Apple is too Predictable!

machzk

Mar 31, 2014
Visit site
I will keep using what I have until the big screen madness passes, and some normal sized phones start getting released again, or they all stop working and I have no choice but to use a tablet for a phone. :(

Sent from my iPhone using iMore Forums mobile app

I must say if Apple does it right it won't be bad. I have a Moto X after having an iPhone 5, and the foot print is very similar. I can use the Moto X with one hand comfortably.

Sent from my Moto X...

sau124

Aug 13, 2012
Visit site
I miss the phone releases at WWDC and the "and one more thing" moments!!

Same here, that was the sign of a genius keeping everyone on their toes.

I think Apple has historically always played catch-up with their software. It is the implementation that keeps me glued in the Apple ecosystem

Jan 20, 2014
Visit site
I think that's what people like about it. There is just enough surprise to pull you in, Not enough to be overwhelming. The proven technology they feature may not be for everyone. There are people who are spec chasers who might not be the Apple demographic. However, The devices are sound and do not falter at all. They do carry their weight in both innovation and dependability.

Sure the iPhone might not develop the ability to cook your dinner, It might not be a widescreen television in your pocket, and it might not be able to tell you what color undies you have on... BUT it will do exactly what it's intended to do. It'll do it well too.

DroidArmy

Dec 13, 2013
Visit site
Would you agree however that the definition of a phone is evolving? Look at how phones are being used. Texting, web browsing, games, cameras, photo library, apps, etc. People seem to be talking less and less and communicating more and more through text and social media. I use my phone in exactly that fashion and I dont consider myself to be using it like a tablet. I despise tablets. There is a huge niche that want a one-stop-shop device that allows them to do all of the things I mentioned as still keep them connected via phone. The fact that the Note 3 has sold over 10 million devices is very telling.

I personally like the fact that Apple is apparently going to offer a 4.7" and 5.5" version. What has me scratching my head is the prospect of doing away with the 4" device completely, or in the very least, offering it at a reduced-spec level.

I agree it's evolving for the worse, if that's what you mean. There's a fine line between a hybrid and a phone which should be classified as a tablet. Walking around with a 6+ inch screen is madness, even if it works for you.

boovish

Jul 23, 2012
Visit site
You do realize putting a device out with a larger screen is a "Me too" move? And not everyone wants a bigger screen. Only the people who are yelling in an election booth of what they want

BreakingKayfabe

Sep 12, 2008
Visit site
You do realize putting a device out with a larger screen is a "Me too" move? And not everyone wants a bigger screen. Only the people who are yelling in an election booth of what they want

So what if it's a "me too" move? The iPad Mini was also a "me too" move. Who cares why they do it.

Jan 20, 2014
Visit site
So what if it's a "me too" move? The iPad Mini was also a "me too" move. Who cares why they do it.

I agree. There is always a me too company. Apple just doesn't jump in head first, which is why they never drown. They see what people want first and focus on customer service.

They are never late, they proceed exactly when they mean to.

Sent from the one in beautiful blue using Tapatalk.

DroidArmy

Dec 13, 2013
Visit site
I agree. There is always a me too company. Apple just doesn't jump in head first, which is why they never drown. They see what people want first and focus on customer service.

They are never late, they proceed exactly when they mean to.

Sent from the one in beautiful blue using Tapatalk.

That's not exactly true either. In my opinion, Apple was very late with LTE. They got the battery issues solved which plagued most of the android phones that had it at the time, but it was still too late. They should've worked on LTE harder and pushed it out with the 4s.

Tartarus

Ambassador
Feb 20, 2014
Visit site
That's not exactly true either. In my opinion, Apple was very late with LTE. They got the battery issues solved which plagued most of the android phones that had it at the time, but it was still too late. They should've worked on LTE harder and pushed it out with the 4s.

They demanded worldwide from carriers to have their LTE service to be tested by Apple.

For example: A Belgian carrier didn't allow this and the 5 and 5s weren't able to use their LTE service where android could.

There was a new Belgian law made to prohibit Apple and others to disable LTE use devicewise.

Apples explanation was that they wanted the best LTE service to be rolled out for their devices to be used

DroidArmy

Dec 13, 2013
Visit site
They demanded worldwide from carriers to have their LTE service to be tested by Apple.

For example: A Belgian carrier didn't allow this and the 5 and 5s weren't able to use their LTE service where android could.

There was a new Belgian law made to prohibit Apple and others to disable LTE use devicewise.

Apples explanation was that they wanted the best LTE service to be rolled out for their devices to be used

Their LTE radios could've and should've been prepared earlier. LTE is revolutionary for cellular networks. If anything, they should've put 3 times the manpower they used into developing the LTE radio they have now. I love that Apple takes time to get it right, but there's a point where it becomes too long of a wait for the product. Get the hardware right, and then apply software updates (or radio updates in this case) as necessary.

Last edited:

BreakingKayfabe

Sep 12, 2008
Visit site
Their LTE radios could've and should've been prepared earlier. LTE is revolutionary for cellular networks. If anything, they should've put 3 times the manpower they used into developing the LTE radio they have now. I love that Apple takes time to get it right, but there's a point where it becomes too long of a wait for the product. Get the hardware right, and then apply software (or radio updates in this case) as necessary.

I believe they brought LTE to the iPhone at the right time. First LTE phone on Verizon was brought out in March 2011. HTC Thunderbolt. That radio was a disaster and the 4S was brought out that October. I don't think Apple should have put LTE on that phone considering they didn't think LTE radios were quite good enough by then. They pushed the 4S to October when in previous years the iPhone was being released in June or July.

DroidArmy

Dec 13, 2013
Visit site
I believe they brought LTE to the iPhone at the right time. First LTE phone on Verizon was brought out in March 2011. HTC Thunderbolt. That radio was a disaster and the 4S was brought out that October. I don't think Apple should have put LTE on that phone considering they didn't think LTE radios were quite good enough by then. They pushed the 4S to October when in previous years the iPhone was being released in June or July.

I disagree, but we're allowed to have our own opinions.

BreakingKayfabe

Sep 12, 2008
Visit site
I disagree, but we're allowed to have our own opinions.

Just to add one more point. If Apple felt the battery life was taking a hit because of having LTE on the 4S that probably was another factor in them not putting it on there. They had already gone through Antennagate the year before and probably didn't want to start taking more hits because of battery life just being eaten away. It would have been a wide reported "problem" in the media that would have garnered plenty of criticism seeing as people waited for a next gen iPhone for 15 months.

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
Maybe instead of a "me too" move, it's a "WOW! You guys really like the big screens? We'll do it just for you!" move.

Sent from from my iPhone 5

Premium1

Trusted Member
Aug 17, 2011
Visit site
I think apple being a "one size fits all model" is why what you like won't happen. I think they could really corner the "phablet" market as well as their iPhone faithful with having 2 different larger screened iPhones. I guess only time will tell, but why not go 5s-4", 6-4.7" and whatever they would call the 5.5 inch device to give users choice and not alienate one group or another

Jaguarr40

Jan 14, 2011
Visit site

There is a very good article written I believe it was yesterday on our own Blog about Verizon's network and what they are calling the new XLTE and announced the cities and iDevices which are able to benefit from this much faster speeds. I was surprised to read the city I live in was named out of I believe there might have been 10 cities and the iPad mini 2 that I am typing on now and as well as the 5S. There were several other devices so at least one carrier is not holding back on speed and actively branching out to get it to more cities across the country.

Last edited:

boovish

Jul 23, 2012
Visit site
There is a very good article written I believe it was yesterday on our own Blog about Verizon's network and what they are calling the new XLTE and announced the cities and iDevices which are able to benefit from this much faster speeds. I was surprised to read the city I live in was named out of I believe there might have been 10 cities and the iPad mini 2 that I am typing on now and as well as the 5S. There were several other devices so at least one carrier is not holding back on speed and actively branching out to get it to more cities across the country.

Verizon, unlike the other carriers are actually good at setting up a network. They were the first to LTE and now first to AWS LTE. And more importantly, the iDevices, including the 5S, 5C, iPad Air, and Mini w/Retina, will receive the ability to use the XLTE bands w/o an update, as well as a couple android devices, and since they make up such a large part of the network, this will decongest the old LTE network, giving the older phones like the 5 faster data speeds.

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smitty22d2