According to Kuo, both versions of the iPhone 6 (4.7" and 5.5") will have NFC. Do you think that this will actually happen?

I'm having a hard time believing this because Apple primarily uses i-Beacon technology now in many places, like at Apple Stores in the US and in MLB Ballparks.

Sent from my Space Grey iPhone 5s 64 GB or Space Grey iPad Air 128 GB WiFi + Cellular. Both devices using VZW 4G LTE and running iOS 7.1 .
    04-13-2014 06:16 PM
    Nope.

Sent from my iPhone using iMore Forums app
    04-13-2014 06:21 PM
    It'd be nice to see and I hope it happens

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    04-13-2014 06:21 PM
    I doubt it. But to me NFC is not a huge deciding factor since I rarely (if ever) use it.
    04-13-2014 07:16 PM
    Sharing files with Android phones will become easier, but I have never seen someone using it.
    04-13-2014 07:20 PM
    Sharing files with Android phones will become easier, but I have never seen someone using it.
    I'd use that option like crazy seeing as Bluetooth doesn't do the job.

Sent from a larger than life device. Using Tapatalk
    04-13-2014 07:59 PM
    I'd use that option like crazy seeing as Bluetooth doesn't do the job.

Sent from a larger than life device. Using Tapatalk
    Yeah. Bluetooth is horrible.
    kataran likes this.
    04-13-2014 08:16 PM
    04-13-2014 08:25 PM
    I forgot to mention that there's Airdrop technology as well. I hope that they'll smooth that out in iOS 8.

Sent from my Space Grey iPhone 5s 64 GB or Space Grey iPad Air 128 GB WiFi + Cellular. Both devices using VZW 4G LTE and running iOS 7.1 .
    04-13-2014 09:47 PM
    I forgot to mention that there's Airdrop technology as well. I hope that they'll smooth that out in iOS 8.

I haven't experienced any problems with it.
    04-13-2014 09:56 PM
    I doubt it due to their investment in iBeacon.

I've had it on my Android phones for a while and have never used it so i am completely unbothered.
    04-14-2014 03:19 AM
    What would be the point of nfc? I have had trouble finding merchants who take nfc payments, and even more trouble with nfc tags. If it was accepted at more merchants I think nfc would make sense.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk
    04-14-2014 04:40 AM
    Before I am told to go to androidcentral... I have owned every iPhone to date.

04-14-2014 04:41 AM
    What would be the point of nfc? I have had trouble finding merchants who take nfc payments, and even more trouble with nfc tags. If it was accepted at more merchants I think nfc would make sense.

It's useful for triggering events and I guess finding merchants varies. There are plenty of merchants around me that accept payments via NFC
    04-14-2014 08:08 AM
    I don't see NFC or iBeacon being the default payment method either. I think since the majority of retailers are already equipped with barcode scanners & scan guns of some type that banking apps would produce barcodes that would be scanned for payment... Then it wouldn't matter what type of phone is used or operating system. As for transferring files. Cloud based solutions have pretty much eliminated the need to physically transfer files ... thus leaving NFC & iBeacon as marketing gimmicks rather than anything needed .
    04-14-2014 12:53 PM

Believe you me, if Apple incorporated NFC technology in their devices you'll see a lot of merchants come out of the woodwork using it for payment systems. And it wouldn't be called NFC. Just iSomething. I don't care either way whether there is NFC on the iPhone or not.
    Speedygi likes this.
    04-14-2014 03:49 PM
    Doesn't matter how you want to slice it, more and more merchants in Canada are going NFC including the big Banks here. CIBC is already on Board, TD anytime now. The rest are following, Royal Bank has NFC in the cloud. Carriers are supporting it with Rogers NFC wallet lablaws Canada has it coming. This is not a fad..its coming hard this year...at least in Canada

Sent from my Z30 using Mobile Nations mobile app
    04-14-2014 11:54 PM
    Doesn't matter how you want to slice it, more and more merchants in Canada are going NFC including the big Banks here. CIBC is already on Board, TD anytime now. The rest are following, Royal Bank has NFC in the cloud. Carriers are supporting it with Rogers NFC wallet lablaws Canada has it coming. This is not a fad..its coming hard this year...at least in Canada
    Who are we kidding?, Canada doesn't really count.
    04-15-2014 12:26 AM
    No to NFC...Major League Baseball is rolling out iBeacon in a dozen or so ballparks this season.
    04-15-2014 02:57 AM
    Who are we kidding?, Canada doesn't really count.
    Bwhaha .. Classic lol

Sent from my iPhone using iMore Forums mobile app
    Not Quite Right likes this.
    04-15-2014 04:21 AM
    Even if the new iPhone has NFC I doubt you will be able to share with Android. I can bet that Apple is not going to provide access to third party developers to the same so don't expect any apps that will support it either using the technology
    04-15-2014 09:20 AM

That is the worst example you could use to convince Apple to add NFC, actually this is a good reason why Apple won't add NFC.
    If you have an cibc bank account and you wanted to pay via NFC you would need a galaxy s3 or s4 that is with Rogers and even if you have that some retailers don't even support cibc as a NFC payment option. Some only support paypal. Some bank partnered with bell to offer NFC payments but that is only with blackberry's with OS 10 on it.
    With that kind of fragmentation Apple doesn't want to add NFC support.

Sent from my iPhone 5S or 5th gen iPod Touch using Tapatalk
    04-15-2014 09:36 AM
    That is the worst example you could use to convince Apple to add NFC, actually this is a good reason why Apple won't add NFC.
    If you have an cibc bank account and you wanted to pay via NFC you would need a galaxy s3 or s4 that is with Rogers and even if you have that some retailers don't even support cibc as a NFC payment option. Some only support paypal. Some bank partnered with bell to offer NFC payments but that is only with blackberry's with OS 10 on it.
    With that kind of fragmentation Apple doesn't want to add NFC support.

Sent from my iPhone 5S or 5th gen iPod Touch using Tapatalk
    CIBC is only one the Big Banks in Canada bringing on NFC, and I'm sure the other carriers are ramping up. NFC is compatible on th galaxy S3,4, and 5 respectively along with BlackBerry 10 devices which BlackBerry still has a pretty big following in Canada (although slipping). I'm seeing more and NFC options in Burlington Ontario although I can't speak for where you are. With respect to Canada doesn't count how did those US banks fair during the global economic downturn? You may remember but Canada's banks were the pride of the world as far as lending institutions go.

04-15-2014 11:57 PM
    American Banks are still in business, and making billions. Not to mention a hell of a lot warmer!
    04-19-2014 09:49 AM

Doesn't California have a larger population than Canada?
    04-23-2014 04:53 PM
28 12