Could the iPhone 6 already be in front of our eyes?

Metro1088

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
The single most mysterious aspect of the upcoming iPhone for most of us seems to be how it's going to look. The Internet right now is full of concepts and renders of artists' impressions. But not a single one of them looks plausible to me. Apple wouldn't release an iPhone with asymmetrical bezels on top and the bottom. At the same time releasing a phone with the same bezels as the iPhone 5s but with a 4.5" or 4.7" screen would be a suicide. Apple is certainly going to "cut" some bezels and I tried to take a guess at how it's going to turn out.

Take a look at the back of the current iPhone:

iphone-5-backapple-iphone-5-review-digital-trends-reviews-xfcya7xh.jpg

Imagine the same image with a display in the place of the metal plate.

iphone6.png

But what about the home button with Touch ID, you ask?

The bezels need to shrink, I don't doubt that. And the home button might need to go and become a touch sensitive area under the screen. This is where all the rumors and facts about sapphire crystal front panels begin to make sense. Apple doesn't need to ditch Gorilla Glass as it's good enough these days. The only really compelling reason to switch to sapphire crystal seems to be implementing the Touch ID under the entire front glass panel. Not as a circle in the home button but as a sensitive area right under the screen and below the glass. Remember that podcast with Rene when he mentioned rumors that Apple would try to implement Touch ID directly under the display? I think we're not too close to that yet but Apple is definitely working on bringing Touch ID under the glass panel.

Right now on the back of the iPhone 5/5s the metal plate is 4.5" diagonally. For a 4.7" the entire phone needs to get slightly larger. Whatever the screen size, this is the only option that makes sense to me. Of all the renders I've seen, some of which done with great talent and resources, I think just taking the back of the iPhone 5 and going from there seems most plausible. Bezels need to shrink and shrink symmetrically. As a result the home button needs to become a touch sensitive area together with the Touch ID and this is where the sapphire crystal comes. It all makes sense to me.

Before you reply to this post, please have a look at the back of your iPhone 5 or 5s. Hold it, think about the proportions, does it look plausible for you? Does it look like something Apple would do? Does it still retain the iconic iPhone silhouette that is so obviously missing from most of the renders out there?

What do you think? I'd like to read your take on this idea of mine.

Speedygi

Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
I must say the way you explained all the aspects and came to that conclusion, you did great work here. Well done, and you have the knack for this.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

Jan 20, 2014
Visit site
If it turns out you are right, I think you could make a ton of money off forecasting. Haha.

Seriously though, this was well thought out and extremely plausible.

kataran

Ambassador
Mar 11, 2013
Visit site
I could get use to this design the Touch ID area you speak of is a great concept reminds me of my palm pre 2

Sent from my iPhone 5s Gold 64GB

tgp

Trusted Member
Dec 1, 2012
Visit site
Apple wouldn't release an iPhone with asymmetrical bezels on top and the bottom.

Well, Apple released the 5c with a case that showed "hon"!

hon.jpg

But seriously, as the others have said your post is very thorough and well thought out. It makes sense to me.

Metro1088

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
Here's another quick mock up.

iphone6mockup.png

I put a circle under the screen because if the home button don't make it (as I think it won't), there would be some kind of indication where the touch sensitive area under the glass would be.

More on the home button:

If Apple decreases the bezel, they need to decrease the size of the home button (just like they did with iPhone 5 compared to 4S). But a smaller home button wouldn't be capable of carrying the Touch ID. That's a deal breaker (not to mention a smaller button would be harder to press). Even with the current size of the button it's only few millimeters below the screen and is already interfering with the swipe gesture for Control Center. A smaller button going closer to the screen would make things way worse.

I just can't help but think the home button would go or would change significantly. Everything points that way to me.

I made this thread to challenge my idea and if somebody has a better supposition of how things are going to turn out, I'd be glad to read it.

Highrisedrifter

Sep 19, 2012
Visit site
A couple of really great posts there, Metro. Thanks for taking the time to write those.

One thing to add, and it's playing devil's advocate slightly here, if the current situation is as you state:

Metro1088 said:
Even with the current size of the button it's only few millimeters below the screen and is already interfering with the swipe gesture for Control Center. A smaller button going closer to the screen would make things way worse.

I'm still using an iPhone 5 and don't have this 'mis-swipe' issue at all so maybe it's a greater problem on the 5S. However, if my thinking is correct, surely a touch sensitive panel in the same place would cause even more problems and instances of people hitting that by accident instead of swiping up for the CP? Currently there is a physical button that needs to be depressed, which whilst close to the screen still means that someone has to press slightly harder to activate it. A touch panel wouldn't even have that and would be far far easier to accidentally activate. As I said, I don't have an iPhone 5S so maybe this is a greater issue on that.

Metro1088

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
A couple of really great posts there, Metro. Thanks for taking the time to write those.

One thing to add, and it's playing devil's advocate slightly here, if the current situation is as you state:

I'm still using an iPhone 5 and don't have this 'mis-swipe' issue at all so maybe it's a greater problem on the 5S. However, if my thinking is correct, surely a touch sensitive panel in the same place would cause even more problems and instances of people hitting that by accident instead of swiping up for the CP? Currently there is a physical button that needs to be depressed, which whilst close to the screen still means that someone has to press slightly harder to activate it. A touch panel wouldn't even have that and would be far far easier to accidentally activate. As I said, I don't have an iPhone 5S so maybe this is a greater issue on that.

Excellent point, Highrisedrifter. I hadn't thought about that.

It could work by a software tweak where the OS can differentiate wether it's a tap or a swipe as it is on the Android phones with virtual keys. Tap the home button and you're home. Swipe from the home button up and you're in Google now. Worked fine for me.

The thing is Apple hasn't done touch sensitive surface in stead of a button for a long time. I think some iPods had that. And it's very Samsung-y. So I could still pretty much be wrong but then again there's where thought leads me to.

Sent from my iPhone using iMore Forums

meashishnd

Jul 11, 2013
Visit site
It could work by a software tweak where the OS can differentiate wether it's a tap or a swipe as it is on the Android phones with virtual keys. Tap the home button and you're home. Swipe from the home button up and you're in Google now. Worked fine for me.
The thing is Apple hasn't done touch sensitive surface in stead of a button for a long time. I think some iPods had that. And it's very Samsung-y. So I could still pretty much be wrong but then again there's where thought leads me to.

Hi Bro. Just FYI click thiz threads 4 more n never imagine mockups & prototyope
http://forums.imore.com/iphone-6/274218-iphone-6-beautiful-concept-called-iphone-air.html
http://forums.imore.com/iphone-6/273770-new-iphone-6c-concepts-features-curved-display-video.html
http://forums.imore.com/iphone-6/272448-iphone6-bold-black-superb-silver-just-imagine.html
http://forums.imore.com/iphone-6/272265-iphone6-gold-edition-want-wait.html

Highrisedrifter

Sep 19, 2012
Visit site

True but it would need to be a good software tweak to differentiate between the initial tap for home and the initial tap that precedes the slide. I've no doubt at all that it can be done but it's more down to training the user at this point I think.

Thinking about this, if I am in a rush, I do get this issue on my HTC One which doesn't have any physical buttons at all

EmceeGeek

Dec 1, 2010
Visit site
I have to say, this is a well thought out post. I like seeing member interaction like this!

Sent from my [Gold] iPhone 5S

Metro1088

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
The latest rumors point that the crystal sapphire screens would be used for the phablet only while the direct successor of the iPhone (that 4.5" - 4.7" device that will carry the iPhone brand) could still use Gorilla Glass. It makes sense because producing so many front panels for two categories of devices made with a new technology sounds almost impossible. Look at Touch ID, for example. A new technology that is not yet produced on such a large scale and that is why only the iPhone got it. A new phone that would sell in tens of millions and a second device (the phablet for Asian markets) that would also sell in tens of millions - I highly doubt the number sapphire crystal displays would suffice for both categories.

This leads to the 4.7" iPhone having a home button with Touch ID while my suppositions in this thread could turn out to be the 5.5" plablet. Bu then again - how do you make a 4.7" phone with those thick bezels and not look dated?

So many pieces, so many clues.

boovish

Jul 23, 2012
Visit site
No, they would never do anything like this. Especially not making the bezels even smaller. You're just describing some sort of android device

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FMHPro