If the rumored size changes are true, what is your preference...4.7" or 5.7"?

Which size will you choose?

• 4.7"

Votes: 77 81.1%
  • 5.7"

Votes: 18 18.9%

• Total voters

Highrisedrifter

Sep 19, 2012
Visit site
5.7 is ridiculous... 2 of my coworkers have Note 3's.... Waaaaaay too big. Literally a small tablet.

My vote would 4.5-4.7

I have a Note 3 and you know what? You're right, it IS too big. I'd be happy with a device absolutely no bigger than 5" and 4.7" seems about right to me.

rja1966

Sep 23, 2012
Visit site
I've been putting off buying my first smartphone for months. Still itching to buy a 5s and have come close many times but I'm now holding out for a slightly larger screen (ageing eyesight !) but ideally would like maybe a very slightly larger phone but with borderless screen to maximise display area, not sure what size screen this could result in but I would still like the one handed use that the current iPhones offer.

Highrisedrifter

Sep 19, 2012
Visit site
I've been putting off buying my first smartphone for months. Still itching to buy a 5s and have come close many times but I'm now holding out for a slightly larger screen (ageing eyesight !) but ideally would like maybe a very slightly larger phone but with borderless screen to maximise display area, not sure what size screen this could result in but I would still like the one handed use that the current iPhones offer.

A lot of people have been echoing your feelings on here; myself included. I think they could get a 4.5" screen with a thinner bezel in a device that was extremely similar in size to the current 5s. It's all conjecture but here's hoping, anyway.

Jan 20, 2014
Visit site
Considering I've got a Note 3 and iPhone 5c, I'd go with the smallest size they'll make. I might just move to the 5s instead of 6.... As great as these huge phones are for Internet related activities, they aren't comfortable as a phone to me.

rja1966

Sep 23, 2012
Visit site
The balance I'm after is a phone that will offer me a good user experience visually when messaging or browsing but also it needs to comfortably fit in my pocket and every once in a while actually be used as a phone !
I do think I would feel silly walking around with a larger device stuck to my ear. If the 6 turns out to be too large I will have to dive in and grab a 5S while I still can. I'm reluctant to purchase one today in case the 6 turns out to be just what I'm looking for....

Highrisedrifter

Sep 19, 2012
Visit site
Considering I've got a Note 3 and iPhone 5c, I'd go with the smallest size they'll make. I might just move to the 5s instead of 6.... As great as these huge phones are for Internet related activities, they aren't comfortable as a phone to me.

Same as me. I have a Note 3, HTC One and iPhone 5. The Note has a great screen but it feels like I am holding a notepad to my ear when taking calls. The HTC is almost perfect at 4.7" screen but the form factor is still a little large. If Apple could get that 4.7" screen size in a smaller form factor I would drop Android like a hot stone and settle on the iOS ecosystem forever.

ces_garc94

Jan 31, 2014
Visit site
I'd really like to see a curved back on the next generation iPhone, sort of like the Htc One and the Moto x have! That would make for a comftorable hold and feel, and it would allow for a larger battery 👍

Sent from my iPhone using iMore Forums

Highrisedrifter

Sep 19, 2012
Visit site
I'd really like to see a curved back on the next generation iPhone, sort of like the Htc One and the Moto x have! That would make for a comftorable hold and feel, and it would allow for a larger battery ��

Please god no. The curved back on my HTC one is bloody awful. You can't put it down on a table and use it as it rocks from side to side when you press on-screen buttons near the edges. Whoever thought of that needs their head examining. The iPhone has a perfect form factor and I just hope they don't mess with it too much; maybe make it slightly bigger to incorporate a bigger screen, if anything.

iRiidium

Jan 8, 2014
Visit site
I think the iPhone 6 Pro should be 5" and the iPhone 6 and 6c should stick with a 4" screen.

Sent from my iridium iPad Air LTE 

iRiidium

Jan 8, 2014
Visit site
If they were to incorporate their usual upgrade of .5 inches, I'd be okay.

Hmmm...I think a full 1" in diagonal screen size would be nice. I don't want a new iPhone that is only taller but not wider. ...that may be an unpopular sentiment but hey.

acerace113

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
Hmmm...I think a full 1" in diagonal screen size would be nice. I don't want a new iPhone that is only taller but not wider. ...that may be an unpopular sentiment but hey.

Yea I don't think people would like a 21:9 screen ratio... But The Lord of the rings movies would look good on it with no black bars :D

Sent from my 5th gen iPod touch or iPhone 5S using Tapatalk

iEd

Banned
Jun 13, 2012
Visit site
I like the current size of the iPhone but if they increase it I'm good with that. I can't wait to see what Apple comes out with.

dkhmwilliams

May 10, 2013
Visit site
I will admit, I went to the AT&T store yesterday and looked at the Nokia Lumia 1520 and the screen size was very attractive. I look at screen size like a woman's breast size. Ideally, a perky C cup would be perfect. But when see a pair of double Ds, you can't help but drool.

Sent from my iPhone 5S. The "S" is for sexy.

cardfan

Oct 26, 2004
Visit site
To me, it's not just the size, but all the other things. Apple couldn't do a much bigger iphone in the past without screwing up all the apps. The iphone 5 was a modest increase and changed aspect ratio and there's still many apps out there not optimized for it but at least they're usable. Bigger changes would've made those apps look silly. Keep in mind the iphone 4 was 3:2 aspect ratio 3.5" screen with a color gamut similar to the ipad mini.

To go to 4.7" or 5.7" or whatever, the resolution must be increased significantly to meet retina standards. This isn't optional. There's no way Apple can release a bigger iphone with a worse screen. This doesn't mean adding pixels to change the aspect ratio like the iphone 5 got. This means something similar to iphone 3 to iphone 4 when the res doubled.

Once Apple makes that resolution increase (it's the biggest hurdle because it involved an interim step..changing the aspect ratio first..think iphone 5), then size doesn't matter too much. There can be multiple bigger sized phones that will all meet retina standards.

4.7 or 5.7? It depends in most part to how Apple goes about it. Will one be more "premium" than the other? Or similar to the ipads, will they both be much the same with just size being different? If they're exactly the same, then 4.7" sounds better. But as we saw with the ipads, they may not be "exactly" the same. The Air is slightly faster, has different screen tech, larger color gamut, and louder speakers. So again, it just depends.

Metro1088

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
I'm pretty sure it's going to be around 4.7". If there is a 5.5" phablet, it would definitely be a totally new category.

Nobody sane would replace a 4" device category with a 5.5" one. It would be suicide. Imagine Samsung discontinuing its entire galaxy S series and instead produce only galaxy notes. For Apple it's even worse. The difference between a 4" screen form factor and a 5.5" one is so vast a gap and replacing one of them with the other would result in the destruction of a whole category - in this case that is the iPhone as we know it.

A phablet does not replace a smartphone just like that. In the Android world that happens gradually. 0.2 inches every year. The only company that really jumped the inches is Nokia. From 4.5" directly to 6". And they haven't got much to lose or destroy anyway.

Even if we see a phablet from Apple, I highly doubt that it would be the only new device. The current iPhone needs a successor that would remain in the same category. I made a thread about how I think the iPhone 6 would look like and 4.5" - 4.8" sounds reasonable.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
waeriyadh