iPhone 6 Features

acerace113

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
Why does Apple need quad core processing? The current iPhone, and recent iPads, all game very well... with dual core. The current iPhone 5S with its little 1.3GHz dual core decimates its quad core multi-gb RAM competition in benchmarks... Again, when Apple feels they need to go quad core, they will... but a 64-bit dual core is more than capable of running games... and the future of 64-bit processing on iPhones has yet to be written. Apple's standard for new device releases, Twice as fast as last years, I think can be accomplished in the iPhone 6 without the need to go quad core.

I am surprised at how much battery Android devices require for a lot of things. Bigger screens being one of them. But seeing as there hasn't been an iPhone with a larger screen yet, we don't know how much extra battery a 4.5" or 4.6" or 5" 720p display will need compared to the 4" Retina on the current iPhone. Apple could introduce a new screen design other than the traditional IPS LCD, perhaps the rumored IGZO display technology from Chimei Innolux, that achieves the larger size and increased resolution, while reducing the amount of power needed to run it.

We don't know. All we know is, Apple's track record would indicate that they won't simply fall in line with the manufacturing practices of their competition. Going 64-bit, instead of quad-core with excessive clock speeds, is hard evidence of that. Apple will zig when everyone else is expecting them to zag...

Apple needs to go all out with the iPhone 6. The "android market" is running out of ideas and features which will give google time to optimize their android os which is bad for Apple's iOS. This is the right time for Apple to intimidate them with powerful hardware and better thought out iOS features and they can do that with the iPhone 6. The only way apple can put a dent in android is if they compete in the spec wars, it shouldn't be that way but it's true. But Apple should at least make one iphone with a dual core for those that use it for work and one iPhone with a quad core for those that want to use it for gaming.

Sent from my iPod touch (5th generation) or iPhone 4S using Tapatalk.

jmr1015

Aug 27, 2013
Visit site
Apple needs to go all out with the iPhone 6. The "android market" is running out of ideas and features which will give google time to optimize their android os which is bad for Apple's iOS.

Google has already had years to optimize Android. It will never be truly optimized as long as it has to work on a handful of completely different platforms from different manufacturers. Fragmentation. This will always be Apple and iOS's strength... and it will always be Android's weakness.

This is the right time for Apple to intimidate them with powerful hardware and better thought out iOS features and they can do that with the iPhone 6.

Apple doesn't need to intimidate anyone. Especially in the ridiculous "spec war" that Android people seem to think is so important. They literally just proved that by releasing a 4" screened 1.3GHz dual core device with 1gb of RAM that not only outperforms nearly everything on the market, but also sold more units over a weekend than the might Galaxy S4, with all its inches and cores and specs, could sell in a month.

The only way apple can put a dent in android is if they compete in the spec wars, it shouldn't be that way but it's true.

They likewise don't need to put a dent in Android's market share. Android has picked up massive market share because as an OS, it can be found on multiple manufacturers and everything from flagship phones and tablets and netbooks, to $100 tablets and chinese phones. Compared manufacturer to manufacturer, the iPhone smashes Android handsets one-on-one in sales figures... and despite Apple's "loss" of market share, their annual revenue is as strong as ever. All this means is, the market is growing... and predominantly at the bottom end of the spectrum in developing markets/poorer countries, where Apple never intended to sell a lot of devices anyway.

The main people yelling about loss of market share are Wall Street types who could care less what is being sold, only that the loss of market share equates to lost opportunity to rally the stock price.

But Apple should at least make one iphone with a dual core for those that use it for work and one iPhone with a quad core for those that want to use it for gaming.

and as I've already stated, the new dual core iPhone and current gen iPads work perfectly well for gaming. Why would Apple need to make a quad core device specifically for gamers when their dual core devices already do it so well?

evorc

Oct 15, 2010
Visit site
Google has already had years to optimize Android. It will never be truly optimized as long as it has to work on a handful of completely different platforms from different manufacturers. Fragmentation. This will always be Apple and iOS's strength... and it will always be Android's weakness.

Apple doesn't need to intimidate anyone. Especially in the ridiculous "spec war" that Android people seem to think is so important. They literally just proved that by releasing a 4" screened 1.3GHz dual core device with 1gb of RAM that not only outperforms nearly everything on the market, but also sold more units over a weekend than the might Galaxy S4, with all its inches and cores and specs, could sell in a month.

They likewise don't need to put a dent in Android's market share. Android has picked up massive market share because as an OS, it can be found on multiple manufacturers and everything from flagship phones and tablets and netbooks, to $100 tablets and chinese phones. Compared manufacturer to manufacturer, the iPhone smashes Android handsets one-on-one in sales figures... and despite Apple's "loss" of market share, their annual revenue is as strong as ever. All this means is, the market is growing... and predominantly at the bottom end of the spectrum in developing markets/poorer countries, where Apple never intended to sell a lot of devices anyway.

The main people yelling about loss of market share are Wall Street types who could care less what is being sold, only that the loss of market share equates to lost opportunity to rally the stock price.

and as I've already stated, the new dual core iPhone and current gen iPads work perfectly well for gaming. Why would Apple need to make a quad core device specifically for gamers when their dual core devices already do it so well?

This.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

acerace113

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site

Android is trying to blend all their services into one OS, that is their ultimate goal (and Microsoft's also).

I agree the "spec war" is ridiculous but google has managed to make people believe that specs are important and that's why Apple needs to come out with a quad core to shut those android fan boys up.

Everyone keeps comparing the iPhone to "android phones" as a whole. The low to mid cost phone market is why android has a large market share and is which is something Apple needs to figure out fast and the only way to do that is to have a better "spec'd" phone compared to their lower cost phone or no one will buy their low cost iPhone.

No argument there, Wall Street people only want to make money and have a huge market share.

A quad core would help bring true physics to games and allow bigger worlds and a lot better AI.

Last edited:

jmr1015

Aug 27, 2013
Visit site
I agree the "spec war" is ridiculous but google has managed to make people believe that specs are important and that why Apple needs to come out with a quad core to shut those android fan boys up.

Google doesn't care about specs. The individual manufacturers of Android handsets have managed to brainwash their customer base in to caring about specs, because it is the only thing that separates them from one another. Apple doesn't need to worry about the majority of these people, as they will never hear the truth anyway.

You don't beat a lier in an argument by you yourself stooping down to lying. Apple doesn't need to beat the "spec war" people by entering the spec war. They need to keep doing what they've been doing. Making handsets whose performance flies in the face of what the spec warriors say is possible.

Everyone keeps comparing the iPhone to "android phones" as a whole. The low to mid cost phone market is why android has a large market share and is which is something Apple needs to figure out fast and the only way to do that is to have a better "spec'd" phone compared to their lower cost phone or no one will buy their low cost iPhone.

The low to midrange handset market is a market Apple never cared about... and I don't think it should be something they should care about. They likewise have never cared about the low to midrange desk top and laptop market... and it has worked out well for them. They are a brand known for quality. At a premium price, but quality above all else. Diving in to the low and midrange market would tarnish that image.

Also, we are confusing the spec war, and Apple's loss of global market share. I do not see the two as being completely intertwined. The loss in global market share to Android as a whole is helped tremendously by the low and midrange handset and tablet market. The increase of Samsung global market share specifically on the high end is due to their marketing dominance in the spec war. These two situations are independent of each other... and both are things Apple shouldn't concern themselves with too much.

Keeping Samsung's flagship devices firmly in their sights is one thing, worrying about Samsungs total market share is another, as Samsung still sells a lot of low and midrange handsets, as well as older model handsets, along side their current model year flagship devices. Apple sells two current model year handsets and one older model handset... and with that meager number of offerings, manages a healthy chunk of market share, compared manufacturer to manufacturer... not operating system to operating system.

A quad core would help bring true physics to games and allow bigger worlds and a lot better AI.

iOS 7 has a physics based UI... The dual core A7, and even the older A6 and A5, handles this fine, as well as gaming, in real-time with little to no lag. As far as I am aware, the same can not be said of Android Jelly Bean, or any of the quad core CPU & GPU and 2gb of RAM having handsets... let alone the older Android handsets that are no longer on the "cutting edge" of Android handset specs... So... why does Apple need quad cores as soon as next year?

Last edited:

jmr1015

Aug 27, 2013
Visit site
Honestly, this argument has grown out of hand. We are talking about a device a year away.

Really, all Apple needs to do is offer the best overall user experience. If they can do that with 4.3, 4.5, 4.8, 5.2" whatever size display... and with dual cores, quad cores, whatever... all that matters is the end product. The resulting performance and overall user experience. Not specs. They know this.

If Apple deems it necessary to go quad core to do this, then so be it. If the iPhone 5S and A7 chip are any indication, I don't think they will need quad cores to accomplish those goals. But that should be the only deciding factor. Not what other manufacturers are doing... Not what specs the next guy is running.

Trees

Dec 26, 2012
Visit site
Well, that didn?t take long...

I would like to see better battery life - even at the expense of an iPhone that is a bit thicker/heavier. And for those who really do want a notification LED, why not do the Apple logo mod on the back of the phone?

Perhaps more RAM and a faster processor... have to keep bumping those specs...

The rest of the stuff I?d like to see are sofware/iOS stuff - landscape home screen, freeflowing icon placement, etc...

I do like the glowing Apple logo mod idea. Hadn't heard of that before. Would be a nice change from the traditional BB approach.

Fausty82

Jun 23, 2010
Visit site
I do like the glowing Apple logo mod idea. Hadn't heard of that before. Would be a nice change from the traditional BB approach.

I personally don’t ever want to see a LED notification on an iPhone... but if it has to be done, at least Apple should do it with style.

acerace113

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
Google doesn't care about specs. The individual manufacturers of Android handsets have managed to brainwash their customer base in to caring about specs, because it is the only thing that separates them from one another. Apple doesn't need to worry about the majority of these people, as they will never hear the truth anyway.

You don't beat a lier in an argument by you yourself stooping down to lying. Apple doesn't need to beat the "spec war" people by entering the spec war. They need to keep doing what they've been doing. Making handsets whose performance flies in the face of what the spec warriors say is possible.

The processor "spec wars" are over, the only thing that can be done is enhancements which is what Apple has done with the A7 so the next logical thing to do is make the A8 a quad core.

The low to midrange handset market is a market Apple never cared about... and I don't think it should be something they should care about. They likewise have never cared about the low to midrange desk top and laptop market... and it has worked out well for them. They are a brand known for quality. At a premium price, but quality above all else. Diving in to the low and midrange market would tarnish that image.

Well Apple should start caring cause the midrange market is growing faster then the high end market but that discussion is for a different thread

Also, we are confusing the spec war, and Apple's loss of global market share. I do not see the two as being completely intertwined. The loss in global market share to Android as a whole is helped tremendously by the low and midrange handset and tablet market. The increase of Samsung global market share specifically on the high end is due to their marketing dominance in the spec war. These two situations are independent of each other... and both are things Apple shouldn't concern themselves with too much.

I blame the media for confusing the two together.

Keeping Samsung's flagship devices firmly in their sights is one thing, worrying about Samsungs total market share is another, as Samsung still sells a lot of low and midrange handsets, as well as older model handsets, along side their current model year flagship devices. Apple sells two current model year handsets and one older model handset... and with that meager number of offerings, manages a healthy chunk of market share, compared manufacturer to manufacturer... not operating system to operating system.

Again the media blows everything out of proportion, but Apple keeps comparing iOS to android so everyone will compare the same way.

iOS 7 has a physics based UI... The dual core A7, and even the older A6 and A5, handles this fine, as well as gaming, in real-time with little to no lag. As far as I am aware, the same can not be said of Android Jelly Bean, or any of the quad core CPU & GPU and 2gb of RAM having handsets... let alone the older Android handsets that are no longer on the "cutting edge" of Android handset specs... So... why does Apple need quad cores as soon as next year?

I haven't used an android device with jelly bean installed so I can't give a honest & fair comparison.

Overall apple is scared of change and taking risks and that's why they need to put a quad core in the iPhone 6 so they can break that fear. Plus a quad core would catch everyone off guard.

My mind is set on quad core for the iPhone 6, but you do make good points so I will give you credit for that and I respect all your opinions that support them.

acerace113

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
Honestly, this argument has grown out of hand. We are talking about a device a year away.

Yes it has but it was a good argument and we were respectful of each other which doesn't happen often with arguments on here.

Really, all Apple needs to do is offer the best overall user experience. If they can do that with 4.3, 4.5, 4.8, 5.2" whatever size display... and with dual cores, quad cores, whatever... all that matters is the end product. The resulting performance and overall user experience. Not specs. They know this.

They do know this but they should take a few risks right?

If Apple deems it necessary to go quad core to do this, then so be it. If the iPhone 5S and A7 chip are any indication, I don't think they will need quad cores to accomplish those goals. But that should be the only deciding factor. Not what other manufacturers are doing... Not what specs the next guy is running.

Only Apple know what they are doing & testing so in about a year we get to find out, that's the fun in guessing what they will unveil next.

Would it help if I said I'm also a PC gamer? That might be a factor as to why I think the iPhone 6 needs a quad core processor.

Last edited:

jmr1015

Aug 27, 2013
Visit site
The processor "spec wars" are over, the only thing that can be done is enhancements which is what Apple has done with the A7 so the next logical thing to do is make the A8 a quad core.

Oh, I doubt that. Most Android device manufacturers are just rolling out their 2.2-2.3GHz Snapdragon 800 stuff... The Note 3 is first to the party with 3gb of RAM... I'm sure Qualcomm is going to make more powerful chips than that... sooner rather than later... and everyone will be scrambling to stuff their next phone with it.

Well Apple should start caring cause the midrange market is growing faster then the high end market but that discussion is for a different thread

Maybe so. But I still think the way they've handled the desktop/laptop market is a perfect strategy to stick to.

I haven't used an android device with jelly bean installed so I can't give a honest & fair comparison.

I've owned one. I had the Nexus 4 on 4.2.2, and then 4.3 Jelly Bean. My roommate owns a Galaxy SIII. My cousin owns a Galaxy S4. Jellybean is not as smooth as some like to claim. It is the best Android experience to date. By far. But it's no iOS.

My Nexus 4 was running a 1.5GHz Snapdragon S4 Pro quad core, Adreno 320 quad core GPU, and 2gb of RAM. My iPhone 4 was on the 1.0GHz A4 Single core, a single core GPU and 512Mb of RAM... and on iOS 6, the iPhone 4 was much smoother to operate day to day than the Nexus 4. That is why I switched from the Nexus back to the iPhone. All that power under the hood, and all it did was drink battery. The OS is the bottleneck.

Overall apple is scared of change and taking risks and that's why they need to put a quad core in the iPhone 6 so they can break that fear. Plus a quad core would catch everyone off guard.

I don't think Apple is afraid. 64-bit is a much braver move than quad core. Everyone is going quad core. That would be the predictable safe move. No one is going 64-bit. That was taking risk. That has already caught everyone off guard.

My mind is set on quad core for the iPhone 6, but you do make good points so I will give you credit for that and I respect all your opinions that support them.

Would it help if I said I'm also a PC gamer? That might be a factor as to why I think the iPhone 6 needs a quad core processor.

and now I get it. lol PC gamers are usually all about overpowered rigs. My roommate is a PC gamer.

Yes it has but it was a good argument and we were respectful of each other which doesn't happen often with arguments on here.

True. :yes:

They do know this but they should take a few risks right?

Yes. But I don't think going quad core is a risk. Everyone has done it. Where is the risk? I think the risk lies in finding new and innovative ways to increase performance, rather than the tried and true, well travelled road of more cores, more RAM. The 64-bit A7 was a risk. Whatever the A8 is, dual or quad core, it won't be a risk... it'll be an evolution of the risk that was the A7.

Don't get me wrong, I can't wait to see what an iPhone can do with a 64-bit 1.7-1.9GHz quad core... but I would be surprised if that comes to us next year.

PinkBanana

Dec 2, 2009
Visit site
Bluetooth capability that allows you to send to non iOS users. I'm sick of emailing of texting pictures to my friends who have androids. Apple have never allowed this and it would save me a fortune in data. Please sort it apple. I may have to switch to android next time I want a new phone.

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
I just want to put this out there, but there is not going to be a 5"+ iPhone next year...I'd put money on it. So those of you hinging your hopes on seeing a big iPhone released in 2014 might as well go ahead and start voicing your frustrations and talking about how Apple "dropped the ball", because that is what you're facing next fall...if the size is changed at all, I would imagine it will probably be equal to or < 4.3".

jmr1015

Aug 27, 2013
Visit site
I just want to put this out there, but there is not going to be a 5"+ iPhone next year...I'd put money on it. So those of you hinging your hopes on seeing a big iPhone released in 2014 might as well go ahead and start voicing your frustrations and talking about how Apple "dropped the ball", because that is what you're facing next fall...if the size is changed at all, I would imagine it will probably be equal to or < 4.3".

I pretty much agree... I think 5" is not likely. Possible, but not likely. I'd bet on 4.2 to 4.5" with 4.7-4.8" with longer odds.

Les74

May 30, 2011
Visit site

Possibly, but I have a feeling that a 4.8" version is coming next year.

Although, I also thought the Pirates were going to the WS this year, so.......

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Thomas Woods