Could Apple benefit by providing an external storage slot?

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
Currently, the flagship iPhone comes in three storage sizes - 16 GB, 32GB & 64 GB. Right? Well, could Apple benefit from not only maintaining the above internal storage models, but also include an external storage slot w/limitations? For example, a mini or micro xD card that could not be used to store anything purchased from the iTunes & App Store? What about consumers? Could we benefit from such an arrangement?

iOS Gravity

Sep 24, 2013
Visit site
That would be cool and I would want it to happen, but I want it to be like the SIM card and be in a tray rather than a slide in slot. I don't want the next iPhone being part plastic on the slides like the Galaxy Series. One last thing, it would bring little benefit since the internal storage is plenty for most people. Apple might have to create some sort of sd card management app too. I don't see Apple going down this path.

Jaguarr40

Jan 14, 2011
Visit site
It would be great like the BB days but you know 'D Apple will never open their phone for a consumer to place something like that in it or they might have to lower their price to compensate. I am getting ready to post something about their pricing soon. It would still be nice though.:)

Highrisedrifter

Sep 19, 2012
Visit site
I am vehemently opposed to this idea. Whilst I do concede that it would be helpful, I don't think it is a requirement.

The SD card on my Note 3 has been b0rked by the latest Android update and I can't write to it at all until they provide a fix. Just rubbish.

kataran

Ambassador
Mar 11, 2013
Visit site
I do have seen lost cards and corrupt data in the past using external media storage

One of the best iPhone design features are the non removal of the battery and storage

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
The iPhone 6 should start with 32 gb at $199.99 on carrier contract. It's got where 16 gb are just not enough. ;)

Sent from from my iPhone 5

Mr.Willie

Apr 17, 2013
Visit site
I had a BB that had a storage slot. I found it annoying having to tell the phone where to store files all the time. I've never bought a phone with external storage since. Just give me 32 gigs of internal and be done with it.

What would be nice is being able to use some storage as a flash drive. That way when I am out in the field I could put files from the laptop onto the phone and email them out. This functionality is the main reason why an iPhone doesn't work for me. I dislike Android, but I can do what I have to do with it.

rellyrellz

Oct 26, 2012
Visit site
What about an On The Go cable like the bb z30 and allowing you to use external devices like flash drive or a card reader. Don't see it happening but just trying to add to the subject.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
waeriyadh