iPhone 6 Plus damaged, what can I expect at my appointment?

I

iMore Question

iPhone 6 Plus damaged

I purchased an iPhone 6 Plus 6 months ago my third iPhone through the Apple Store. I accidentally dropped it Wednesday night and on the left side of the phone it has split open I can see inside the phone now. But also a strange smell is coming off the phone now as well. I don't have apple care have never needed it as none of my apple products before have had any damage before. So with this in mind what should I expect at my Genius Bar apt at my Apple Store today? Can I get a replacement phone .

anon(9602380)

Aug 14, 2015
Visit site
Re: iPhone 6 Plus damaged

Welcome to iMore!

That is going to be up to the store. I would go in with the expectation that they will charge you a replacement fee as [URL="https://www.apple.com/legal/warranty/products/ios-warranty-document-us.html#mn_p]Apple's warranty[/URL] does not cover that kind of damage. I have heard and read of stories where the Genius will just replace it, but again I would not go in counting on it. It sounds like the phone is quite damaged from what you state. Just be honest with them about how it happened and do not be aggressive either. Most of all be prepared to have to pay for the replacement.

This is why I am a supporter of AppleCare. It is scenarios just like this where it is great to have it.

Jezza23

Jul 11, 2015
Visit site

Your iPhone should have warranty as it's only 6 months old, so before trying to do something that may damage it even more, take it to an Apple Store. Hope it helps!

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site

Your iPhone should have warranty as it's only 6 months old, so before trying to do something that may damage it even more, take it to an Apple Store. Hope it helps!

The one year Applecare warranty does not cover this kind of damage. Only the two year Applecare+ covers it.

Butterfly2

Mar 8, 2016
Visit site

Apple care would replace but manufacturers warranty don't cover! U have to pay 100$ if u had apple care an u would get a new phone! I have 2 iPhone 6s Plus 128gb and 68gb bought 2 years apple care for them both plus paid for both outright so I gotta protect them! It's worth it to me!

shief24

Mar 24, 2013
Visit site

I have apple care plus on my ipad. Didn't buy it for my 6+ but of course I cracked it. Anyway, I had a preexisting genius appointment because the sound quality was bad on my phone. Took it in and instead of fixing the screen they gave me a new one for the cost of a screen replacement. Most likely they'll fix it for you. For the fee.

Closingracer

Sep 24, 2014
Visit site
I have Apple care so when I cracked my screen they offered to fix the device or just offer a new one. It was 10 pm and I was tired from working all day so I decided to just take a replacement instead of waiting for them to fix it. The store was the fifth Ave store in NYC which is open 24/7 but is basically crowded 24/7 as well.

To fix an iPhone 6 plus I believe it's $150 for the screen.

Closingracer

Sep 24, 2014
Visit site

Welcome to iMore!

That is going to be up to the store. I would go in with the expectation that they will charge you a replacement fee as [URL="https://www.apple.com/legal/warranty/products/ios-warranty-document-us.html#mn_p]Apple's warranty[/URL] does not cover that kind of damage. I have heard and read of stories where the Genius will just replace it, but again I would not go in counting on it. It sounds like the phone is quite damaged from what you state. Just be honest with them about how it happened and do not be aggressive either. Most of all be prepared to have to pay for the replacement.

This is why I am a supporter of AppleCare. It is scenarios just like this where it is great to have it.

With the Apple care it only really helps if you break the device twice..... And is an iPhone 6 plus

Apple care for iPhone 6-6 plus: $99
Using Apple care: $79

Total price for one fix: $179 +sales tax

Total price for two fixes: $255

Fix iPhone 6 without Apple care

First: $109
second: $218

IPhone 6 plus :

First: $129
Second: $260

Of course this is assuming you buy Apple care to solely cover broken screens.

As far the iPhone 6s and 6s plus goes I haven't checked the prices for those since I don't own one but I know they increased the prices of Apple care to $130 or something.