iPhone 6... should it be bigger than a 5" display?

If Apple goes bigger on the iPhone 6, how much bigger do you think they should go on the display?

• 4.5"

Votes: 49 43.8%
  • 5"

Votes: 51 45.5%
  • 5.5"

Votes: 8 7.1%
  • 6"

Votes: 4 3.6%

• Total voters

anon(279851)

Apr 16, 2011
Visit site
Kch, u can't really blame anyone for "whining" about a bigger screen. It's reasonable to want that. It's the reason I don't really play games on my 5s. Once the screen size increases then it will be fine.

finn5975

Banned
Sep 13, 2012
Visit site
It kills me how the 'witty' response from various souls who are content with the current screen size seems to be "just use an ipad mini" or "maybe they can add the ability to make calls from the mini" as if to suggest that's some viable answer. I think it's pretty clear that the ipad mini, at 7.9" with a fair amount of bezel, will not fit in anyone's pockets. To suggest that it makes just as much sense to "quit whining and carry around an ipad instead if you want a larger screen" is childish at best.

There is nothing wrong with anyone wishing their next iphone be larger, whether it be 4.5" or 5". Competitors have already shown that it is possible to make an extremely pocketable, and one-handed usable device, at those sizes. And before we get the "then just go get an android phone and quit complaining" backlash....remember that many like myself do not want android as an operating system and are content to use a 4" iphone while merely hoping one day a larger phone is offered.

finn5975

Banned
Sep 13, 2012
Visit site
Biggest difference here is that you are stating a preference for a larger screen but admitting that you weighed the pros/cons and decided to stick with the smaller screened device. That's great (also great if you decided the bigger screen was more important and you switched). But you are not whining about it and acting like Apple "owes" you a bigger screen.

I 100% agree there are whiners. Heck we see it in many different aspects. And they bother me a lot too. I just find it equally bothersome when anyone, whining or not, gets the famous "just use an iPad as your phone" retort. As if it's a) a solution and b) anything larger than the current screen size must immediately default to 7.9".

Alex_Hong

Jul 30, 2012
Visit site
I think 4.3" would be a nice bump up. I had a Motorola RAZR i with 4.3" screen in a remarkably similar size to the iPhone 5 and it is still very easy to use one-handed since it has almost no bezels on the sides. But no, it shouldn't be any larger than a 5" screen imo.

Premium1

Trusted Member
Aug 17, 2011
Visit site
Make it 4.5-5. Get rid of the prone to break/malfunction physical home button and you could design a larger iPhone without making the overall size larger. Unless you have teeny hands, a 5" device done right is still usable one handed. The current iPhone has lots of wasted bezel space. I mean look at the moto x with 4.7 inch screen that is pretty much the same size as the current iPhone.. Just saying.

Premium1

Trusted Member
Aug 17, 2011
Visit site
There are those of us that have poor eyesight that would like a bigger screen.

Shhhhh that is too much common sense for those who are perfectly happy with the current size of the iPhone and believe because they say so that no one should ever even question what apple has given and just take whatever they are given because apple clearly knows what everyone wants aka they are fine taking what apple gives with no question.

Fausty82

Jun 23, 2010
Visit site
Make it 4.5-5. Get rid of the prone to break/malfunction physical home button and you could design a larger iPhone without making the overall size larger. Unless you have teeny hands, a 5" device done right is still usable one handed. The current iPhone has lots of wasted bezel space. I mean look at the moto x with 4.7 inch screen that is pretty much the same size as the current iPhone.. Just saying.

If you get rid of the home button, what will become of the fingerprint reader (TouchID)? Don’t even suggest putting it on the back of the phone...

And just an observation not necessarily directed at you .... I see a lot of comments suggesting that we look at this phone or look at that one... yet if Apple does anything that anyone in the history of the world ever thought of or theorized about, we hear how they copy everyone... can’t have it both ways, my friend...

Premium1

Trusted Member
Aug 17, 2011
Visit site
If you get rid of the home button, what will become of the fingerprint reader (TouchID)? Don’t even suggest putting it on the back of the phone...

And just an observation not necessarily directed at you .... I see a lot of comments suggesting that we look at this phone or look at that one... yet if Apple does anything that anyone in the history of the world ever thought of or theorized about, we hear how they copy everyone... can’t have it both ways, my friend...

Well they have already done it with the finger print scanner, and if they go larger/curved there is someone else that has already done it. They could do lots of things with the home button, (make it smaller, etc) It's apple, if anyone could figure out how to do it, it would be them

anon(279851)

Apr 16, 2011
Visit site
ANY size increase will be much appreciated. It's something that should have been addressed YEARS ago. And the 4inch screen doesn't even count IMO.

lhgolfr

Jun 21, 2012
Visit site
I would look at coming back to the iPhone if it had a 5" or bigger screen. I had a iPhone 4 and loved it except for two things. 1. The screen size. I found my self using my phone more than my pc and the small screen size just gave me headaches. 2. External storage. I do not think that it is worth $100 to go from a 16 gb phone to a 32 gb when sd cards do not cost that much for a 16 gb jump. If the 32 gb phone had features that the 16 gb version didn't, that would be a different story. That is the reason I switched to a Note 2 for the screen size and external storage. I like Apple's os better than the Android and as far as people talking about using one hand vs two, I never used just one hand to type anyway. So if the iPhone 6 or future models come in the 5-6" range, then I will definitely be looking at the iPhone once again.

DYLANHABKIRK

Sep 12, 2012
Visit site
I voted 5", and after viewing the results, it seems to be the most warranted, and desired size.

I think going too big too fast isn't a good step for Apple. They do displays well, and quality.

If they move to 5" from 4" it just seems natural.

I need at least a 1080p resolution though - which seems to be becoming the market standard across the board right now.

Nonetheless, I'm sure Apple will surprise us all with 2014's releases. Hopefully, and in all likelihood we'll see many leaks. Which not only fuel speculation, but desire.

Premium1

Trusted Member
Aug 17, 2011
Visit site
I voted 5", and after viewing the results, it seems to be the most warranted, and desired size.

I think going too big too fast isn't a good step for Apple. They do displays well, and quality.

If they move to 5" from 4" it just seems natural.

I need at least a 1080p resolution though - which seems to be becoming the market standard across the board right now.

Nonetheless, I'm sure Apple will surprise us all with 2014's releases. Hopefully, and in all likelihood we'll see many leaks. Which not only fuel speculation, but desire.

Apple likes to be different ( see lightning and 30 pin chargers) so I could see them coming up with some weird resolution like they use with iPads.

Nov 7, 2012
Visit site
Shhhhh that is too much common sense for those who are perfectly happy with the current size of the iPhone and believe because they say so that no one should ever even question what apple has given and just take whatever they are given because apple clearly knows what everyone wants aka they are fine taking what apple gives with no question.
Honestly, iPhone/Apple fans are the only ones that consider the "screen size question" a call to arms, and I'm not sure why. You weathered the jump from 3.5" - 4"; surely you can handle a further half inch increase. There is quite a bit of wasted space with side bezels - remove those and you have a phone with more real estate and is still pocketable. Win/win.

bembol

Trusted Member
Oct 29, 2013
Visit site
Having used the LG G2 for a few months, I vote 5.2" with Thin Bezels. I thought it was the perfect size even with one handed use.

If not 4.7" will suffice. I love it on the hTc One.

Hot94Z28

Jul 13, 2011
Visit site
I have a note 2 and love the screen size.I got use to the size fast and using it for the web and reading documents I can't go back now.My upgrade is coming up bought the time the next note and iPhone is will see what is offered see if I go back to Apple.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using iMore Forums mobile app

Hot94Z28

Jul 13, 2011
Visit site
Jimmy Kimmel to the rescue... proving that there are a lot of gullible people out there...

http://youtu.be/oprUI6nupfc

I have a note 2 and love the screen size.I got use to the size fast and using it for the web and reading documents I can't go back now.My upgrade is coming up about the time the next note and iPhone is out will see what is offered see if I go back to Apple.

wolfedude88

Oct 10, 2011
Visit site
I still think 4.5-5 would be perfect, the 4 inch screen is the only thing that still pushes me away from the iphone after awhile and I am sure I am not alone. Sure some love the size others love the current size as they loved the size before it.

If anyone has tried out a moto x it has a 4.7 in screen and it is very easy to use one handed, if the bezels were a little smaller like the G2 it would honestly be perfect.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tomwex73