If the iPhone 6 came factory unlocked on all carriers, who would benefit the most - the customers or the wireless carriers?
    03-25-2014 05:20 PM
    I would guess the customer. It would give them options and the freedom to switch carriers at will.
    Just_Me_D likes this.
    03-25-2014 11:14 PM
    Customers
    Just_Me_D likes this.
    03-26-2014 01:12 AM
    Sounds like a trick question, lol. Sure it's good for the customers. But how willing will the carriers be to just give the phones away, knowing you can just go to another carrier with it.
    Just_Me_D likes this.
    03-26-2014 01:51 AM
    Sounds like a trick question, lol. Sure it's good for the customers. But how willing will the carriers be to just give the phones away, knowing you can just go to another carrier with it.
    At the same time, how willing would those same carriers be to accept customers who are transferring from competitors?....
    03-26-2014 09:54 AM
    Neither cause the carriers won't sell it... Or the carriers would charge an insane amount for it...

Sent from my iPhone 5S or 5th gen iPod Touch using Tapatalk
    Just_Me_D likes this.
    03-26-2014 10:29 AM
    At the same time, how willing would those same carriers be to accept customers who are transferring from competitors?....
    In the UK it is much less of a problem. I'm still staggered when I see how much it costs to have a cellphone contract in the US compared to the UK.

Most, but definitely not all, carriers will sell you a phone to their network but will often unlock it for you completely free of charge at the end of your contract. The best deals aren't there to keep old customers but to entice new customers, so people can and often do swap between carriers often.

For instance, I was with O2 for years then swapped to Vodafone in 2012. That contract is now at an end and I will be swapping to the Three network on a 30 day rolling contract at 12.90 per month (about $21.00 per month) for unlimited data, 200 minutes and 5000 SMS. Bear in mind that no network in the UK charges its users for receiving calls or texts, unlike in the USA. I will be bringing the phone with me to this contract but routinely we can find a multitude of contracts that require zero money up front and about a 30 to 40 monthly cost ($49 to $66 approx) for two years.

It is huge business enticing customers away from one network and they all do it routinely here.

Phones are readily available to buy unlocked and in fact the last time I bought a phone that was locked to a network was probably 2005 or maybe even earlier, even if bought direct from a carrier.

All my iPhones have been unlocked and bought direct from an Apple store. Apple do not actually sell iPhones that are locked to a network here in the UK at all.

I went into the Glendale Galleria flagship store in LA (I spend a lot of time flitting back and forth between the UK and LA for my work) in October last year to pick up a 5S and the only ones they had were locked to networks. Notwithstanding I now understand that Verizon devices are in fact unlocked as a matter of course, the Apple Store claimed they were locked. Anyway, they use the CDMA bands and so are about as useful in the UK as a chocolate ashtray on a motorcycle. I use AT&T at the moment but I understand T-Mo also use GSM out of the big four companies.
    03-26-2014 10:37 AM
    Neither cause the carriers won't sell it... Or the carriers would charge an insane amount for it...

locking customers to one's service is displaying a lack of confidence either in the product or the provided service. Realistically, however, it is to take the power to control prices from the consumer, in my opinion...
    taz323 and sherlock like this.
    03-26-2014 10:40 AM
    locking customers to one's service is displaying a lack of confidence either in the product or the provided service. Realistically, however, it is to take the power to control prices from the consumer, in my opinion...
    I'm basing on the carriers here in Canada... Way different than the carriers in the US

03-26-2014 12:34 PM
    I'm basing on the carriers here in Canada... Way different than the carriers in the US

I understand.
    03-26-2014 12:34 PM
    I don't they will, can see this becoming very expensive for everyone.
    03-26-2014 12:39 PM
    The carrier always benefits.
    03-26-2014 09:32 PM