If the rumored size changes are true, what is your preference...4.7" or 5.7"?

Which size will you choose?

• 4.7"

Votes: 77 81.1%
  • 5.7"

Votes: 18 18.9%

• Total voters

iRiidium

Jan 8, 2014
Visit site
I'm pretty sure it's going to be around 4.7". If there is a 5.5" phablet, it would definitely be a totally new category.

Nobody sane would replace a 4" device category with a 5.5" one. It would be suicide. Imagine Samsung discontinuing its entire galaxy S series and instead produce only galaxy notes. For Apple it's even worse. The difference between a 4" screen form factor and a 5.5" one is so vast a gap and replacing one of them with the other would result in the destruction of a whole category - in this case that is the iPhone as we know it.

A phablet does not replace a smartphone just like that. In the Android world that happens gradually. 0.2 inches every year. The only company that really jumped the inches is Nokia. From 4.5" directly to 6". And they haven't got much to lose or destroy anyway.

Even if we see a phablet from Apple, I highly doubt that it would be the only new device. The current iPhone needs a successor that would remain in the same category. I made a thread about how I think the iPhone 6 would look like and 4.5" - 4.8" sounds reasonable.

Sent from my iPhone using iMore Forums

I think we'll either see the iPhone's size increase by a small or amount or Apple will introduce at least two devices with one of them having a notably larger screen. It would be nice to see Apple roll with 3 devices. A mini, the 4", and the larger 5"+. We have a long time to chat about it if they keep to their recent schedule.

Sent from my liberated iridium rMini LTE

anon6040766

Oct 22, 2013
Visit site
Apple is as innovative as it gets. They must find a way to increase screen size without drastically increasing the phone.

Example: move front facing camera to the side and ear speaker up. Then remove home key. That would add about 0.5 inches alone too the screen. Instead the home key you could double tap screen or swipe like Magic Mouse.

Sent from my iPhone 5s on VZW from Philly

iRiidium

Jan 8, 2014
Visit site
Apple is as innovative as it gets. They must find a way to increase screen size without drastically increasing the phone.

Example: move front facing camera to the side and ear speaker up. Then remove home key. That would add about 0.5 inches alone too the screen. Instead the home key you could double tap screen or swipe like Magic Mouse.

They better not even joke about getting rid of a Touch ID. Also, we don't need just a taller screen, we need a taller AND wider screen.

Sent from my liberated plutonium 5s 64

anon6040766

Oct 22, 2013
Visit site
They better not even joke about getting rid of a Touch ID. Also, we don't need just a taller screen, we need a taller AND wider screen.

Sent from my liberated plutonium 5s 64

Totally agree, the touch ID could be on the glass. That's how most scanners are any way. Also agree with taller and wider as well.

I think there should be like a 6c as I described previously and then a high end 6s vastly bigger, but I'll be honest. Used the 5 inch BlackBerry Z30 for months. Loved the phone screen size, but the phone itself was so large. It's just my opinion.

Maybe give 6c a 0.5 increase and the 6s a 1.0 increase, but still think the focus should be screen size without make phone enormous.

Highrisedrifter

Sep 19, 2012
Visit site
I honestly don't think they will get rid of the home button, let alone TouchID (no chance there)

The reason being is that the home button is pretty much the most iconic thing about an iPhone, when seen from the front, and the one thing that differentiates it from any other device on the market. (I don't mean the fact that it has one but the fact of placement, size, shape and the look of it.)

If they removed the home button, regardless of whether they added the TouchID function to the screen, the device would lose the most iconic Apple styling cue and it would just make it some kind of homogenised device.

LCW

Jul 3, 2010
Visit site
Go big or go home... If Apple is to compete in the large screen smartphone game... they need to go BIG... bump up the 4.0 to 4.2-4.5.... then offer a MUTHA at 5.5+

The small incremental changes just don't make a big impact... no pun intended. ;)

Last edited:

cinematicme

Dec 10, 2013
Visit site
Go big of go home... If Apple is to compete in the large screen smartphone game... they need to go BIG... bump up the 4.0 to 4.2-4.5.... then offer a MUTHA at 5.5+

The small incremental changes just don't make a big impact... no pun intended. ;)

Apple doesn't need to compete in the Phablet market. 4.3 is the biggest jump you are going to see.

If they had a need to compete in the large screen phone game they would have already.

But they don't have to do anything because they have more money and credit then the US Government.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Les74

May 30, 2011
Visit site
Apple doesn't need to compete in the Phablet market. 4.3 is the biggest jump you are going to see.

If they had a need to compete in the large screen phone game they would have already.

But they don't have to do anything because they have more money and credit then the US Government.

Actually, they kinda do. Why leave a market open exclusively to your competitors? Besides, a ton of people would prefer a bigger screen. I know of several that would leave Android in a heartbeat if that were to happen.

Sent from my iPhone using iMore Forums app

cinematicme

Dec 10, 2013
Visit site
Actually, they kinda do. Why leave a market open exclusively to your competitors? Besides, a ton of people would prefer a bigger screen. I know of several that would leave Android in a heartbeat if that were to happen.

The actual data contradicts this. People with very large screens (ie 5" or larger) make up a small portion of smartphone users.

Apple doesn't compete in a market just because there's a market, it has to make sense for them, which entering the Phablet market really doesn't, that's what the iPad mini fills.

The smartphone market is the smartphone market, there is no division between phones of this size and that size.

Highrisedrifter

Sep 19, 2012
Visit site

Me for instance. I would ditch both my Android devices and my iPhone 5 and replace the three devices with two iPhone 6.

Les74

May 30, 2011
Visit site
The actual data contradicts this. People with very large screens (ie 5" or larger) make up a small portion of smartphone users.

Apple doesn't compete in a market just because there's a market, it has to make sense for them, which entering the Phablet market really doesn't, that's what the iPad mini fills.

The smartphone market is the smartphone market, there is no division between phones of this size and that size.

It's still a market that Apple isn't involved in whatsoever. I have serious doubts that they would just continue to let Samsung go on capitalizing it without dabbling in it at all.

cinematicme

Dec 10, 2013
Visit site
It's still a market that Apple isn't involved in whatsoever. I have serious doubts that they would just continue to let Samsung go on capitalizing it without dabbling in it at all.

Even with Samsung pushing phablets apple still makes more money. That's why I say they don't need to, it's not apples style.

Les74

May 30, 2011
Visit site
Even with Samsung pushing phablets apple still makes more money. That's why I say they don't need to, it's not apples style.

Styles change with times. If every company in the world stood still, we'd all still be watching black and white tvs. Not saying a bigger phone is for everyone, just saying that excluding that market would be silly....and if you believe rumors, Apple feels the same.

dkhmwilliams

May 10, 2013
Visit site
I love the video available at this link. If the phone is like that on release, I will be a very happy bunny indeed. Of course, all this is just conjecture and rumour built on supposition but it's fun to imagine nevertheless.

iPhone 6 Concept so Realistic You'll Think It's a Leak

It's a cool video but I would like to see more than that from the next iPhone. That barely catches up to the competition. I want to see them go for the lead on this next one.

Sent from my Nexus 5

Highrisedrifter

Sep 19, 2012
Visit site
It's a cool video but I would like to see more than that from the next iPhone. That barely catches up to the competition. I want to see them go for the lead on this next one.

Sent from my Nexus 5

Oh for definite. I think they have a real chance to mix things up quite a bit here and I really hope that Apple blow us away with their next iPhone. I've enjoyed all their keynotes up until now and even though some of the vocal press seem to come away from them with a sense that Apple are stagnating, I think the advent of a 64 bit OS means they are gearing up for something pretty impressive in the foreseeable future.

Fingers crossed anyway

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
waeriyadh