"Grass isn't always greener syndrome"...what if the iphone 6 grows....

finn5975

Banned
Sep 13, 2012
Visit site
We aren't quite 4 months into the life of the 5S and of course the rumors are flying regarding the next iphone. For the sake of discussion we'll refer to it as the iphone 6. Knowing rumors are, rumors, I have been thinking about life with a larger iphone. We have heard everything from 4.5" to nearly 6". I have been vocal in stating my preference for a larger screen. I salivate at the thought of watching videos, looking at pictures, browsing the web, etc on a big beautiful screen while maintaining my preferred IOS operating system. The proposition of a larger screened iphone is a dream come true!! Or is it....

Lately I have been noticing how silly, to me, some of these larger devices appear when someone holds it to their ear, pulls it from their pocket, sets it on the bar/table, etc. Lately I have noticed just how pocketable my "tiny" iphone is, how nice it feels in the hand, how easy it is to use one-handed, and how obscure I can make it appear when using it in public.

The most exciting thing from a tech standpoint for me in 2014 will be seeing what the next iphone looks like. If it is indeed larger, how "much" larger will it be? Will it still be the things I mention above? What will be sacrificed to obtain that larger screen. Will Apple find a way to marry everything in a package that blows us away, the way they have so many times before? Will the 4" option in a device cease to exist?

With all of that babble above, my question to you is this. Is there anyone who will jump ship to another platform if the smallest iphone is 4.7"? We have heard from all of the folks who cannot wait for a larger iphone. But how about the prospect of defecting? WIll this be you? I will stick around regardless. My love for IOS is strong as ever. But I am starting to wonder....should I have been careful what I wished for :)

AgentHeracles

Sep 7, 2011
Visit site
Good question's. I believe they just might make it 4.5" if not 5". That is the butter zone I believe for phone sizes. I use a holster always to help protect the screen from scratches. While waiting in line for my 5s I played with the Droid Maxx and even played Candy Crush Saga which they had installed and I feel that that was the biggest any phone should be. The reasoning behind bigger screens is simple more screen real estate more readability even with games like Bejeweled Blitz.

People were upset when they only increased it by .5", but the reasoning is sound. That reasoning being: "We don't want the older apps/games that you still use to be too small if they aren't updated to the new screen." I for one am glad for this because some stuff is only updated for phone specs not screen but they are still very usable.

So in that regard: I am sticking with my: 4S > 5S>6?

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
Excellent point of view, Finn. I'll respond in this manner: I like the iPhone, and liked it when it was only available with a 3.5 inch display, however, I've also stated on numerous occasions, especially when I switched back to an iPhone from an Android device, that I wouldn't mind it having a larger display around the size of the EVO 4G. I now use an iPhone 5 and the display size is not a problem for me. I could care less about what other people think in regard to how large a phone looks when held to the ear. I remember years ago when I had my Blackberry 7290, people would make comments here and there about how it looked like I was holding a brick to my ear, and yet, those same people often asked to use that brick to make calls to someone. Apple is very good in regard to design, and I'd like to think that if it indeed introduces an iPhone larger than its iPhone 5 models, it will not look displeasing or awkward when held to the ear. Still, we'll know soon enough...:)

taz323

Mar 10, 2013
Visit site
Thank you, good view, I like the size of my 5 and it works perfect for me. But I would be a little interested to see maybe a 4.5.

Premium1

Trusted Member
Aug 17, 2011
Visit site
We aren't quite 4 months into the life of the 5S and of course the rumors are flying regarding the next iphone. For the sake of discussion we'll refer to it as the iphone 6. Knowing rumors are, rumors, I have been thinking about life with a larger iphone. We have heard everything from 4.5" to nearly 6". I have been vocal in stating my preference for a larger screen. I salivate at the thought of watching videos, looking at pictures, browsing the web, etc on a big beautiful screen while maintaining my preferred IOS operating system. The proposition of a larger screened iphone is a dream come true!! Or is it....

Lately I have been noticing how silly, to me, some of these larger devices appear when someone holds it to their ear, pulls it from their pocket, sets it on the bar/table, etc. Lately I have noticed just how pocketable my "tiny" iphone is, how nice it feels in the hand, how easy it is to use one-handed, and how obscure I can make it appear when using it in public.

The most exciting thing from a tech standpoint for me in 2014 will be seeing what the next iphone looks like. If it is indeed larger, how "much" larger will it be? Will it still be the things I mention above? What will be sacrificed to obtain that larger screen. Will Apple find a way to marry everything in a package that blows us away, the way they have so many times before? Will the 4" option in a device cease to exist?

With all of that babble above, my question to you is this. Is there anyone who will jump ship to another platform if the smallest iphone is 4.7"? We have heard from all of the folks who cannot wait for a larger iphone. But how about the prospect of defecting? WIll this be you? I will stick around regardless. My love for IOS is strong as ever. But I am starting to wonder....should I have been careful what I wished for :)

Honestly even if they make it 5" it won't be that large. I am not a huge person (5'7) and I was easily able to use the s4 with its 5" screen and it was also very pocketable. Even the note line is very pocketable unless you are wearing skinny jeans. There is a lot of wasted space on the iPhone that could be shrunken or removed to accommodate for the larger screen. Believe me apple isn't going to make it hard to use/pocket because that has always been one of their talking points.

jsntrenkler

Trusted Member
Mar 9, 2010
Visit site
I am glad that you mentioned this ... Screen Size has been my primary issues with the iPhone's since the larger screen devices have come out. However I couldn't agree more, it is nice to be able to carry this device comfortably in my pocket. Also love being able to text with one hand.

kataran

Ambassador
Mar 11, 2013
Visit site
Jumping ship doesn't cross my mind I just jumped on the ship due to my old OS sinking like the Concordia

As far as a larger screen I was worried the i5 screen was to big but found it just right I will stay with my i5s if the 6 is bigger but will remain an Apple user

Sent from my iPhone 5s Gold 64GB

Spencerdl

Apple Watch Champion
Jan 10, 2013
Visit site
Very good point of view and well written. I totally agree with a lot thats been said in this thread towards larger screen size and keeping the 5s. I guess time will tell how the "new" iphone will actually look, but until then I'm going to ENJOY my iPhone Gold 5s

Premium1

Trusted Member
Aug 17, 2011
Visit site
Maybe that's true of men's jeans. See my post above about fitting the current size phone into my non-skinny women's jeans. And S4 or Note would definitely not fit in my current size let alone my size when I finish losing weight.

I see women all the time with their s3/s4 and notes fitting in their pockets so not sure why exactly you have issues fitting it in a pocket but like I said they don't have to make the phone much larger. The moto x with 4.7 screen is barely larger than the iPhone. There is a lot of wasted space on the iPhones which could be shrunken down to accommodate the larger screen.

Grabber5.0

Mar 13, 2013
Visit site
I see women all the time with their s3/s4 and notes fitting in their pockets so not sure why exactly you have issues fitting it in a pocket but like I said they don't have to make the phone much larger. The moto x with 4.7 screen is barely larger than the iPhone. There is a lot of wasted space on the iPhones which could be shrunken down to accommodate the larger screen.

She told us why: the pockets are smaller and it barely fits. ;)

swarlos

Trusted Member
Jun 24, 2012
Visit site
First off very nicely written Finn! Second the home button is a staple of the iPhone and now since TouchID has been introduced I don't see it going away anytime soon so the idea that they could shrink the iPhone because of wasted space isn't likely going to happen. I wouldn't consider jumping ship at all after trying to use Android on the Nexus 5 for a week and my past Android experiences so if Apple made a 5"+ iPhone I would be bummed out but would still rather use that then any Windows, Android or Blackberry phone.

Carried by a raven from the Wall.

kataran

Ambassador
Mar 11, 2013
Visit site
Front or back pockets? Slacks or jeans?
I've never seen a woman with an S3/4 in the front pocket of a pair of jeans. The issue with most women's jeans' pockets is that they are not as deep as men's jeans' pockets so the phone has to go in horizontally. With my jeans if I put it in vertically the top 1.25" of the phone sticks above the pocket opening. And horizontally it just barely fits into the width of the pocket.
As I said above I'm kinda in between sizes at the moment. Here is a photo of the jeans' pocket the phone needs to fit into. In this case it does fit, but as I lose weight the jeans and the pocket gets smaller (in width and height).
View attachment 46228

Is that a ruler in your pocket 😳

Nice jeans by the way. My girlfriend use to put her i4 in her back pocket now she has the i5 and I caution her to not do it afraid she will warp it

Sent from my iPhone 5s Gold 64GB

cgr1971

Mar 6, 2013
Visit site
I don't see why Apple can't have a couple different versions with different screen sizes. Keep the current 4" screen and add a 5", or maybe if the old rumor is true, have a 4", and add a 4.7", and a 5.7" to compete with the Galaxy Notes.

I ALWAYS use a holster so bigger won't affect me putting it in a pocket. I talk a lot on the phone and almost always use my blue tooth ear piece unless I am in public on a short call so holding a big phone to my head wouldn't happen often. I have been running a 5 for six months now and still don't like how narrow it is to type on. I think the Moto X is about perfect.

There is no perfect size since we all have different habits and usage patterns.

iOS Gravity

Sep 24, 2013
Visit site
Excellent point of view, Finn. I'll respond in this manner: I like the iPhone, and liked it when it was only available with a 3.5 inch display, however, I've also stated on numerous occasions, especially when I switched back to an iPhone from an Android device, that I wouldn't mind it having a larger display around the size of the EVO 4G. I now use an iPhone 5 and the display size is not a problem for me. I could care less about what other people think in regard to how large a phone looks when held to the ear. I remember years ago when I had my Blackberry 7290, people would make comments here and there about how it looked like I was holding a brick to my ear, and yet, those same people often asked to use that brick to make calls to someone. Apple is very good in regard to design, and I'd like to think that if it indeed introduces an iPhone larger than its iPhone 5 models, it will not look displeasing or awkward when held to the ear. Still, we'll know soon enough...:)

Excellent point of view D. I agree with you a hundred percent on this one. I think the size of phones are coming full circle. They started out humongous and it will turn out that way too. :D Although it will be funny when in the near future someone will have to carry the phone around like a backpack.

Speedygi

Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
I have always maintained that people who love iOS aren't really in it for any form of screen size preferences. It's almost always about how they love the apps and the OS itself. I think many people would embrace the 4.5 inch screen once they come out, and it would be an easy deal.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

Premium1

Trusted Member
Aug 17, 2011
Visit site
I have always maintained that people who love iOS aren't really in it for any form of screen size preferences. It's almost always about how they love the apps and the OS itself. I think many people would embrace the 4.5 inch screen once they come out, and it would be an easy deal.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

Agree. People are against it because apple hasn't done it yet. I can guarantee as soon as they come out with a larger screened iPhone everyone will love it and not understand how they went without the added screen real estate

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gokox