4.8" screen for the next iPhone?? *rumor*

joemd60

Feb 22, 2013
Visit site
A bigger screen may keep me from going back to Android. I will add though, I had the Note 2. Nice phone, but it was too big at times. And people would give you strange looks, when on a call. 😀

morrisbuttermaker

Jan 25, 2012
Visit site
I don't mind the actual screen getting bigger...I just don't want the phone to grow that much. Wonder how much the hardware will grow to compensate ?

Sent from my iPhone using iMore Forums mobile app

smelton3

Dec 12, 2013
Visit site
4.8 sounds like a great size for me - this is why I didn't us my upgrade on the 5s

Totally agree. Bought my 5s off contract on a whim. I figure the next one will be the larger size I've been hoping for. For me a larger phone would probably allow me to not rely on my iPad for streaming video and reading. The larger phone would be an "all in one" device, I would probably transition out of the iPad. Save some money each year for sure.

Sent from my Golden 64 GB iPhone 5s. Or my AT&T iPad Air. White of course.

George Jenkinson

Jul 2, 2013
Visit site
Maybe Apple will be more conservative because they may not wish to upset their core customers?

A lot of people called for a "cheaper" iPhone, but the 5c has done poorly in sales. A lot of people have been calling for a bigger screen, if it arrives, will it sell?

Applying this to screen size, maybe they'll add just 0.5 inch. Afterall that's what they've done in the passed and as a company that sells itself as an innovator, they'd look a bit daft if they jumped in to the same market as everyone else with same-sized-screens...that's copying, not innovating.

Haseeb Rehman

May 5, 2013
Visit site
This is a good move and probably a BOOOYA! on the android phablet lovers. My friends used to tease me about how small the iPhone 5 is. And now I think apple is seriously goin' to nail it with the bigger screen option for some huge screen lovers.

But still, I'd rather buy an iPhone 5S instead of an over-sized iPhone.

finn5975

Banned
Sep 13, 2012
Visit site
Folks need to calm down. Even if there are larger screen options coming, no one knows how Apple will implement it regarding design. How can anyone be so dead-set against something they have not even seen, felt, used, etc? If indeed a 4.whatever inch screen or a 5.whatever inch screen device(s) is released, reserve judgement until then. My hope, and it is merely a hope, is that Apple will continue to value the one-handed use the same way they have in the past. Whether by designing a larger screened device that maintains the ability to use one-handed, or, but offering a larger screened device 'in addition to' an offering similar to what we are using today.
We will all know the answers soon enough. My impatience depicts that I will continue to read the 'leaks' hoping for that snippet of truth. But let's be real here.....99% of what is 'leaking' is b.s. designed to get website clicks. That 99% is likely an understatement. If we take everything with the necessary grain of salt, we will run out of salt.

Last edited:

finn5975

Banned
Sep 13, 2012
Visit site

In the 2013 4th quarter alone, withhout the agreement with China Mobile in place, an estimated 55.3 million people would seemingly disagree with your sentiment.

iPhone 5S vs. 5C Comparison: Flagship Consuming Data at 'Unprecedented' Level, Study Finds (Video) : Technology : Design & Trend

Premium1

Trusted Member
Aug 17, 2011
Visit site
Maybe Apple will be more conservative because they may not wish to upset their core customers?

A lot of people called for a "cheaper" iPhone, but the 5c has done poorly in sales. A lot of people have been calling for a bigger screen, if it arrives, will it sell?

Applying this to screen size, maybe they'll add just 0.5 inch. Afterall that's what they've done in the passed and as a company that sells itself as an innovator, they'd look a bit daft if they jumped in to the same market as everyone else with same-sized-screens...that's copying, not innovating.

If they make a larger screen, I guarantee they will sell a ton. Many people have waited to switch for a larger iPhone and remember how many said they wouldn't upgrade to the 5 if it was indeed larger than the 4s and look how well that sold. People like to say they won't buy it, but they will be the first ones lining up come launch time.

Premium1

Trusted Member
Aug 17, 2011
Visit site
In the 2013 4th quarter alone, withhout the agreement with China Mobile in place, an estimated 55.3 million people would seemingly disagree with your sentiment.

iPhone 5S vs. 5C Comparison: Flagship Consuming Data at 'Unprecedented' Level, Study Finds (Video) : Technology : Design & Trend

You also have to take into account that is the only option iPhone users have. If they *had* a larger screened device I think they would be selling as much/if not more than the current smaller phone. It's hard to compare when there is no larger iPhone to see if they would sell or if iPhone users want a larger screen.

finn5975

Banned
Sep 13, 2012
Visit site
You also have to take into account that is the only option iPhone users have. If they *had* a larger screened device I think they would be selling as much/if not more than the current smaller phone. It's hard to compare when there is no larger iPhone to see if they would sell or if iPhone users want a larger screen.

I don't disagreee that they would sell a ton of the larger screened phones. I myself am in the camp that desires a larger screen option. But at the same time I don't agree that it would be 'wasting time producing any phone under 5 inches'. That is what my reply was geared towards.

Premium1

Trusted Member
Aug 17, 2011
Visit site
I don't disagreee that they would sell a ton of the larger screened phones. I myself am in the camp that desires a larger screen option. But at the same time I don't agree that it would be 'wasting time producing any phone under 5 inches'. That is what my reply was geared towards.

Oh I agree. I think having 2 options would be good. Keep the 5S for the 4" screen and then have the new larger screen device as well.

Highrisedrifter

Sep 19, 2012
Visit site
Oh I agree. I think having 2 options would be good. Keep the 5S for the 4" screen and then have the new larger screen device as well.

Although I can't see the future (my wife does that for me) I would like it if Apple decided to continue forward with two screen sizes for future iterations of the device. Keep the 4" screen for those that want it and provide a larger-screened option for those that want that. One can but hope.

anon(8221395)

Nov 6, 2013
Visit site
I wonder how the new screen sizes will effect apps and of course app developers. They will have to optimize all their apps to fit the new screen sizes just like when the iPhone 5 came out. But with two different sizes coming out at the same time that means they'll have to optimize iPhone apps for 3 possibly even 4 different sizes if they want to still cater to iPhone 4/4s's.

acerace113

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
I wonder how the new screen sizes will effect apps and of course app developers. They will have to optimize all their apps to fit the new screen sizes just like when the iPhone 5 came out. But with two different sizes coming out at the same time that means they'll have to optimize iPhone apps for 3 possibly even 4 different sizes if they want to still cater to iPhone 4/4s's.

Most likely apps will just "scale" to the screen resolution

Sent from my 5th gen iPod touch or iPhone 5S using Tapatalk

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smitty22d2