iPhone 6 with expandable memory?

HAWK

Oct 24, 2013
Visit site
Hey I'm just wondering what everyone's thoughts are on this. do you think that Apple will join their nemesis samsung in the expandable memory area or do you think they will continue making memory specific devices? I personally think that it would be neat if Apple provided apple memory cards as a person needs it.

Sent from my iPhone 5s.

Beyond Fire

Nov 23, 2012
Visit site
If they do that then they may as well do removable batteries which I don't see happening at all. I'd rather Apple get rid of the 16gb iphone and put the 32gb in it's place and bring out a 128gb iphone.

HAWK

Oct 24, 2013
Visit site
If they do that then they may as well do removable batteries which I don't see happening at all. I'd rather Apple get rid of the 16gb iphone and put the 32gb in it's place and bring out a 128gb iphone.

See I was thinking memory cards slide in a side holster like the SIM card... I dunno I think it would be a cool idea. 128 gig even a 160 gig would be an amazing option

Sent from my iPhone 5s.

Jan 20, 2014
Visit site

Agreed. The 16GB models should be retired and 32GB should be the new standard.

Sent from something awesome using Tapatalk.

HAWK

Oct 24, 2013
Visit site
I don't mind 16 gigs they serve their purpose... I always use a 16 phone and 64 gig iPod for the most part.

Sent from my iPhone 5s.

Premium1

Trusted Member
Aug 17, 2011
Visit site
Nope not going to happen. Too much risk and potential for profit loss, along with faulty SD cards, losing data etc. Plus apple makes $$$ on getting people to buy larger storage devices. If they add external storage, people will buy the lowest model and buy a cheap $5-$10 SD card and be set, without needing to spend another $100 for a larger storage iPhone.

Last edited:

Premium1

Trusted Member
Aug 17, 2011
Visit site
Agreed. The 16GB models should be retired and 32GB should be the new standard.

Sent from something awesome using Tapatalk.

Agree. 16gb is too small in this day and age. Make 32gb the lowest model, like Samsung, Htc and lg are doing with many of their models.

pr1nce

Dec 3, 2012
Visit site
I don't see the memory cards happening. I also have no problem with a 16gb device.

Sent from my iPhone using iMore Forums mobile app

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
While I see the appeal, I don't think it will happen. Apple doesn't want to deal with the added complexities with people reformatting the cards and losing data or getting slow cards and complaining about phone performance.

Yeah, I'm with Karen on this…:)

Beyond Fire

Nov 23, 2012
Visit site
I don't see the memory cards happening. I also have no problem with a 16gb device.

Sent from my iPhone using iMore Forums mobile app

I get what you're saying and understand not everyone needs more then 16gb, but eliminating the 16gb model would only benefit everyone. Consumer's who need 32gb+ will pretty much be saving $100, or by spending that $100 they can further double their storage, and 16gb user's will be getting double the space for the same amount they would have spent regardless. Always better to have extra space and not need it, then need it and not have it right?

HAWK

Oct 24, 2013
Visit site
I get what you're saying and understand not everyone needs more then 16gb, but eliminating the 16gb model would only benefit everyone. Consumer's who need 32gb+ will pretty much be saving $100, or by spending that $100 they can further double their storage, and 16gb user's will be getting double the space for the same amount they would have spent regardless. Always better to have extra space and not need it, then need it and not have it right?

That is a solid point

Sent from my iPhone 5s.

the_tech_eater

Jul 24, 2013
Visit site
Nope. Almost every other phone manufacturer is leaving expandable storage. It would be dumb for apple to follow a dying trend.

Sent from my iPad using iMore Forums

jomarr

Feb 18, 2013
Visit site
I really really doubt that.

It would be great to retire the 16GB versions though. I'm not an iPhone user btw. I was and I LOVED my 5 but that's where I went wrong, I went with 16GB. I have a WP now but my options are now open to any of these operating system giants. I am eyeing on the iPhone 6 as my next upgrade when my contract expires. Nothing beats the iPhone for music integration.

I have an 80GB music library and SD cards are important for me. I'm finding my 32 GB Lumia 920 too little now as well. It's either a 64GB iPhone or a WP with expandable storage for my next upgrade!

sting7k

Dec 15, 2008
Visit site
Hey I'm just wondering what everyone's thoughts are on this. do you think that Apple will join their nemesis samsung in the expandable memory area or do you think they will continue making memory specific devices? I personally think that it would be neat if Apple provided apple memory cards as a person needs it.

Sent from my iPhone 5s.

The chances of this happening are no more and no less than 0.0%.

I BEN I

Feb 15, 2014
Visit site
Yeah no won't happen. People buying 16 gigs then buying a 32 when they run out of room is a cash cow.

Sent from my iPhone 5s.

Metro1088

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
Expandable memory via SD card is an obsolete design choice that needs to go. Especially in the premium segment of a market where Apple is currently situated.

Purchasing SD cards, swapping them, opening and closing your card tray, managing types of storage in the OS - they are all parts of a bad and cluncky user experience. It's a chore that shouldn't be brought back to life.

And this is just the consumer-facing disadvantages. Apple would also suffer from such a choice - nobody would be buying the 32gb and 64 gb options. And Apple would be dependent on the quality of SD cards to provide a fluid user experience. let's face it - that should never happen. A 64-bit A7 chip shouldn't be working with a terribly slow cheap low-end SD card.

The whole SD card thing works to cut some cost on the expense of user experience. Apple doesn't ever cut those corners and that is the reason why most of us are buying their products.

kataran

Ambassador
Mar 11, 2013
Visit site
Expandable memory via SD card is an obsolete design choice that needs to go. Especially in the premium segment of a market where Apple is currently situated.

Purchasing SD cards, swapping them, opening and closing your card tray, managing types of storage in the OS - they are all parts of a bad and cluncky user experience. It's a chore that shouldn't be brought back to life.

And this is just the consumer-facing disadvantages. Apple would also suffer from such a choice - nobody would be buying the 32gb and 64 gb options. And Apple would be dependent on the quality of SD cards to provide a fluid user experience. let's face it - that should never happen. A 64-bit A7 chip shouldn't be working with a terribly slow cheap low-end SD card.

The whole SD card thing works to cut some cost on the expense of user experience. Apple doesn't ever cut those corners and that is the reason why most of us are buying their products.

I agree

Never was a fan of SD cards in phones you loss them erase them have to juggle data around that's what the cloud is for any way

Sent from my iPhone 5s Gold 64GB