I agree the "spec war" is ridiculous but google has managed to make people believe that specs are important and that why Apple needs to come out with a quad core to shut those android fan boys up.
    Google doesn't care about specs. The individual manufacturers of Android handsets have managed to brainwash their customer base in to caring about specs, because it is the only thing that separates them from one another. Apple doesn't need to worry about the majority of these people, as they will never hear the truth anyway.

You don't beat a lier in an argument by you yourself stooping down to lying. Apple doesn't need to beat the "spec war" people by entering the spec war. They need to keep doing what they've been doing. Making handsets whose performance flies in the face of what the spec warriors say is possible.

Everyone keeps comparing the iPhone to "android phones" as a whole. The low to mid cost phone market is why android has a large market share and is which is something Apple needs to figure out fast and the only way to do that is to have a better "spec'd" phone compared to their lower cost phone or no one will buy their low cost iPhone.
    The low to midrange handset market is a market Apple never cared about... and I don't think it should be something they should care about. They likewise have never cared about the low to midrange desk top and laptop market... and it has worked out well for them. They are a brand known for quality. At a premium price, but quality above all else. Diving in to the low and midrange market would tarnish that image.

Also, we are confusing the spec war, and Apple's loss of global market share. I do not see the two as being completely intertwined. The loss in global market share to Android as a whole is helped tremendously by the low and midrange handset and tablet market. The increase of Samsung global market share specifically on the high end is due to their marketing dominance in the spec war. These two situations are independent of each other... and both are things Apple shouldn't concern themselves with too much.

Keeping Samsung's flagship devices firmly in their sights is one thing, worrying about Samsungs total market share is another, as Samsung still sells a lot of low and midrange handsets, as well as older model handsets, along side their current model year flagship devices. Apple sells two current model year handsets and one older model handset... and with that meager number of offerings, manages a healthy chunk of market share, compared manufacturer to manufacturer... not operating system to operating system.

A quad core would help bring true physics to games and allow bigger worlds and a lot better AI.
    iOS 7 has a physics based UI... The dual core A7, and even the older A6 and A5, handles this fine, as well as gaming, in real-time with little to no lag. As far as I am aware, the same can not be said of Android Jelly Bean, or any of the quad core CPU & GPU and 2gb of RAM having handsets... let alone the older Android handsets that are no longer on the "cutting edge" of Android handset specs... So... why does Apple need quad cores as soon as next year?
    Last edited by jmr1015; 10-10-2013 at 08:53 PM.
    10-10-2013 08:42 PM
    Honestly, this argument has grown out of hand. We are talking about a device a year away.

Really, all Apple needs to do is offer the best overall user experience. If they can do that with 4.3, 4.5, 4.8, 5.2" whatever size display... and with dual cores, quad cores, whatever... all that matters is the end product. The resulting performance and overall user experience. Not specs. They know this.

If Apple deems it necessary to go quad core to do this, then so be it. If the iPhone 5S and A7 chip are any indication, I don't think they will need quad cores to accomplish those goals. But that should be the only deciding factor. Not what other manufacturers are doing... Not what specs the next guy is running.
    10-10-2013 09:15 PM
    Well, that didnt take long...

I would like to see better battery life - even at the expense of an iPhone that is a bit thicker/heavier. And for those who really do want a notification LED, why not do the Apple logo mod on the back of the phone?

Perhaps more RAM and a faster processor... have to keep bumping those specs...

The rest of the stuff Id like to see are sofware/iOS stuff - landscape home screen, freeflowing icon placement, etc...
    I do like the glowing Apple logo mod idea. Hadn't heard of that before. Would be a nice change from the traditional BB approach.
    10-10-2013 09:26 PM
    I do like the glowing Apple logo mod idea. Hadn't heard of that before. Would be a nice change from the traditional BB approach.
    I personally don’t ever want to see a LED notification on an iPhone... but if it has to be done, at least Apple should do it with style.
    10-10-2013 09:36 PM
    Google doesn't care about specs. The individual manufacturers of Android handsets have managed to brainwash their customer base in to caring about specs, because it is the only thing that separates them from one another. Apple doesn't need to worry about the majority of these people, as they will never hear the truth anyway.

You don't beat a lier in an argument by you yourself stooping down to lying. Apple doesn't need to beat the "spec war" people by entering the spec war. They need to keep doing what they've been doing. Making handsets whose performance flies in the face of what the spec warriors say is possible.
    The processor "spec wars" are over, the only thing that can be done is enhancements which is what Apple has done with the A7 so the next logical thing to do is make the A8 a quad core.

The low to midrange handset market is a market Apple never cared about... and I don't think it should be something they should care about. They likewise have never cared about the low to midrange desk top and laptop market... and it has worked out well for them. They are a brand known for quality. At a premium price, but quality above all else. Diving in to the low and midrange market would tarnish that image.
    Well Apple should start caring cause the midrange market is growing faster then the high end market but that discussion is for a different thread

Also, we are confusing the spec war, and Apple's loss of global market share. I do not see the two as being completely intertwined. The loss in global market share to Android as a whole is helped tremendously by the low and midrange handset and tablet market. The increase of Samsung global market share specifically on the high end is due to their marketing dominance in the spec war. These two situations are independent of each other... and both are things Apple shouldn't concern themselves with too much.
    I blame the media for confusing the two together.

Keeping Samsung's flagship devices firmly in their sights is one thing, worrying about Samsungs total market share is another, as Samsung still sells a lot of low and midrange handsets, as well as older model handsets, along side their current model year flagship devices. Apple sells two current model year handsets and one older model handset... and with that meager number of offerings, manages a healthy chunk of market share, compared manufacturer to manufacturer... not operating system to operating system.
    Again the media blows everything out of proportion, but Apple keeps comparing iOS to android so everyone will compare the same way.

iOS 7 has a physics based UI... The dual core A7, and even the older A6 and A5, handles this fine, as well as gaming, in real-time with little to no lag. As far as I am aware, the same can not be said of Android Jelly Bean, or any of the quad core CPU & GPU and 2gb of RAM having handsets... let alone the older Android handsets that are no longer on the "cutting edge" of Android handset specs... So... why does Apple need quad cores as soon as next year?
    I haven't used an android device with jelly bean installed so I can't give a honest & fair comparison.

Overall apple is scared of change and taking risks and that's why they need to put a quad core in the iPhone 6 so they can break that fear. Plus a quad core would catch everyone off guard.

My mind is set on quad core for the iPhone 6, but you do make good points so I will give you credit for that and I respect all your opinions that support them.

Sent from my iPod touch (5th generation) or iPhone 4S using Tapatalk.
    10-10-2013 10:56 PM
    Honestly, this argument has grown out of hand. We are talking about a device a year away.
    Yes it has but it was a good argument and we were respectful of each other which doesn't happen often with arguments on here.

Really, all Apple needs to do is offer the best overall user experience. If they can do that with 4.3, 4.5, 4.8, 5.2" whatever size display... and with dual cores, quad cores, whatever... all that matters is the end product. The resulting performance and overall user experience. Not specs. They know this.
    They do know this but they should take a few risks right?

If Apple deems it necessary to go quad core to do this, then so be it. If the iPhone 5S and A7 chip are any indication, I don't think they will need quad cores to accomplish those goals. But that should be the only deciding factor. Not what other manufacturers are doing... Not what specs the next guy is running.
    Only Apple know what they are doing & testing so in about a year we get to find out, that's the fun in guessing what they will unveil next.

Would it help if I said I'm also a PC gamer? That might be a factor as to why I think the iPhone 6 needs a quad core processor.

Sent from my iPod touch (5th generation) or iPhone 4S using Tapatalk.
    Last edited by acerace113; 10-10-2013 at 11:19 PM.
    10-10-2013 11:03 PM
    The processor "spec wars" are over, the only thing that can be done is enhancements which is what Apple has done with the A7 so the next logical thing to do is make the A8 a quad core.
    Oh, I doubt that. Most Android device manufacturers are just rolling out their 2.2-2.3GHz Snapdragon 800 stuff... The Note 3 is first to the party with 3gb of RAM... I'm sure Qualcomm is going to make more powerful chips than that... sooner rather than later... and everyone will be scrambling to stuff their next phone with it.

Well Apple should start caring cause the midrange market is growing faster then the high end market but that discussion is for a different thread
    Maybe so. But I still think the way they've handled the desktop/laptop market is a perfect strategy to stick to.

I haven't used an android device with jelly bean installed so I can't give a honest & fair comparison.
    I've owned one. I had the Nexus 4 on 4.2.2, and then 4.3 Jelly Bean. My roommate owns a Galaxy SIII. My cousin owns a Galaxy S4. Jellybean is not as smooth as some like to claim. It is the best Android experience to date. By far. But it's no iOS.

My Nexus 4 was running a 1.5GHz Snapdragon S4 Pro quad core, Adreno 320 quad core GPU, and 2gb of RAM. My iPhone 4 was on the 1.0GHz A4 Single core, a single core GPU and 512Mb of RAM... and on iOS 6, the iPhone 4 was much smoother to operate day to day than the Nexus 4. That is why I switched from the Nexus back to the iPhone. All that power under the hood, and all it did was drink battery. The OS is the bottleneck.

Overall apple is scared of change and taking risks and that's why they need to put a quad core in the iPhone 6 so they can break that fear. Plus a quad core would catch everyone off guard.
    I don't think Apple is afraid. 64-bit is a much braver move than quad core. Everyone is going quad core. That would be the predictable safe move. No one is going 64-bit. That was taking risk. That has already caught everyone off guard.

My mind is set on quad core for the iPhone 6, but you do make good points so I will give you credit for that and I respect all your opinions that support them.
    Would it help if I said I'm also a PC gamer? That might be a factor as to why I think the iPhone 6 needs a quad core processor.
    and now I get it. lol PC gamers are usually all about overpowered rigs. My roommate is a PC gamer.

Yes it has but it was a good argument and we were respectful of each other which doesn't happen often with arguments on here.
    True.

They do know this but they should take a few risks right?
    Yes. But I don't think going quad core is a risk. Everyone has done it. Where is the risk? I think the risk lies in finding new and innovative ways to increase performance, rather than the tried and true, well travelled road of more cores, more RAM. The 64-bit A7 was a risk. Whatever the A8 is, dual or quad core, it won't be a risk... it'll be an evolution of the risk that was the A7.

Don't get me wrong, I can't wait to see what an iPhone can do with a 64-bit 1.7-1.9GHz quad core... but I would be surprised if that comes to us next year.
    10-11-2013 03:12 AM
    Bluetooth capability that allows you to send to non iOS users. I'm sick of emailing of texting pictures to my friends who have androids. Apple have never allowed this and it would save me a fortune in data. Please sort it apple. I may have to switch to android next time I want a new phone.
    10-11-2013 06:59 AM
    I just want to put this out there, but there is not going to be a 5"+ iPhone next year...I'd put money on it. So those of you hinging your hopes on seeing a big iPhone released in 2014 might as well go ahead and start voicing your frustrations and talking about how Apple "dropped the ball", because that is what you're facing next fall...if the size is changed at all, I would imagine it will probably be equal to or < 4.3".
    10-11-2013 05:32 PM
    I just want to put this out there, but there is not going to be a 5"+ iPhone next year...I'd put money on it. So those of you hinging your hopes on seeing a big iPhone released in 2014 might as well go ahead and start voicing your frustrations and talking about how Apple "dropped the ball", because that is what you're facing next fall...if the size is changed at all, I would imagine it will probably be equal to or < 4.3".
    I pretty much agree... I think 5" is not likely. Possible, but not likely. I'd bet on 4.2 to 4.5" with 4.7-4.8" with longer odds.
    10-11-2013 06:28 PM
    I personally don’t ever want to see a LED notification on an iPhone... but if it has to be done, at least Apple should do it with style.
    Why don't you want to see an LED notification? Just curious.
    10-11-2013 06:32 PM
    I was thinking of a larger screen too. Pls pls plsss. But not to wide apple okay? haha and a better camera. that will be perfect!
    10-11-2013 07:03 PM
    Please search the forums. My utter disdain for that um, "feature", is well documented. And I am far from alone ...
    10-11-2013 07:16 PM
    Possibly, but I have a feeling that a 4.8" version is coming next year.

Although, I also thought the Pirates were going to the WS this year, so.......
    10-11-2013 08:02 PM
    4.2" Screen
    2200mAh battery
    LED Notification
    Edge to edge display
    10-12-2013 02:04 PM
    The first thing is the resolution.

I don't think Apple will ever go proper 720p or 1080p display. It would require too much of a design on the developer's part.

That said, I am thinking they could actually triple the original iphone's display (which is 568x320 for a 16:9 display), for a final resolution of 1704x960. I am not sure how this plays with the current 1136x640 apps though.

New form factor, 2gb ram, A8 processor (still dual-core), more camera improvements, AC wifi, LTE-A. Maybe one or two extra hardware features. I think the rest is really on the software side.
    10-13-2013 04:48 AM
    The first thing is the resolution.

I don't think Apple will ever go proper 720p or 1080p display. It would require too much of a design on the developer's part.

That said, I am thinking they could actually triple the original iphone's display (which is 568x320 for a 16:9 display), for a final resolution of 1704x960. I am not sure how this plays with the current 1136x640 apps though.

New form factor, 2gb ram, A8 processor (still dual-core), more camera improvements, AC wifi, LTE-A. Maybe one or two extra hardware features. I think the rest is really on the software side.
    I think the 4 inch screen would be too small to fully appreciate a 1080p resolution too...
    10-13-2013 05:37 AM
    A fingerprint reader that is under the screen rather than in the home button.
    Screen that can stay 'always on' in a low power mode
    10-13-2013 06:23 AM
    I'm hoping it is a larger screen than the current 4". I would be moving from a z10 and I really don't want a smaller screen. I'm hoping 4.5 inch
    10-16-2013 10:37 PM
    NO size change AT ALL, if they make the screen bigger, the device stays the same
    Even better camera, front and back
    More Ram
    MORE POW-AH
    10-17-2013 04:43 PM
    If I receive a text message or email, my phones makes a sound and a preview of the message appears on my screen whether the screen is locked or not. I don't see where an annoying, flashing LED light adds anything.
    10-17-2013 05:31 PM
    As long as they build the phone from the ground up meaning useful features and leave the gimmicks at home and to the Android phones I am good and also no screen size over 4 1/2 inches.
    Such items as processors and batteries would be what I would want to see first and with Apple knowledge, money and talent I would love to see them come up with a battery that does not even exist yet and I don't mean lit ion or anything like that but brand new technology that would set cell phone (iPhones) far ahead of any other cell phone on the market when iPhone 6 launches.

Of course to go with this ground up build, a ground up OS to go with it. Anything else to me would not be a huge concern and one last thing that makes iPhone so famous... The form factor and use of materials to build the phone and what it looks like has got to be there as well with this ground up build. That is my 2 cents.
    10-19-2013 08:43 PM
47 12