Hey I'm just wondering what everyone's thoughts are on this. do you think that Apple will join their nemesis samsung in the expandable memory area or do you think they will continue making memory specific devices? I personally think that it would be neat if Apple provided apple memory cards as a person needs it.

Sent from my iPhone 5s.
    02-18-2014 08:27 PM
    Hard to tell what direction they will go in. But memory cards, I don't see that happening any time soon.
    Tartarus likes this.
    02-18-2014 08:41 PM
    If they do that then they may as well do removable batteries which I don't see happening at all. I'd rather Apple get rid of the 16gb iphone and put the 32gb in it's place and bring out a 128gb iphone.
    02-18-2014 09:00 PM
    If they do that then they may as well do removable batteries which I don't see happening at all. I'd rather Apple get rid of the 16gb iphone and put the 32gb in it's place and bring out a 128gb iphone.
    See I was thinking memory cards slide in a side holster like the SIM card... I dunno I think it would be a cool idea. 128 gig even a 160 gig would be an amazing option

Sent from my iPhone 5s.
    02-18-2014 09:18 PM
    Agreed. The 16GB models should be retired and 32GB should be the new standard.

Sent from something awesome using Tapatalk.
    deadp1xel and the_tech_eater like this.
    02-18-2014 09:23 PM
    I don't mind 16 gigs they serve their purpose... I always use a 16 phone and 64 gig iPod for the most part.

Sent from my iPhone 5s.
    02-18-2014 09:39 PM
    While I see the appeal, I don't think it will happen. Apple doesn't want to deal with the added complexities with people reformatting the cards and losing data or getting slow cards and complaining about phone performance.
    taz323, iOS Gravity and Tartarus like this.
    02-18-2014 10:04 PM
    Nope not going to happen. Too much risk and potential for profit loss, along with faulty SD cards, losing data etc. Plus apple makes $$$ on getting people to buy larger storage devices. If they add external storage, people will buy the lowest model and buy a cheap $5-$10 SD card and be set, without needing to spend another $100 for a larger storage iPhone.
    Last edited by Premium1; 02-19-2014 at 07:56 PM.
    02-18-2014 10:07 PM
    Agreed. The 16GB models should be retired and 32GB should be the new standard.

Sent from something awesome using Tapatalk.
    Agree. 16gb is too small in this day and age. Make 32gb the lowest model, like Samsung, Htc and lg are doing with many of their models.
    02-18-2014 10:08 PM
    Nope not going to happen.
    THIS^^^....
    I don't see the memory cards happening. I also have no problem with a 16gb device.

Sent from my iPhone using iMore Forums mobile app
    Tartarus likes this.
    While I see the appeal, I don't think it will happen. Apple doesn't want to deal with the added complexities with people reformatting the cards and losing data or getting slow cards and complaining about phone performance.
    Yeah, I'm with Karen on this…
    iOS Gravity likes this.
    02-18-2014 10:10 PM
    I don't see the memory cards happening. I also have no problem with a 16gb device.

Sent from my iPhone using iMore Forums mobile app
    I get what you're saying and understand not everyone needs more then 16gb, but eliminating the 16gb model would only benefit everyone. Consumer's who need 32gb+ will pretty much be saving $100, or by spending that $100 they can further double their storage, and 16gb user's will be getting double the space for the same amount they would have spent regardless. Always better to have extra space and not need it, then need it and not have it right?
    Premium1 likes this.
    02-18-2014 10:14 PM
    I get what you're saying and understand not everyone needs more then 16gb, but eliminating the 16gb model would only benefit everyone. Consumer's who need 32gb+ will pretty much be saving $100, or by spending that $100 they can further double their storage, and 16gb user's will be getting double the space for the same amount they would have spent regardless. Always better to have extra space and not need it, then need it and not have it right?
    That is a solid point

Sent from my iPhone 5s.
    02-18-2014 10:19 PM
    Nope. Almost every other phone manufacturer is leaving expandable storage. It would be dumb for apple to follow a dying trend.

Sent from my iPad using iMore Forums
    Tartarus and calicokitten like this.
    02-18-2014 10:20 PM
    Never going to happen.
    Tartarus likes this.
    02-18-2014 10:34 PM
    I really really doubt that.

It would be great to retire the 16GB versions though. I'm not an iPhone user btw. I was and I LOVED my 5 but that's where I went wrong, I went with 16GB. I have a WP now but my options are now open to any of these operating system giants. I am eyeing on the iPhone 6 as my next upgrade when my contract expires. Nothing beats the iPhone for music integration.

I have an 80GB music library and SD cards are important for me. I'm finding my 32 GB Lumia 920 too little now as well. It's either a 64GB iPhone or a WP with expandable storage for my next upgrade!
    02-19-2014 07:17 AM
    Hey I'm just wondering what everyone's thoughts are on this. do you think that Apple will join their nemesis samsung in the expandable memory area or do you think they will continue making memory specific devices? I personally think that it would be neat if Apple provided apple memory cards as a person needs it.

Sent from my iPhone 5s.
    The chances of this happening are no more and no less than 0.0%.
    mountainman likes this.
    02-19-2014 08:50 AM
    Yeah no won't happen. People buying 16 gigs then buying a 32 when they run out of room is a cash cow.

Sent from my iPhone 5s.
    02-19-2014 10:42 AM
    Expandable memory via SD card is an obsolete design choice that needs to go. Especially in the premium segment of a market where Apple is currently situated.

Purchasing SD cards, swapping them, opening and closing your card tray, managing types of storage in the OS - they are all parts of a bad and cluncky user experience. It's a chore that shouldn't be brought back to life.

And this is just the consumer-facing disadvantages. Apple would also suffer from such a choice - nobody would be buying the 32gb and 64 gb options. And Apple would be dependent on the quality of SD cards to provide a fluid user experience. let's face it - that should never happen. A 64-bit A7 chip shouldn't be working with a terribly slow cheap low-end SD card.

The whole SD card thing works to cut some cost on the expense of user experience. Apple doesn't ever cut those corners and that is the reason why most of us are buying their products.
    02-19-2014 12:19 PM
    Expandable memory via SD card is an obsolete design choice that needs to go. Especially in the premium segment of a market where Apple is currently situated.

Purchasing SD cards, swapping them, opening and closing your card tray, managing types of storage in the OS - they are all parts of a bad and cluncky user experience. It's a chore that shouldn't be brought back to life.

And this is just the consumer-facing disadvantages. Apple would also suffer from such a choice - nobody would be buying the 32gb and 64 gb options. And Apple would be dependent on the quality of SD cards to provide a fluid user experience. let's face it - that should never happen. A 64-bit A7 chip shouldn't be working with a terribly slow cheap low-end SD card.

The whole SD card thing works to cut some cost on the expense of user experience. Apple doesn't ever cut those corners and that is the reason why most of us are buying their products.
    I agree

Never was a fan of SD cards in phones you loss them erase them have to juggle data around that's what the cloud is for any way

Sent from my iPhone 5s Gold 64GB
    02-19-2014 02:26 PM
    I do love my SD cards for my Android phones. It makes my transition and rolling though models, seamless.

However I'm a tech geek and have screwed up a small ton of cards. For the average user, this fact would be highly unnerving...

Apple is doing the right thing, they just need to up the standard and drop 16GB from the lineup.
    njshoregurlz, kataran and Abk92 like this.
    02-19-2014 02:51 PM
    Yeah you guys raised a lot of good points I never thought of before

Sent from my iPhone 5s.
    02-19-2014 05:00 PM

Great points.

I always smile when I hear an Android user complaining that their phone corrupted their micro-USB card and they lost all this stuff. I LOL when those same people then complain that the Nexus 5 still has no removable storage.
    njshoregurlz likes this.
    02-19-2014 07:01 PM
    I think it would be a great idea if apple can put expandable memory in their phones but I don't think they would be doing that with the iphone 6 or whatever it will be called

Sent from my iPad using iMore Forums mobile app
    02-19-2014 10:14 PM
39 12