Would you agree however that the definition of a phone is evolving? Look at how phones are being used. Texting, web browsing, games, cameras, photo library, apps, etc. People seem to be talking less and less and communicating more and more through text and social media. I use my phone in exactly that fashion and I dont consider myself to be using it like a tablet. I despise tablets. There is a huge niche that want a one-stop-shop device that allows them to do all of the things I mentioned as still keep them connected via phone. The fact that the Note 3 has sold over 10 million devices is very telling.

I personally like the fact that Apple is apparently going to offer a 4.7" and 5.5" version. What has me scratching my head is the prospect of doing away with the 4" device completely, or in the very least, offering it at a reduced-spec level.
    I agree it's evolving for the worse, if that's what you mean. There's a fine line between a hybrid and a phone which should be classified as a tablet. Walking around with a 6+ inch screen is madness, even if it works for you.
    05-20-2014 11:44 AM
    You do realize putting a device out with a larger screen is a "Me too" move? And not everyone wants a bigger screen. Only the people who are yelling in an election booth of what they want
    05-20-2014 03:24 PM
    You do realize putting a device out with a larger screen is a "Me too" move? And not everyone wants a bigger screen. Only the people who are yelling in an election booth of what they want
    So what if it's a "me too" move? The iPad Mini was also a "me too" move. Who cares why they do it.
    05-20-2014 03:41 PM
    So what if it's a "me too" move? The iPad Mini was also a "me too" move. Who cares why they do it.
    I agree. There is always a me too company. Apple just doesn't jump in head first, which is why they never drown. They see what people want first and focus on customer service.

They are never late, they proceed exactly when they mean to.

Sent from the one in beautiful blue using Tapatalk.
    05-20-2014 03:45 PM
    I agree. There is always a me too company. Apple just doesn't jump in head first, which is why they never drown. They see what people want first and focus on customer service.

They are never late, they proceed exactly when they mean to.

Sent from the one in beautiful blue using Tapatalk.
    That's not exactly true either. In my opinion, Apple was very late with LTE. They got the battery issues solved which plagued most of the android phones that had it at the time, but it was still too late. They should've worked on LTE harder and pushed it out with the 4s.
    05-20-2014 05:21 PM
    That's not exactly true either. In my opinion, Apple was very late with LTE. They got the battery issues solved which plagued most of the android phones that had it at the time, but it was still too late. They should've worked on LTE harder and pushed it out with the 4s.
    They demanded worldwide from carriers to have their LTE service to be tested by Apple.

For example: A Belgian carrier didn't allow this and the 5 and 5s weren't able to use their LTE service where android could.

There was a new Belgian law made to prohibit Apple and others to disable LTE use devicewise.

Apples explanation was that they wanted the best LTE service to be rolled out for their devices to be used
    05-20-2014 05:33 PM
    They demanded worldwide from carriers to have their LTE service to be tested by Apple.

For example: A Belgian carrier didn't allow this and the 5 and 5s weren't able to use their LTE service where android could.

There was a new Belgian law made to prohibit Apple and others to disable LTE use devicewise.

Apples explanation was that they wanted the best LTE service to be rolled out for their devices to be used

Their LTE radios could've and should've been prepared earlier. LTE is revolutionary for cellular networks. If anything, they should've put 3 times the manpower they used into developing the LTE radio they have now. I love that Apple takes time to get it right, but there's a point where it becomes too long of a wait for the product. Get the hardware right, and then apply software updates (or radio updates in this case) as necessary.
    Last edited by DroidArmy; 05-20-2014 at 07:59 PM.
    Premium1 likes this.
    05-20-2014 05:48 PM
    Their LTE radios could've and should've been prepared earlier. LTE is revolutionary for cellular networks. If anything, they should've put 3 times the manpower they used into developing the LTE radio they have now. I love that Apple takes time to get it right, but there's a point where it becomes too long of a wait for the product. Get the hardware right, and then apply software (or radio updates in this case) as necessary.
    I believe they brought LTE to the iPhone at the right time. First LTE phone on Verizon was brought out in March 2011. HTC Thunderbolt. That radio was a disaster and the 4S was brought out that October. I don't think Apple should have put LTE on that phone considering they didn't think LTE radios were quite good enough by then. They pushed the 4S to October when in previous years the iPhone was being released in June or July.
    FFR likes this.
    05-20-2014 06:04 PM
    I believe they brought LTE to the iPhone at the right time. First LTE phone on Verizon was brought out in March 2011. HTC Thunderbolt. That radio was a disaster and the 4S was brought out that October. I don't think Apple should have put LTE on that phone considering they didn't think LTE radios were quite good enough by then. They pushed the 4S to October when in previous years the iPhone was being released in June or July.
    I disagree, but we're allowed to have our own opinions.
    BreakingKayfabe likes this.
    05-20-2014 06:06 PM
    I disagree, but we're allowed to have our own opinions.
    Just to add one more point. If Apple felt the battery life was taking a hit because of having LTE on the 4S that probably was another factor in them not putting it on there. They had already gone through Antennagate the year before and probably didn't want to start taking more hits because of battery life just being eaten away. It would have been a wide reported "problem" in the media that would have garnered plenty of criticism seeing as people waited for a next gen iPhone for 15 months.
    Speedygi likes this.
    05-20-2014 06:10 PM
    Maybe instead of a "me too" move, it's a "WOW! You guys really like the big screens? We'll do it just for you!" move.

Sent from from my iPhone 5
    boovish and BreakingKayfabe like this.
    05-20-2014 07:02 PM
    I think apple being a "one size fits all model" is why what you like won't happen. I think they could really corner the "phablet" market as well as their iPhone faithful with having 2 different larger screened iPhones. I guess only time will tell, but why not go 5s-4", 6-4.7" and whatever they would call the 5.5 inch device to give users choice and not alienate one group or another
    05-20-2014 07:24 PM
    There is a very good article written I believe it was yesterday on our own Blog about Verizon's network and what they are calling the new XLTE and announced the cities and iDevices which are able to benefit from this much faster speeds. I was surprised to read the city I live in was named out of I believe there might have been 10 cities and the iPad mini 2 that I am typing on now and as well as the 5S. There were several other devices so at least one carrier is not holding back on speed and actively branching out to get it to more cities across the country.
    Last edited by Jaguarr40; 05-20-2014 at 07:28 PM. Reason: typo
    kataran likes this.
    05-20-2014 07:24 PM
    There is a very good article written I believe it was yesterday on our own Blog about Verizon's network and what they are calling the new XLTE and announced the cities and iDevices which are able to benefit from this much faster speeds. I was surprised to read the city I live in was named out of I believe there might have been 10 cities and the iPad mini 2 that I am typing on now and as well as the 5S. There were several other devices so at least one carrier is not holding back on speed and actively branching out to get it to more cities across the country.
    Verizon, unlike the other carriers are actually good at setting up a network. They were the first to LTE and now first to AWS LTE. And more importantly, the iDevices, including the 5S, 5C, iPad Air, and Mini w/Retina, will receive the ability to use the XLTE bands w/o an update, as well as a couple android devices, and since they make up such a large part of the network, this will decongest the old LTE network, giving the older phones like the 5 faster data speeds.
    Jaguarr40 likes this.
    05-20-2014 09:53 PM
    this thread just gave me a migraine
    nikkisharif likes this.
    05-21-2014 01:19 AM

Not sure what the iMore community feels like, but I miss the phone releases at WWDC and the "and one more thing" moments!!
    Even though I wasn't a hug iPhone fan at that time...I do miss the surprising moments.
    05-21-2014 02:41 AM
    I must say if Apple does it right it won't be bad. I have a Moto X after having an iPhone 5, and the foot print is very similar. I can use the Moto X with one hand comfortably.

Sent from my Moto X...
    I'm a woman that travels a lot & a phone that's too much larger than the current iPhone is just way too big for me. One handed operation really comes in handy while running through the airport.
    05-21-2014 02:53 AM
    Maybe instead of a "me too" move, it's a "WOW! You guys really like the big screens? We'll do it just for you!" move.

Sent from from my iPhone 5
    Nah, I think it would be more of a scenario where Apple is looking to do it the RIGHT way...The way Samsung and the rest couldn't...
    FFR likes this.
    05-21-2014 04:03 AM
    I'm not sure I can agree with that based on what we've seen thus far. If, big if, the renders thus far are true, the 6 will simply be a larger 5S. Same bezel, same look, just bigger and thinner.
    That to me is hardly reflective of waiting to do it the 'right' way. That's reflective of "hey, we told you that 4" is the perfect size and you aren't listening. Guess we'll offer you 4.7" to appease".
    Curious, what is not right about Samsung's or the others' ways?

Sent from my iPhone using iMore Forums
    I'm just speaking from the perspective of how Apple would put its best foot forward on marketing the iPhone 6, from a Public Relations angle. I'm not saying if the actual way that Apple is going to be doing the new phone would live up to the hype...
    Jaguarr40 likes this.
    05-21-2014 07:03 AM
    I'm a woman that travels a lot & a phone that's too much larger than the current iPhone is just way too big for me. One handed operation really comes in handy while running through the airport.
    Thats the point i was making. The Moto X i almost all screen, that's how they get away with it. I hope Apple works on increasing the screen size but not the the actual phone by much. Right now the iPhone had a considerable amount of bezel that can be used for screen.

Sent from my Moto X...
    05-21-2014 07:48 AM
    do you realize you're arguing about a phone that's not even announced?
    05-21-2014 03:38 PM
    On my Galaxy S5 a quick back and forth swipe from either side shrinks the screen down for one-handed mode. Works pretty slick.

I thought I'd never want a phone larger than 4.25". But now even the 4.7" Moto X feels too small to me. Right around 5" is the sweet spot for me today. The phablets are just too large.

I predict the 4.7" and 5.5" iPhones will be huge hits and there will be no going back. Although, at that size, they really need to do something about that bezel. Not going to get away with the current porportions at 5.5".
    05-21-2014 06:11 PM
    I do miss the "one more thing" moment and really being anxious of what the next product would be without looking at leaks. I do not like leaks it defeats the whole purpose for me to be excited in the next product. Boo.

Sent from my awesome iPhone 5, soon to be 6 later this year.
    05-22-2014 03:56 AM
    I think the 4 inch option is perfect. I wouldn't mind 5 inches, but 6 is a bit much. You have to remember the purpose of a phone. If you can't put it up to your ear without looking silly, it isn't a useable phone. I like large phones, but only to a certain point. I think for most people the 4 inch screen is fine. It gets the job done well. You might need a larger screen if you read a lot on your phone, but otherwise there's not a huge reason. I watch a ton of media on my phone without problems. The screen size is perfect for me and what I do.

Even the note size phones aren't that big. Heck cordless phones are still big, I understand they are not as wide but phone sizes change throughout the years.

There really is no perfect size for everyone. A six inch phone might be a tablet to you, but clearly there is a big market for it. My mom barely knows how to use her phone, but she loves the huge screen of the Note 3. I personally like the size of the Moto X, there is no right answer.

Apple is too Predictable!-zack-morris-phone.jpg
    05-23-2014 03:50 PM
    If apple offered a 5" iphone and kept their 4" and 3.5" offerings I think that would be the better direciton. 4.7 doesn't go far enough and 5.5" is just joining the phablet market. 5" hits the sweet spot of phone sizes and the Galaxy S5 5.1 is a great phone to hold and use yet I feel Apple will take big hit from loyal users if they go big only this fall.
    05-23-2014 06:38 PM
55 123