5.0 inches and maybe even 6.0 inches. I know these are not drastic differences from 4.7/5.5, but again I think from a marketing perspective as well as a usability perspective the bigger screen sizes would make a difference. Apple could "differentiate" the bigger phone with specific and unique software as opposed to simply enlarging the OS to fit a bigger screen, much like with what they did with the iPad. The Phablet market is established and I feel now is the time for Apple to come in and change expectations like with the iPad; it would definitely help in the Asian markets.

I also was hoping to see Apple come out with the bigger screen "phablet" in the Spring and maybe the 4.7 inch phone in the fall, this way Apple would have something fresh in the Spring that people can focus on as opposed to everything coming out in September/October. It seems like Apple is just way too predictable and seems to be playing the "me too" card as opposed to surprising some people with an announcement in the Spring or even at WWDC.

Not sure what the iMore community feels like, but I miss the phone releases at WWDC and the "and one more thing" moments!!

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
Excellent analogy, however, without knowing how many people (non-techie types) who prefer the iPhone to be the size you want, it doesn't make sense for Apple to create such a large device, especially *if* the demand is not there. At least not in my opinion....:)

BreakingKayfabe

Sep 12, 2008
Visit site
Excellent analogy, however, without knowing how many people (non-techie types) who prefer the iPhone to be the size you want, it doesn't make sense for Apple to create such a large device, especially *if* the demand is not there. At least not in my opinion....:)

Which is why I truly hope there will be options for different screen sizes while the specs remain the same. Like iPad Air and iPad Mini with Retina. Just make the only choice people have to make is how big or small they want their screen size to be. When the iPhone used to be available only on ATT here in the U.S., it prevented many people from using the product because they didn't want to switch carriers. "I like the iPhone. Just wish it wasn't on ATT, only." It's gotten to the point where people say the same, except they don't go for it because they want a bigger screen. I just hope they cater to both segments.

BreakingKayfabe

Sep 12, 2008
Visit site
OP, I don't like the idea of releasing new products pretty much during every season. It's overkill. An iPhone phablet and then the smaller iPhone during the Fall? And somewhere would be the iPad. It really is too much. Apple is predictable. Just as all these other companies are now, lol. Think about when the Samsung Galaxy line phones are released, the Nexus line, LG, HTC, and so forth. There isn't a reason to release and "surprise" because no matter who releases what during the year, everyone is on the edge of their seats waiting for what Apple releases. People talked so much garbage about the 5S release and what it offered, and even Apple was surprised at how well it has sold.

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
OP, I don't like the idea of releasing new products pretty much during every season. It's overkill. An iPhone phablet and then the smaller iPhone during the Fall? And somewhere would be the iPad. It really is too much. Apple is predictable. Just as all these other companies are now, lol. Think about when the Samsung Galaxy line phones are released, the Nexus line, LG, HTC, and so forth. There isn't a reason to release and "surprise" because no matter who releases what during the year, everyone is on the edge of their seats waiting for what Apple releases. People talked so much garbage about the 5S release and what it offered, and even Apple was surprised at how well it has sold.

Well stated, sir...:)

pr1nce

Dec 3, 2012
Visit site
I think they know exactly what they're doing. I'm also not sure how many people non - techie types really want a much larger phone. Besides, they sell a ton of phones.

Jaguarr40

Jan 14, 2011
Visit site
Don't get me wrong, I am an Apple fanatic. Having said that, I was not a fan of the iPhone 5/5S. I felt the size jump from 3.5 inches to 4 inches was a lame attempt at trying to please everyone; Apple sadly argued it was easier to use with one hand and seemed like a half-hearted attempt to catch up to the market. With the rumors of Apple coming out with a 4.7 inch phone, I feel like Apple is again making another mistake and not exceeding the market expectations or surprising people. I have no intention of jumping to another platform, but I definitely get jealous when I see the bigger screen Android/Windows Phone's available.

I feel like the sweet spot for Apple should be 5.0 inches and maybe even 6.0 inches. I know these are not drastic differences from 4.7/5.5, but again I think from a marketing perspective as well as a usability perspective the bigger screen sizes would make a difference. Apple could "differentiate" the bigger phone with specific and unique software as opposed to simply enlarging the OS to fit a bigger screen, much like with what they did with the iPad. The Phablet market is established and I feel now is the time for Apple to come in and change expectations like with the iPad; it would definitely help in the Asian markets.

I also was hoping to see Apple come out with the bigger screen "phablet" in the Spring and maybe the 4.7 inch phone in the fall, this way Apple would have something fresh in the Spring that people can focus on as opposed to everything coming out in September/October. It seems like Apple is just way too predictable and seems to be playing the "me too" card as opposed to surprising some people with an announcement in the Spring or even at WWDC.

Not sure what the iMore community feels like, but I miss the phone releases at WWDC and the "and one more thing" moments!!

I enjoyed reading this just as much as I enjoyed reading your article titled It's time for Tim to go. In that article I commented how much thought and good thought I personally enjoyed reading what you gave us as your opinion. While I agree it would not hurt to have a larger screen I personally don't know as big as you feel but once again that what differs your articles to me because you have your opinions that don't go off track. They are ideas that you feel are deserving to share so thank you once again along with your other article I just finished and commented on.
As you can see by the comments of the others here there are many like yourself that have varying good opinions as well so it will be interesting to see how things shake out. Thank you for your opinions. I enjoyed them!

kataran

Ambassador
Mar 11, 2013
Visit site
It is possible to release two extreme size phones HP upon buying Palm brought to us the HP Veer and the HP Pre 3 each one on the opposite side of the current screen size that we enjoyed under Palm but we know how that turned out

I don't want Apple to make a huge mistake and put size ahead of innovation. All we are hearing is bigger screen not better features

Speedygi

Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
Truth is, no customer can get what he wants when he wants it at all times. How can Apple possibly please millions of users simultaneously and still stay focused? It's impossible.

Eventually any company is going to get predictable...

Tartarus

Ambassador
Feb 20, 2014
Visit site
Apple is going the right course right now. It's like men, size doesn't matter. It's all about quality and that's what Apple provides us.

Apple has never been a trendsetter but an improver, an re-inventor.

If Apple is to release a phablet, then I have no doubt it will be a major break through like the first gen iPhone was back in '07.

Apple needs to hold its head cool and must not rush into anything.

I really am confident that what Apple chooses to release, they will once again please millions of people.

DroidArmy

Dec 13, 2013
Visit site

I think the 4 inch option is perfect. I wouldn't mind 5 inches, but 6 is a bit much. You have to remember the purpose of a phone. If you can't put it up to your ear without looking silly, it isn't a useable phone. I like large phones, but only to a certain point. I think for most people the 4 inch screen is fine. It gets the job done well. You might need a larger screen if you read a lot on your phone, but otherwise there's not a huge reason. I watch a ton of media on my phone without problems. The screen size is perfect for me and what I do.

Speedygi

Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
I think the 4 inch option is perfect. I wouldn't mind 5 inches, but 6 is a bit much. You have to remember the purpose of a phone. If you can't put it up to your ear without looking silly, it isn't a useable phone. I like large phones, but only to a certain point. I think for most people the 4 inch screen is fine. It gets the job done well. You might need a larger screen if you read a lot on your phone, but otherwise there's not a huge reason. I watch a ton of media on my phone without problems. The screen size is perfect for me and what I do.

There's still a market for phablets the size of 6 inches, just look at the Notes and the Xperia Ultra and the various phablets over the last year, but I still think Apple shouldn't get ahead of itself with a phone that might cannibalize their iPad Mini sales, at least for the first few years of the tablet's appearance.

It makes no sense to go for 6 inches when Apple hasn't even nailed down the 4.5 - 5 inch phone range yet...

DroidArmy

Dec 13, 2013
Visit site
There's still a market for phablets the size of 6 inches, just look at the Notes and the Xperia Ultra and the various phablets over the last year, but I still think Apple shouldn't get ahead of itself with a phone that might cannibalize their iPad Mini sales, at least for the first few years of the tablet's appearance.

It makes no sense to go for 6 inches when Apple hasn't even nailed down the 4.5 - 5 inch phone range yet...

Does 6 inches seem practical for a phone though? No, it doesn't. That's getting into tablet territory. As I mentioned, you have to think about the purpose of a phone. 5 inches is the maximum before you start to jeopardize that. Practicality comes before screen size.

Speedygi

Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
Does 6 inches seem practical for a phone though? No, it doesn't. That's getting into tablet territory. As I mentioned, you have to think about the purpose of a phone. 5 inches is the maximum before you start to jeopardize that. Practicality comes before screen size.

Practicality means different things to different people, and comes in different devices for different people. It's hard to assume the one perfect size...if we could, there wouldn't be the Notes and Ultras would there?

DroidArmy

Dec 13, 2013
Visit site
Practicality means different things to different people, and comes in different devices for different people. It's hard to assume the one perfect size...if we could, there wouldn't be the Notes and Ultras would there?

There's no such thing as a one size fits all situation. However, there is a limit where screens start to become too big. I'm not saying that Samsung doesn't have success with the note line. Why do they though? The answer to that is pretty simple. The people who buy those phones use them like tablets. That's the real issue with the market right now. Manufacturers are forgetting the fundamentals of a phone. It's not practical to use these devices as a phone

Speedygi

Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
There's no such thing as a one size fits all situation. However, there is a limit where screens start to become too big. I'm not saying that Samsung doesn't have success with the note line. Why do they though? The answer to that is pretty simple. The people who buy those phones use them like tablets. That's the real issue with the market right now. Manufacturers are forgetting the fundamentals of a phone. It's not practical to use these devices as a phone
Well, you have a point, but the entire body of consumers gets to pick the right size they want for their needs for a phone, not any single person or company. It doesn't work that way...

For people, having a phone these days means much more than putting a device to their ears...don't the Bluetooth headset people jump off at that statement...boy...

machzk

Mar 31, 2014
Visit site
If they only offer large phones, then the iPhone 5 will be my last iPhone.

-- Sent from my Palm Veer using Forums

I wonder what you would buy? As most small screen devices for any other manufacturer are usually low end. You would stop using your iPhone for spite then?

Grabber5.0

Mar 13, 2013
Visit site
I wonder what you would buy? As most small screen devices for any other manufacturer are usually low end. You would stop using your iPhone for spite then?

I will keep using what I have until the big screen madness passes, and some normal sized phones start getting released again, or they all stop working and I have no choice but to use a tablet for a phone. :(

Sent from my iPhone using iMore Forums mobile app

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
janikhan1234