So, I unfortunately dropped my iPhone face down today and I'm wondering how resistant these phones are to drops. It wasn't a big fall, like less than a foot, and I'm wondering how strong the glass is. There's no cracks or anything, but I'm worried about the touch digitizer and multitouch. If it seems like it's ok, it should be fine right? I'm not noticing any obvious loss of touch recognition
    02-14-2016 11:16 PM
    IMO the iPhone is tough and durable but not unbreakable. Whether it is damaged or not depends on how it was dropped (corner, back, face, etc.), the surface it was dropped on, and the height it was dropped from. If your phone has no physical damage and is operating normally then it's probably ok. However you always have the option of taking it to the Apple Store.
    02-14-2016 11:40 PM
    So, I unfortunately dropped my iPhone face down today and I'm wondering how resistant these phones are to drops. It wasn't a big fall, like less than a foot, and I'm wondering how strong the glass is. There's no cracks or anything, but I'm worried about the touch digitizer and multitouch. If it seems like it's ok, it should be fine right? I'm not noticing any obvious loss of touch recognition
    It's fine then if there's no visible damage & everything is working as it should. Any phone can break depending how it was dropped.
    02-15-2016 12:07 AM
    Well to be honest, the drop wasn't even a drop. I put it face down on a glass table and when I picked it up it tapped against the glass.
    02-15-2016 12:12 AM
    Well to be honest, the drop wasn't even a drop. I put it face down on a glass table and when I picked it up it tapped against the glass.
    So u bumped the phone against the table & you're worried it's damaged internally now ???? Cmon dude, u can't be serious. The phone is fine.
    Jesus Pantaleon likes this.
    02-15-2016 03:04 AM
    So u bumped the phone against the table & you're worried it's damaged internally now ???? Cmon dude, u can't be serious. The phone is fine.
    I'm not worried about internal damage, just touchscreen damage. Sorry, I know it sounds crazy.
    02-15-2016 10:58 AM
    It's fine.

I have dropped mine in my garage, bathroom on a tile floor, etc and no issues. That's with the Apple leather case too not an otterbox or similar.

If you don't see a crack and if the touch screen works then forget about it.
    mumfoau likes this.
    02-15-2016 11:53 AM
    I'm not worried about internal damage, just touchscreen damage. Sorry, I know it sounds crazy.
    It's cool, I promise u the phone is fine. Are u using any kinda of protection ?
    02-15-2016 11:55 AM
    It's probably broken.

All kidding aside, why would you pretend that you dropped it only to later respond that you simply set it face down on a glass table? I'm assuming it's because you realized that you're worrying about nothing. Your iPhone is fine.
    02-15-2016 11:57 AM
    It's cool, I promise u the phone is fine. Are u using any kinda of protection ?
    I'm now using a tech 21 case. It's just I wasn't using a case before and I was worried there could have been damage to the touch digitizer or something.
    02-15-2016 01:51 PM
    Most likely you have delaygate. Its a common problem with the iPhone. It is especially prevalent with the 6 and 6s. What happens is after a short to medium drop, the phone appears to be normal but after about 12.5 to 15 days you get an intermittent fault. This is attributed to a delayed reaction to the drop. You may want to take it to the Apple store and tell them that you want the delaygate test run on the phone. Any genius bar tech will know exactly what to do. Let us know what happens.
    02-15-2016 07:10 PM
    Most likely you have delaygate. Its a common problem with the iPhone. It is especially prevalent with the 6 and 6s. What happens is after a short to medium drop, the phone appears to be normal but after about 12.5 to 15 days you get an intermittent fault. This is attributed to a delayed reaction to the drop. You may want to take it to the Apple store and tell them that you want the delaygate test run on the phone. Any genius bar tech will know exactly what to do. Let us know what happens.
    I assume your screwing with me.
    02-15-2016 08:36 PM
    Here is a friends iPhone 6. The phone fell barely two feet onto a hard tiled floor and the display shattered.

How resistant are these phones to drops?-img_9888.jpg
    02-16-2016 12:56 AM
    I assume your screwing with me.
    Yes, they are, just carry the phone in bubble wrap for six days and the chances of delaygate drops to less than 5%... They really had you going LOL...
    Jesus Pantaleon and xtremeled like this.
    02-16-2016 01:09 AM
    Here is a friends iPhone 6. The phone fell barely two feet onto a hard tiled floor and the display shattered.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_9888.JPG 
Views:	62 
Size:	2.64 MB 
ID:	102420
    This what happened to an iPhone after it was dropped barely two feet (24 inches) on a hard tile floor....WOW. I can almost drop an egg that distance and it wouldn't incur that much damage.
    02-16-2016 06:18 AM

Crazy! I'm a firm believer that it how it lands is just as important as how far it falls.
    02-16-2016 06:25 AM
    Crazy! I'm a firm believer that it how it lands is just as important as how far it falls.
    That's true. Maybe more so than the distance. I've seen all sorts of scenarios with drops. On average, those with the least damage wear a decent case. And there's no real evidence a screen protector of any kind actually helps. They do give the user peace of mind.
    02-16-2016 07:32 AM

Looks fine.

Spencerdl likes this.
    02-16-2016 08:01 AM
    Looks fine.

Haha Robert
    02-16-2016 08:22 AM
    It's been about two months now since the display shattered and she is still using that iPhone today. I told her at the time to take it to the Apple store because they could be generous and repair it for free since she bought it in August. She hasn't done it and probably won't.
    02-16-2016 10:05 AM
    It's been about two months now since the display shattered and she is still using that iPhone today. I told her at the time to take it to the Apple store because they could be generous and repair it for free since she bought it in August. She hasn't done it and probably won't.
    That makes me sad. I've known others that have gone long periods of time using iPhones with cracked screens. I couldn't do it.
    02-16-2016 10:07 AM
    Several years ago, I dropped a 4S onto a sidewalk. It landed on a corner and slid about six feet away. Picked it up and the only thing that happened was that the corner just had a little dent in it. Those phones had the metal band around the side all the way around kind of like the 5S does.
    02-16-2016 10:12 AM
    Looks fine.

Sure looks like most of my daughters phones... It'd fit right in...
    02-16-2016 11:41 AM
    Several years ago, I dropped a 4S onto a sidewalk. It landed on a corner and slid about six feet away. Picked it up and the only thing that happened was that the corner just had a little dent in it. Those phones had the metal band around the side all the way around kind of like the 5S does.
    The dent is one thing, shattered screen is another. A dent I could live with Just put a case on it!
    02-17-2016 05:46 AM
    A week ago I dropped iPhone 6 Plus on a pavement and got crack in glass. The phone was in original Apple case, but it did not prevent screen crack.

It is a small crack and phone is perfectly usable, but still the glass screen is a weak point. Do not drop it a put the phone in tough case that protects glass screen.
    02-17-2016 09:11 AM
44 12